WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I posted already this morning but don't find my post. GRRRR! I must have skipped a step posting, and I've deleted the post I wrote. Dang! :grumble:

Sylvia: I think you are awesome and possibly the world's best grandmother. I love your pottery based on the photos you've shared. Time to woman-up and realize what a wonderful person you are. :wink: :flowerforyou:

Mary from MN: Praying for your DS and his family. I hope they are safe. :heart:

Gloworm in WA: Saint Helens is across the river from Ridgefield, WA and about 25 miles or so NW of Portland. We moved here after our youngest graduated from high school so I have no personal experience with the public school system. I also have no idea about rental availability or cost. The nearest hospitals are in Portland & Longview. The local fire department has first-rate paramedics. They've saved DH's life twice when he was experiencing severe insulin reactions. We are happy here. Good luck with your housing situation. :flowerforyou:

I'm rethinking whether I have the courage to paint my own trim after the window installation is completed. It is the second story bedroom window that has me spooked. I may climb up on the scaffolding and see how confident I feel up there.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/url
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

fanncy - sending positive thoughts to your loved ones, i was in a hurricane when we were in mexico, but i was about 17 so i was a little uninformed at the potential of what it can do to a beachside area. we all came out ok.

gloworminwa - hope you find someplace to go that is to your liking. are u looking for a house or apartment.

grandmallie - hope you feel better.

yesterday was 4weeks down with this sling thing. my hats off to people that only work out at home, it is a discipline to do it, when the cozy bed is upstairs. i haven't missed a day but still.

type to ya later
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Mary I contacted you about Sunday before reading the posts. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The sermon this week was on prayer and its power. If you are not up to meeting Sunday I understand.

Glo so sorry about your housing situation. It sounds like the home is full of mold. As hard as it is to move it does not sound healthy to live there. This happened to the house next door. The previous owners never replaced their 40 year old roof and water poured into the home. They were foreclosed on and left. The house was condemned but the new owners got around it and rented the home. I wish they had a test when you walk into a home or apartment that you could test for mold that is hidden. Prayers for finding a better living situation.

Sylvia love the bowls.

Having trouble with a shoulder from a combination of sleeping on it wrong and overuse from computer and yard work. Thinking about the new choir. I do not know what it is about sopranos. We mostly sing the melody, but I sat between two woman who thought it was their job to tell me how I should sing. This happened at my other choir too. I do not do this. If I here someone sing a misplaced note I figure either they will correct it themselves and if they don't I am of the opinion the soul of what we are singing is more important to me than a missed note here or there. What I found interesting is both of them missed some of their own notes as they sang. I did not say a word to them. I reminding myself why I sing and not to let others take the joy out of singing for me. I need to remember just because someone throws the hook I do not need to bite.

There is the joke how many sopranos does it take to screw in a light bulb. One and ninety-nine to tell that one how to do it.
    Seems to fit unfortunately.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    Options
    0ghfkkwliiwv.jpg

here's one of my fat pics, i couldn't find one, i think i had lost a bit on this one. my heaviest was 198 if i remember right
    5jmunfmd5p0p.jpg

here's an old skinny pic, bout the same or lower
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,396 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mary I have my calories set at 1400, but usually eat around 1200. I don't eat exercise calories, as a rule. Prayers for your son and his family in the path of the hurricane. Fingers crossed that it misses them, or better still, blows itself out. Just read the update. So glad your son will be somewhere safer. I will keep them in my thoughts.

Grandmallie I hope things improve for you soon, health wise.

Pip Great midriff! You are a brave girl. I haven't posted a before picture yet but I will find one and put it out there! I tended to avoid camera shots or hide behind people, but I know there is a humdinger that Michael took at Niagara a couple of years ago that shows me in glorious wide angle vision.

October Goals

Week 3 Update

Start weight: 220lbs (Spring 2014)
    Current weight: 167lbs
    Goal weight: 163lbs (for 31/10)

Daily goals:
    :star: Pre-log/follow through :) 7/7 I have pretty much been doing this since March as it is such a help in keeping carbs/fats/protein balanced.
    :star: balance carbs/protein/fat :) 7/7 see above
    :star: 8+ cups liquids 7/7
    :star: 30+ minutes each Strength/flexibility 7/7
    :star: 6000+ steps daily 7/7 :) most days over 6500
    :star: finish eating at 9pm weekdays 7/7
    :star: finish eating at 10pm weekends 0/7 :) I haven't taken advantage of this leeway this week
    :star: post daily goals/progress - Just for Today 7/7 Accountability is a great motivator for me
    :star: post progress - No Late Night Snacking 7/7 :) I have now managed this for 59 days straight
    :star: complete Hogwarts challenges 7/7 Theses are diet and exercises on a Harry Potter theme.
    :star: Post weekly progress reports here 7/7 :)

Not doing so good on the actual weight loss. I typically plateau for a couple of weeks and then it suddenly goes over a day or two. I lost 1lb at the end of Week 1, but nothing since. Only 1 week left to hit my goal for the month! On the other hand, I have lost 0.5" each off my bust and hips.

I had Latin Study Group this morning and was worried that I would be behind as I was away last Friday. I was pleased that I could manage to keep up in translation. Then we had a Latin crossword to do (from The Times Newspaper). Even the girl who leads the group had problems with some of the clues. :)

Off to a Murder Mystery Dinner tonight. Will it be Miss Scarlet in the dining room with a knife? :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    zjaoneifwqjv.jpeg
    A rare body shot. Just realized I don't take much full pics of myself, fat or skinny
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    An update about my son and his family, they are going to be evacuated to a safer location. Still in Puerto Vallarta. Once they lose Wi-Fi I will not be able to communicate with them. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes

Margaret - I am still planning on meeting it this point. Hopefully all will go well with my son and his family. I will let you know if something changes. I am excited about seeing you and Gail again!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    An update about my son and his family, they are going to be evacuated to a safer location. Still in Puerto Vallarta. Once they lose Wi-Fi I will not be able to communicate with them. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes

Margaret - I am still planning on meeting it this point. Hopefully all will go well with my son and his family. I will let you know if something changes. I am excited about seeing you and Gail again!

Mary from Minnesota

good to hear, hope their wi-fi lasts
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota -
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I'm just asking everyone to pray for my son and his family. They are in Peurto Vallarta Mexico and a category 5 hurricane may hit there tomorrow at 6:00 pm. Katrina was only a category 3. Thanks!

Holding your son and his family in my heart. May all be well

I got to your post about them being evacuated. Continuing to send them my best wishes. Sending you thoughts of strength and comfort as you await word on their well being.

Mia in MI
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Barbie – I can’t believe that is a before picture of you. Not even mentioning the body change, your face looks so much different. And I love your new haircut; so flattering. A beautiful transformation ! ! !

Becca – You dance- gurl ! ! ! I was both dancing and singing at work this morning (earbuds in, so I have no idea if anyone caught me, and don’t care).

Grits – Blessings for you, too. Thanks! ! !

Kim
    – I’m glad you found a few minutes to read and post. I personally had all the childhood diseases as a baby (aunt and uncle are 4 and 6 years older and my mom was their primary caregiver). The problem that arose for me is that my Doctor’s office burned down, along with all the paper medical records, so I had to be immunized for EVERYTHING before I was allowed to start kindergarten. I’m sorry you had all of them as a teenager. Terribly traumatic, especially in high school. Hugs !

Mary – Many hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Glo – Hugs for your grandsons. When my DD was 11 she escalated her negative yet manic behavior. Her teachers were even afraid of her. I took her to therapy weekly, which mostly just taught me how to act and react to her (her dad refused to participate, so he kept encouraging the same negative and dangerous behavior). I know you are doing your absolute best for those boys, and I’m happy for them that they have you and others in your family for emotional and physical support. Keep up the great work.

Sylvia
    – very intuitive of you. I hope that realization will allow you to feel good about donating, instead of feeling imperfection. Yes, the slight imperfections are what makes it perfect at the same time, individual, special, whatever word you choose. I donate because I can. When we lost everything in the flood, then a few years later in the fire, people came out of the woodwork to help, and we got through it all with our faith and by leaning on each other. Then Hurricane Katrina hit the Golf Coast, and all the groups having fundraisers for us changed their minds and gave the money to the Katrina victims, but we survived without their assistance, which just shows our resilience and abilities. You deserve to feel good about your talents, so push your dad’s voice to the back of your brain, and do what feels right to you. I donate my hair every 2 years, my blood every 2 months, and my hats whenever someone asks (or I see a need). I’m not saving the world, but all those organizations do count on me, even in a tiny way that they don’t specifically realize. Sylvia, hold your head high and be proud. I am proud of you ! ! !

Lillian – I hear you, and I’m a commuter. I drive a tiny Cadillac that has rear-wheel drive. My car rarely makes it to the speed limit if there is any amount of snow on the road. I lived in the Upper Midwest my entire life, and know how to drive in bad weather. I leave for work early, because I know people are stupid, and my car has no traction. It’s just not my fault that the other people on the road aren’t smart enough to leave early. Hugs for you at your emotionally stressful job ! ! !

I sent a link to DH about 7 mile fair, and informed him that I am going on Sunday. He didn’t argue. That’s a step in the right direction. I also told DS that some vendors sell Nike clothes at good prices, so he may go along too. Also talked to DH about his diabetes for a short time last night. He sounds like he may eventually be talked into starting Metformin. He’s not quite there yet, but getting closer than our first conversations.

Margaret – sorry about the bossy sopranos. I just love to sing, and really don’t care if the people around me are bad, good, or great. I wish for you to find a singing group that is all about the fun and togetherness, instead of crabby and competition. We should do some karaoke together some time. Maybe I can go to Minnesota around Christmas, but right now we don’t have any other plans. Sad.

Pip – HubbaHubba as usual.

Apologies to everyone that I missed. It has been a crazy day at work again, plus my sister kept me up 1/2 the night wanting to text about our stupid relatives in Illinois, and that makes my brain pretty scattered. I cherish you all ! ! !

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: What a transformation! Wow!!!! :star:
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    93dknd9u6lh2.jpg
    Homemade apple pie with apples picked from Dolly Parton's orchard. Worth an extra long work out!
  • frostflower57
    frostflower57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just checking out the 50+ ladies. I am 57, lost 60 pounds in 6 months and I have 40 more to go. Is anyone here on southbeach, or no white diet?
  • moonlighto6
    moonlighto6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in my first week of a plan to lose 50 pounds. This time I plan to go very slow with it. I don't want to regain. I'm good at losing. Not so good at keeping it off.

Loved South Beach because I found the recipes easy and tasty. I have to be more flexible because I travel every week.
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Update! They are being evacuated to the convention center with in their hotel. Still on the oceanfront. They are not taking them inland because of the possibility of mud slides from The rain in the mountain area. Thank you for your continued prayers and well wishes! Hoping that the hurricane wobbles and turns away from the coastline and goes out to the ocean.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ** ONE thing to note on my fat pic - I was thin before I got fat, in my 30's I was an aerobics instr. the reason I got fat was due to depression of loosing my husband and no working out, so now I am back to where I used to be in my 30's
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mary - still crossing fingers for your family. Updates on our news. Thinking of you constantly.

I HAVE FINISHED MY TAX RETURN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :drinker: Just got to photocopy it and put it in the post. :)o:) What a relief! I did it because I told you all I would. I had committed to starting it, but once I had started it I finished. :D

The dinner of game stew was fabulous!

My new tablet has arrived and is charging. Makes me nervous. :ohwell:

Love, Heather UK

PS - I'm loving the fat pics! <3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I just received a phone call from DDnL. She wanted me to let everybody know that they are in a very safe place. They have food water blankets and cots. They no longer have Wi-Fi so could not be communicating through Facebook at this time. The power is going to be turned off shortly there. The hurricane is expected to hit at 3 o'clock our time which is also their time. She will call me after the power is turned back on and the hurricane has passed. I will inform everyone at that time. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers! Depending on what happens this could be tomorrow.

Thank you for your support!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I feel for you Mary, being so far away and unable to do anything but wait. Good to hear that they are in a safe place and are well stocked with necessities. (((((Masses of hugs)))))