WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    By the way...I stopped at a garage sale yesterday and found two nice pairs of jeans, one Levis and one Lees, both were size 14, for $2 each. I held them up and thought, yeah, I think I can fit in those. Brought them home and yes! They fit! I'm wearing one of them now. The Levis sit a little lower on the hips than I'm used to, but I think I can still wear them. I just love a bargain. Showed them to hubby and he said he hates that I am buying clothes at yard sales. I told them it was $4 vs over $50 in a store so then he loved the idea. So I just tripled the number of jeans I have.

Great NSV for you! I too love getting a bargain!

Cheri NE Ohio
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :)Pip, I loved your before and after photos.....no doubt your success is due in large measure to the fact that you let nothing get in the way of your goal of right eating and right exercise....even pain and surgery didn't deter you from your exercise and I remember when you went to Las Vegas for your big celebration you were mindful about your eating.

:)Sylvia, bravo to you for getting up and speaking at your friend's service. I read somewhere that people are more afraid of speaking in public than they are of dying so you did a very brave thing and kind thing.

:)Mary, happy to hear that your family is OK...what a scary time for all of you.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif No more goofing off---gotta walk the dogs
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Mary, so glad everything is okay with the kids in Mexico. So far they aren’t reporting any deaths which is wonderful! I remember when you first told us about the Dr Oz diet, I thought you said it was for 5 weeks. One day I’ll learn to read. Lol

Beth
    , maybe you need to have your DH and son hide the candy from you? Just thinking. But good for resisting.

Heather, when I get up in the middle of the night, I rarely accomplish anything but thinking about getting back to sleep. Heck you do so much that you could probably work on your book that I haven’t heard much about lately. *Just saying*

Joyce, I feel like you and the others here are family also. Hey if I’d known I could get a back scratcher I might have switched carriers. Lol I have this spot on my back, that I can’t reach, that itches all the time. I’ve had my GP and Dermatologist look at it and they see nothing. It drives me crazy and is such a deep itch. I loved that in the movie, The Help when she would say the affirmation to the little girl. I think we could replace her words with any that fit the occasion, but it was her tone of voice that was so wonderful. I agree that Sylvia should keep telling herself how wonderful and talented she is, because we all see it in her.

MicheleNC, when I was younger I would get so upset if my haircut wasn’t right. Now I take it all in stride because, like you say, it will grow out. I also wear it very short which I would have never done years ago. I think part of it is that I finally realized, “It’s not about me” and no one is really looking at my hair. Lol good luck on finding a new hairdresser that is there when you need her. Thanks again for the pumpkin cake recipe. I had one with breakfast this morning. Yum yum. I’m glad the Moose dinner is today or there might not be any left.

Katla, glad you are enjoying the new windows already and your company as well. Maybe having company during the construction was a good diversion.

Heather, so glad things are moving in the right direction with the new tablet. Most of that sort of thing is not hard but it gives us stress just knowing it’s new and different. That is too bad you will be away during the Christmas lunch but of course you will have a fabulous time.

Sylvia, the memorial service sounds so nice and how wonderful to be able to share it with family in France. Yes, it’s a different world than just a few years ago. So glad to hear your headache is gone. I hope it stays that way. Wow, SCORE on the jeans!!! Yep, to save that kind of money, who cares that they come from a garage sale. When we buy them at a store, they have often been tried on by other people before we get there. lol

Gloria, I’m glad you found this group. I’m sure you are having some sticker shock when looking for a place, especially if you were paying a little under market. Just don’t give up and I’m sure the right thing will come along. You know you have all the well wishes from us. (((Hugs)))

Terri, sending you ((Hugs)) as you run through the room. Hope you have a good day.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m so happy to hear that Patricia, the storm, didn’t seem to do the damage that she could have and most people are safe this morning. I feel all the prayers should still keep Texas and other areas of flooding in our prayers. Time to get in at least some exercise and then make my broccoli casserole to take this afternoon. I’m so glad to get to visit with all of you each day and wish only the best for you. I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Congratulations on the new jeans & a successful bargain hunt! Smaller jeans are one of the best NSV's ever so you have two victories tow celebrate, confirmation that you really are transforming yourself AND a bargain all at once! :bigsmile:

DJ: We are enjoying our company. The window installers got the enormous holes in the house sealed up and the new windows are much more effective at temperature moderation than the old ones BUT I want to put my furniture back where it belongs and see whether our blinds will function until we can get new ones. I'm just a little bit impatient at the moment. The installers worked hard and did quality work but they didn't have enough time to finish & that is the manager's fault. They won't be here again until Monday afternoon. :grumble:

I have a riding lesson this morning and then we're planning to go to Sauvie Island to the Pumpkin Patch. I anticipate a LOT of traffic and crowds there. There are two farms we particularly like to visit, one for the produce and the other for music, pony rides, and great food. One of the farms has a corn maze but we haven't gone into it. The other sells yummy food & local beer, and has a picnic seating area. I love seeing the ponies and the pleasure of the little children riding. We will leave the dog home although there is no rule against dogs at either farm. Dogs don't get to go inside the stores but can be on the grounds.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your prayers and support! I just learned that they will be coming home on Monday night instead of today. They get to enjoy two more days of beautiful weather!
    Results from my five-day fast. I lost a total of 8 pounds. My husband lost a total of 11.8 pounds. Because of the health benefits of the fast we plan on doing it once a month like recommended. I lost 3 1/4 inches off of my waist. They did say that the diet get rid of belly fat! I lost 1 and 1/4 inches off of my hips. I lost 1 inch off of each thigh. I lost 2 1/2 inches off of my chest. Total inches lost 9 inches! I am actually amazed by these results! 8 pounds 9 inches! It's like it melted fat all over my body!

Have great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Up and out early to DS's final home soccer game as a sr. in High School. Hard to believe he's a senior now.
    A little background on myself -- I am 57; live in MA with husband. Two kids 22 and 17. Travel often for work which is always a challenge from an eating perspective. I've never been greatly successful with weight loss, but by being active I've been able to contain it some. My knees are starting to bug me now and I know that losing about 20 lbs will help with that. So when I have that urge to hit the potato chips, my mantra is "knees knees knees". I did see a nutritionist a few times back in the spring and she gave me the guidelines of carb counting which is about high fiber carbs (have to love those beans!) balanced with good fats and lean proteins. It went against my grain to eat carbs like that, but I did lose 10 lbs. Then I broke my wrist and then 2 months later sprained my back and got totally off track.
    The best way for me to do this is to plan my meals early in the day and plug them in proactively to MFP. If I'm left to spur of the moment decisions, I'll be backsliding in no time.
    In order to be successful I need to make sure I **PLAN**.

Happy to see many successes in this group. Although it is hard to lose after 50 and after menopause, it shows me it can be done.

Off to plug in my food for the rest of the day.
    Enjoy your Sat.

Kimses

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    p.s. I had a Dunkin Donuts spiced pumpkin coffee with skim milk yesterday. I thought that maybe the pumpkin sweetener was about 60 calories or so. Then I looked it up after the fact. 180 calories! Not including the milk. What a waste of calories.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :)kimses, you have come to the right place where you will find great ideas and support. If you travel a lot you will find, with practice and trial and error, some good ideas of what to order in restaurants and how to bring food with you or buy grocery store foods instead of eating in restaurants all the time.....your decision to PLAN will be a great asset......I gave up drinking coffee a few years ago when I realized that part of the attraction to coffee for me was the flavored creamers. My planning includes learning to leave out items that have high calorie with low nutrition and not much to actually eat.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington t120006.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,360 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just had delicious Stir fry Chicken with Chinese and button mushrooms. And broccoli. Very yummy for 310 calories.

Having DH's stewed pears for dessert with homemade yoghurt. I add a bit of Walden Farm calorie free caramel sauce to the pears. Lovely!

I find the better the food I eat, the less I crave more or junk. I am not anti carb, but I have cut back a lot as I would rather have protein and veggies. I find that more satisfying in the long term. Of course I am eating back 90% of my exercise calories so I have a good allowance. Luckily I don't crave high carb, high sugar foods. :D When I make DH a sandwich I usually have a thin open sandwich of whole grain bread.

If I enjoy my food I don't feel deprived. Bland food makes me eat more.

Every morning I moan about my exercises, but I always do them. :laugh: o:)
    I take my hat off to those of you who are looking after young children or doing a full time job. A lot of planning is required under those circumstances. Batch cooking or preparing the night before. A slow cooker must be a help. I just have a freezer full of fish, seafood and meat, which I can draw on as needed, but I have time on my side. I know some of you plan a week's menus in advance. :flowerforyou:

Getting used to my tablet. I've downloaded most of my apps, but some of them I struggled to remember the password for. Had to get an emailed one for Skype. Still have to transfer contacts, photos etc. It feels and looks nice and I like the new magnetic cover. Neat! I was umbically attached to my last tablet until the charging got unreliable.

Watched a French film this afternoon. Enjoyed it. :D

Love Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    By the way...I stopped at a garage sale yesterday and found two nice pairs of jeans, one Levis and one Lees, both were size 14, for $2 each. I held them up and thought, yeah, I think I can fit in those. Brought them home and yes! They fit! I'm wearing one of them now. The Levis sit a little lower on the hips than I'm used to, but I think I can still wear them. I just love a bargain. Showed them to hubby and he said he hates that I am buying clothes at yard sales. I told them it was $4 vs over $50 in a store so then he loved the idea. So I just tripled the number of jeans I have.

mollywhippet - I just got my jeans and slacks back from the tailor; taking them from a 16 to at least a 14, if not smaller. Have to take one pair of the slacks back to him - still too big, especially in the legs. Year before last a friend had gotten about 6 pairs of jeans and let me try them on and I took 3 of them off her hands.

DH is 'babysitting' my 'darling' Cracker. He said he let her run a good bit yesterday and then she came in and plopped in her bed and slept for a couple of hours. I hope he understood my sheet of instructions. HA!

This weekend I am at a Women's Retreat and having a ball; was prayer over to ditch the 'judgement' feelings I have for my DOS's wife. I think I will take a different approach with her now and maybe we can build a relationship as I have with my DYS's wife who grew up with the same values I brought my boys up with. DDnL (DOS's wife) was not brought up the same. Praying that when they get their money issues straighten out, son will be less 'grumpy' especially around DH since they work together. DH would love to 'retire' or 'cut back' some; but, DOS is uncomfortable with running the business like his Dad has and made a good living doing it. Trey is pretty 'anal' about some things. Home has not been a very 'happy' place for him to go. DDnL has continued gaining weight and has not seemed to care. We estimate she weight about 280lbs. The last time she mentioned her weight was a couple of years ago when she was 240lbs. She had told Trey to try on a pair of her khaki's and he did so, zipped them up, buckled them and let go and the fell around his ankles. I feel so sorry for her because she has just given up; but, she won't take any instruction from me (or most anybody else). She did not put it on overnight; but, is still looking for that 'magic pill' that she can take one night and wake up in the morning and be the size she was when she got married. Even I know that isn't going to happen, losing down to my pre-pregnancy weight; because my structure has changed, like most people who have had children. THINK POSITIVE, Embrace the whatever it might be ...

Barbiecat - I like you new word. I think I will also use that as my mantra.

Not doing so great on my Medical Weight Loss Plan this weekend; but the food has been so good! So what is 3 days? Monday back on my plan as directed.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    >:) change into o:) - feels much better!
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Running through again. DH caught me smiling while reading the post of Becca singing, so I read it out loud. Now he is certain both she and I are crazy. DS needs to rake leaves while DH and I go to Sam's Club. DS couldn't bowl today, 511. Maybe we will skip tomorrow's tournament and save me $50 !

Hugs and Prayers ! Terri in Milwaukee
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,778 Member
    Options

DJ SAID "Beth, maybe you need to have your DH and son hide the candy from you? Just thinking. But good for resisting."

Actually, I'm better than they are! What we really need to do in my house is have none at all!

Beth

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,719 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    at gym:
    spin- 30min, 74ar, 123aw, 133ahr,152mhr 13g and 15g only = 286c
    rowing machine- right hand only- 30min, 30aw, 113ahr, 135mhr, 3958meters = 210c
    treadmill- 50min, 111ahr 133mhr, 14.52av pace, 4/amph, 1incl to 5incl. 3.36mi = 335c
    total cal 831
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,778 Member
    Options
    Becca ... :grin: singing under water is awesome!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    DJ SAID "Beth, maybe you need to have your DH and son hide the candy from you? Just thinking. But good for resisting."

Actually, I'm better than they are! What we really need to do in my house is have none at all!

Beth

Beth l too can't have it in the house. If I eat one I don't stop. Jack said he'd like to have a little Halloween candy so I was going to buy some, but now that he will be gone all week, not happening. Jack is very tall and very thin and so the candy is not a problem for him. You've done a good job not eating it. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Praying for the OSU Students/family/friends in Stillwater, OK. Today is their Homecoming and a drunk driver drove thru a barricade at a high rate of speed right into the crowd at the parade. Three people killed and 22-30 more injured. What a horrible tragedy that was totally preventable. When will we learn?

Janetr OLD
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)