WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,361 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Michelle We had to dress up French Cafe Style for the Murder Mystery. Not sure if hubby took a picture. I will ask him and post if he has.

I have read most of the posts to date. So much happens so quickly.

Katla Your visit to the pumpkin farm sounds like fun. We don't have those here in Northern Ireland. Most of our pumpkins have to be imported.

Janetr That's a good looking Jeep. Those are classics. I had a RAV4 jeep for over 10 years, but I had to get rid of it, because it was very hard on petrol. That was so sad about the homecoming tragedy. So unnecessary, too!

Mary What a blessing that your son and family are safe from 'Patricia'. You must be so relieved.

:heart: (((Hugs))) and prayers for those who need them. :heart:

:star: Welcome to our Newbies! You will find a warm support team here! :star:

We are off to see our DD#1 and family today so I will drop back in tonight.

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Allison - I haven't even been able to fall asleep yet! Up all night. I don't have any sheep left to count!

Irish Terri- have a good visit!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mary So sorry you have been unable to sleep. Hopefully it will come soon and you can get a little rest. I've not slept more than 4 hours a night since my knee surgery. With one exception, I slept about 6 one night. I do this in cycles, hoping this one breaks soon. Sending sleepy thots. . :)

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Our clocks have just gone back, which means I woke up early and now I'm STARVING way before lunch time! :laugh:
    When I had small children it always took about a week for them to adjust their body clocks. I remember trying everything to keep them from falling asleep too early and having to adjust the meal times. Plus waking us up at 5 am!

Sorry to hear so many of you are having ttouble sleeping. I did much better last night, but I have been having my two hours awake in the night recently. A good book and some Valerian tablets helps me. The other night I was so desperate I resorted to a gulp of Martini Bianco from the bottle! ! ! ! ! Drifted off after that. Luckily I don't have to work so it doesn't matter if I have a bad night. It was awful when I had small children. :'(:'(

Waiting for the food delivery so I can't have an early lunch. We are going to have Tricolore. A local farm makes wonderful buffalo mozzarella. Heaven. <3
    Tonight I have loads of spare eggs from the party weekend so it will be Fritatta. Mushrooms, zucchini, cherry tomatoes etc etc. Bit of fresh chilli pepper.

DJ - I have had one session on my book since the party. I enjoyed writing about the food I used to eat as a child, but I now have to grasp the nettle and take on the real subject of the book, which is why I am stalling. I promise I will get to it tomorrow.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to print out a voucher for 20% off my favourite store and get down there with DH. He wants new warm slippers and I will look at winter coats. Thinking about my trip to London with "the girls". I also need some new t shirts for my morning exercises. My old ones, which are the ones I used to wear before I lost weight, are getting a bit smelly, even after washing thoroughly. Old and tatty. I DESERVE new ones. I wear them as nightwear and go straight to the machines in them. :D

Love Heather UK
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Gah. If I don't take 7 pounds off in the next six days, I will fail at my October goal of weighing less than I did at the end of September. And that's just unacceptable. The pounds I gained those last weeks of the contract from hell are very, VERY sticky. And I have every excuse in the world for not staying under my calorie limit, but the truth is, I've gotten lax about posting and lax about what I'm putting in my mouth, and it's time to get real and get honest.

Rededicating myself to my goals, my future... and the picture at the bottom is the reason. Sorry about the perspective... :)
    • Just because I didn't post it on MFP doesn't mean I didn't eat it.
    • My life, my health, my future are worth being honest about what's going in my mouth.
    • Tomorrow is full of promise, with a husband nine years younger than I am; I want to live every moment with him to the fullest.
    • I want to be there and be healthy and fit for my granddaughter's wedding--she is seven months old, absolutely gorgeous, and I'm hoping she will be able to wear my wedding dress.
    • Yesterday's over--no more beating myself up for what's done. Can't change the past, but I can certainly change the future.

lcmjdpmhrpea.jpg
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,361 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lhannon What an absolutely gorgeous dress. And a gorgeous woman wearing it. It's great that you are back on track. Grandchildren are great motivators.
    z6w6s1liwblf.jpgIrish Terri i3kbaw8to0bc.jpg
  • ohkpet1872
    ohkpet1872 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    24ffiqhmneg5.jpg

Thanks to Heather, Gretchen Rubin, and Voltaire for this wonderful saying that has encouraged so many of us.

Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for September?
    What goals and resolutions have you planned for October?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy065.gif

September resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk an average of 15,000+ steps a day (about 13,000 due to my injury)
    *drink 9 glasses of water a day (every day without fail)
    *strength training twice a week (no strength training due to injury)
    *15 minutes a day organizing photo files on computer and phone (not every day, but accomplished a lot)
    * meditate for five minutes four or more days a week (even more than that)

October Resolutions
    *walk an average of 13,000+ steps a day
    *drink 9 glasses of water a day
    *finish organizing photos and other files on computer)
    *meditate for 5-10 minutes a day four or more days a week

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Hi There,
    I hope I'm doing this right.....just found this group. Actually - today is my fist day back in a very long time. Will make this short and sweet since I don't know what I'm doing yet....
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Heather we don't turn our clocks back until November 1. I didn't know that it was done at different times in other countries. I just assumed that we all did it at the same time. I wish they would just get rid of this time changing. It just seems to mess everyone up.

Mary I think I called you Michelle in a message to you - so sorry I must have been thinking of Michelle and writing to you!

I think a women's retreat sounds wonderful!

Gloria
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,401 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michele - biking always clears my head and leaves a well worked feeling. Just wish there was opportunity for more. We rode up and down hills mostly.

This morning is off to Calabasas Music Dept Fun Run, signed up for 10k - my friend is one of the organizers, as her niece graduated from there last year. The kids from the school serenade participants along the route!

Thinking of doing one of those online wt loss bets. Anyone else tried them? Kindof maintained where i'm at now since june and need a push to stick with it again and get going. Felt so much better when the weight was less.

Lisa - you said it so very well!

Linda in Calif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    Mary understandable having trouble sleeping after all the worry of the past couple of days.

Lisa love the pictures.

I have been not sleeping on my sore shoulder and been careful not to overdo with lifting and chores. It is feeling much better. My DH has been sick for over a week with muscle aches, fatigue, and shortness of breath. He actually went into the doctor and she said it was a virus. I have never seen him sick this long. Except for the shoulder I feel fine.

:heart: Margaret
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Maybe I should have posted later last night as it looks like some of you were online then. I was waiting up for DS at midnight I went over my calorie count by 300. If I count my exercise that would zero out, but the point is it was that out of control/boredom/tired type of thing.
    Lisa -- your post was a good one for me to read this morning. Thx.
    Food shopping today get get some healthy snack stuff in the house. Will see if I can get a swim in today.

Have a good day. It's very gloomy here in MASS. but we are reviewing the college essay and starting the applications today, so don't have any other plans. I'm just here to provide the credit card :wink:

I came across this gadget the other day on BuzzFeed. A cool way to measure water consumption. I have a feeling it would be broken or I'd lose something early on, but I am considering it just because I love gadgets (not promoting it...I'm in no way connected with the company).
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/582920317/hidrateme-smart-water-bottle

Kimses in Mass.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Irish Terri, Thanks for the compliment! My husband's of Irish descent, thus the emerald dress, and I was wearing rough-cut emerald earrings, as well.

Kimses... glad my post was good for you as well. Some of the best things about this group are the echoes of the lives we lead in each other's experiences.

Margaret... glad to hear your shoulder's better, and sorry about the DH's virus!

We're all at different stages in the journey to health, or maintaining, and though we are so individually different in our methods or madness, there is always someone who is in our same headspace.

Lisa in sunny West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    Well, I waited and waited for the delivery, which came at the very last moment as he couldn't find the house, and then for some reason the mozzarella wasn't on my list. I had already prepared the avocado and tomatoes so we had to have Parma ham with it.
    Lots of replacement items, some of which I sent back. The new store it is coming from isn't as good as the old one it seems, or perhaps it's because it's a Sunday!

I've read through my will, so now we just have to refine it and return it to the solicitor. Will do that this week. Tuesday afternoon? She also enclosed some info on Lasting Power of Attorney. Must discuss that with DH in case one of us goes gaga!

Love to all. Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Mary understandable having trouble sleeping after all the worry of the past couple of days.
    :heart: Margaret

I will really miss meeting up with you and Gayle today! My DDnL finally called at 9:00 her phone died last night. So I'm just waking up now!

DS family made it home! Did anyone see the WCCO news last night with his DMnL family from Minnetonka MN evacuated from Hurricane? They are now celebrities!

Have a great day everyone

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Katla, your day sounds great visiting the pumpkin farms. I hope the weather is nice? I understand being impatient about getting your house back in order and seeing how things work. Waiting is the hardest part of things like that.

Heather, as much as I like to eat, you’d think that I would exercise enough to be able to eat back a few calories. Keep talking about that and maybe I’ll give it a try. Lol It is interesting how many things I’ve tried over the past year just because I hear you ladies talking about it. ( Like Barbie and her line dancing. ) Your food always sounds so wonderful and I agree that I can’t imagine doing this while working full time and with kids to help care for.

Lenora, I do hope you will be able to stop being so judgmental about your DIL. It’s not always easy to do but will go a long way in having a good relationship, which I’m sure you would like.

Beth, that’s what I do here: just keep the candy and junk out of the house. That way I know I can resist.

Janetr, what is the deal that men can eat and not gain??? It’s not fair!!! That’s all there is to it. My DH still eats bread, desserts and all sorts of things that I have given us and he’s losing weight while mine just sits in one place. It’s not fair!!! *whine, whine, whine* Wasn’t that terrible in OK. So sad and senseless. (Later) Wow, very nice looking Jeep! I had a 2004 and just loved it.

Karen, good for you on having a great day with food and all.

Sylvia
    , it sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday with the return customer and trip to the cabin. Just reading your post gave me such a sense of peacefulness. The roaster will be great to not have to cook the turkey in the oven. Hope you enjoy it.

Mary, great picture of the travelers and luckily they don’t look too much worse for the ware. So glad all are safe.

Joyce, I wouldn’t know how to act with two stoves. That will be great. Of course as I recall you will be cooking for a big group.

MicheleNC, thanks for the new cake idea. I might use it the next time I have to take a dessert to the Moose. Do you bake your cheesecake in a spring form cake pan? I haven’t made a real one in so long that I don’t remember what I did to get it out.

Allison, it is sad that some people live their lives in such a negative space. Ya have to feel sorry for the new people upstairs who had no idea what they were getting in for when they moved in. I can’t imagine why the troll would be anything but nice to them. I’m glad they have you in their corner. (((Hugs)))

Irish Terri, I hope you have a good visit with DD.

Heather, ROFL as I picture you in the middle of the night, wearing your nightgown and swigging from the bottle of booze. And I thought of you as so “prim and proper”. Now I know you are just my kind of friend. Yes, you deserve new work out shirts. We don’t want you wearing something old and tatty. (((Hugs)))

Ohkpet, welcome. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. Then sign each post with a name that you want us to call you. A location is also helpful, be it general or specific. This is a great place for support and information so come in often.

Gloria, I didn’t even know that other countries used Daylight Savings Time but then I don’t know that I ever gave it any thought. I wish we would just stay on it all the time. When we switch back each year I hate how early it gets dark.

Margaret, I hate to hear that your DH is sick and has been for this long. I hope he’s not as big a baby as mine when he is sick. My DH actually gets angry that he is sick and whines and fusses about it. LOL Sending healing thoughts your way.

Kimses, all I can say is you must like gadgets. If it helps then that’s all that counts.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Trying again to lose weight. Recently renewed my fitness pal. Add me. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    re8hh6h79ydc.jpeg

When I met the kirbster
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    Pip~ love the flip flop tan lines on Kirby's feet lol
    just woke up from a nap... boy did I need it, my DFIL was crazier than a loon this morning, after getting him fed I came home and went grocery shopping...I saved 85.00 in manfacturer coupons and store coupons...
    have an oven stuffer roaster in the oven..load of laundry in the dryer.. filled up the bird feeder last night before bed, and the birdies where there this morning... usually it takes a week before they notice it.....
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DJ - thanks! A little haggard but alive and kicking!

Pip - he is such a cutie. He reminds me of Deeks on NCIS LA! You two are a real cute couple!

<3

Allison- what is an oven stuffer roaster?

Mary from Minnesota