WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi all, can't believe how busy work is and good part of it involves navigating away from the negative. I realize that more and more i am clinging to someone's quote about not letting the events swirling around you make you lose control, it is working!
    Had a lovely day of errands with dh and dd and chose to take a day of rest from exercising (my feet hurt) and eating whatever i feel like as long as i log it...my ldl cholesterol probably spiked but i sure did enjoy that cheeseburger i had for lunch. I am ready to go back to my healthy and sensible meal planning tomorrow. Dont feel like a failure though, just took a break today.
    Sigh of relief that hurricane patricia wasnt as catostrophic as feared.
    Karen from ny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    a quick hidee ho~
    went to carraba's for dinner I haf wood fired chicken and broccoli and a salad, and unsweetened tea..
    Hope Lisa is alright saw they were getting battered my rain down there from Hurricane..
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Janet, I think autocorrect changed OKC in your signature to OLD. It would have been really funny if your post wasn't so serious. It's awful about the parade. Drunk driving in the middle of the day? Could it have anything to do with tailgating and homecoming? It just boggles the mind, the level of destruction from one careless act. So sad.

I spent a nice morning at the studio trimming pots, then as I was leaving a lady came rushing up as I was locking the door. She had me make some custom bowls for new baby nephews before and now she has a new baby niece. We spent an hour or so debating what she wanted. She's really flexible though, so she gives me some ideas and then tells me to surprise her. She's always been happy with what I've come up with. I think this one is going to have butterflies on it. I've got a new idea I'm working through and I might just use her bowl to test it out. She always gives me plenty of time, too. That alone makes her one of my favorite customers.

I stopped at another yard sale and this time I bought a big electric turkey roaster. I thought it would be nice at the holidays to cook the turkey in that and leave the oven free for other things. I've never used one so will have to figure it out.

We are at the lake now. We took the dogs walking across the dam, then came back to the cabin and had supper. I have a sweet little Bruno sleeping on my lap. Molly is asleep on the sofa. I hear hubby upstairs snoring. Spot is on the bench by the window watching something. It's so quiet and peaceful.

Glad to hear the hurricane is petering out. My sister's name is Patricia, and she is calm and sweet, so it seems funny that they picked that name for a horrible storm.

I hope you are all having a great Saturday!

Sylvia

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Day 3: Entered all food and stayed on track and I think I'm done for the day (note the "think").
    Elliptical for 60 minutes (elliptical and running errands = 10,100 steps).

Janetr - Read about the OSU incident after I saw your post. How tragic.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options

Here is the story of my day

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif dog walking while listening to an audio book

569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif riding the exercise bike while watching TV
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sylvia- you are such an artist! When you finish the bowl for her you'll have to post a picture!

Janetr- that was such a tragedy! Hopefully the people injured will be okay.

Barbie- what a nice day!

Part of my family on their way home! Makila, DDnL DS Josh and foreground DGD. There is a video if you Google WCCO hurricane.

3tw01s7g8g3h.jpeg

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary, I am happy that your family is safe and on the way home from Mexico.

I enjoyed my riding lesson today. It featured a trail ride and arena work getting ready for next weekend's Halloween obstacle course. Afterward went to the pumpkin farms on Sauvie Island. We had a good time there and ate roasted corn on the cob at one of the places. I have soup simmering on the stove in the event anyone gets hungry, but I seriously doubt that will be the case.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mary, so glad your family is on their way home. I am sure they and you are more glad though. They look quite 'weathered' but relieved.

Sylvia, on those jeans that are a little lower you may need to make sure you get underwear that are low riders. My daughter delighted in getting me my first 'non Mom' underwear. When we have our family dinners which are always at my house, my oven has only one rack so things really have to be timed right. Michelle cooks the turkey at her house and that helps a lot. Our Christmas dinner will be at a meeting hall which has 2 stoves!!!!! That means 2 ovens and 4 racks!!!!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for worrying, Alliie, but we're well out of the heavy rains. Got up this morning to a pitter patter of rain, but that was pretty much it. Glad your people are ok, Mary! Warehouse work all day, but we got most of the fence reconstructed before we went to a benefit for a dear friend with cancer. Tomorrow is painting, then a writing group meeting... busy weekend.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Blowing my diet BIG TIME this weekend. Eating way too much; but, I am at Women's Retreat and the food is fabulous!
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Praying for the OSU Students/family/friends in Stillwater, OK. Today is their Homecoming and a drunk driver drove thru a barricade at a high rate of speed right into the crowd at the parade. Three people killed and 22-30 more injured. What a horrible tragedy that was totally preventable. When will we learn?

Janetr OLD

That is horrible. I had a friend, whose Dad (probably deceased) who was a professor there. Maybe to prevent it from happening they need to put concrete barriers up; the ones at the Federal Courthouse are actually big planters, so they don't look so ugly.

As for Women't Retreat; I have prayed and received word that I need to stop judging DDnL for her actions and forgive myself for my 'thoughts' about her. Also was told by my big sister that I 'am not to be identified as one who has bipolar if that is what I am doing (and it is). It happens to be a disorder that I have which chemically changes the synapses in my brain to decide what kind of mood I will be in for that day. To say I am Bipolar before introduced my self by my name. I will try to not do that anymore.

Can't wait to get home to my DH who has been having a lot of fun with Crackers. She has enjoyed being outside and running around a lot. Came in and just gave out and slept; did not move. Saying she doesn't like the 'crate' much but has been going in reluctantly. I can't wait to see them! :smiley:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sylvia "Janet, I think autocorrect changed OKC in your signature to OLD. It would have been really funny if your post wasn't so serious. It's awful about the parade. Drunk driving in the middle of the day? Could it have anything to do with tailgating and homecoming? It just boggles the mind, the level of destruction from one careless act. So sad."

Yes, that's exactly what happens, my tablet does it every time and I usually catch it. This one I didn't see until it was too late to change it. Yes, it was very sad, it was only 10:30 in the morning. The driver was a 25 year old woman. So tragic.

Jack bought a new (very old) Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull behind the motor home. The dealer has to clean/detail it, so Jack will pick it up when he returns from Missouri. Jack was an airplane mechanic in the Air Force before he started flying. He wanted an older vehicle that he could repair that didn't have all the computer stuff on it. There is nothing he can't fix, repair or rebuild. He can do plumbing, electrical, heating and has even built additions on houses. He also bakes a mean cream cheese crust Apple pie and makes the best beef barley soup ever. Okay, he doesn't walk on water, but on occasion I have caught a quick glimpse of a large "S" and a red cape. Have I mentioned how much I love the guy?? :)

Janetr OKC (sometimes feeling old :))
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Katla- your riding stable sounds like a fun place to go!

Joyce - we meet up at a hotel for our family Christmas. They have 2 large suites that have a living room with a large dining table and kitchen with refrigerator and microwave. We use slow cookers to warm and cook food. It's a potluck so we have a large variety.

Lisa - i'm glad that you were not in the path of all the destructive rain.

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,656 Member
    Options
    Mary and all others affected by the Hurricane, good thoughts going your way!!!!

Sylvia – those of us who create can always find a ops; know we could have done just a bit better…but I try to step outside myself and say If I could not make this what would I be willing to pay, and then because I know I am crazy frugal I add at least 10% to what I would pay.

Carol – How brave you are !!! I am afraid to do a dating site.

Welcome to all the newbies!

Becca – I only sing in the winter (windows closed) and when no one is here… to say my voice is bad is an understatement, I’m a bit tone deaf… But I think it is wonderful that you will sing all sorts of places…

Janetr- so darn sad!

Well Levi is back to his full walk, which is good for me too.

And I am back to logging starting today. I have not been logging regularly for many a month…. And I think I needed to prove to myself that I could maintain at this level, and I did pretty good up a pound down a pound, but within 3 lbs of my low weight. One big problem is that this current weight is at least 20lbs above where I would like to be and 50-60 lbs where the charts say I should be (although I am not sure about those charts) But yesterday driving home from Kyle (DNephew)’s football game I just felt fat – like I had not lost any at all, so I decided that I was ready to start again. I have logged today, am a bit over, but am back on the wagon…

October Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening
    Walk everyday - increase over 140 - would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 – hike, high school football
    W2- go to Angels Camp to visit a friend, high school football
    W3- high school football
    W4
    Kim from N. California
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Jack's Jeep, back at the dealers for detailing.qdxo95qeb7kc.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Chris Powell's Levels 2 and 3 DVD. This reminds me a lot of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred Video. The plan for tomorrow is to do an extreme pilates DVD

Sylvia - that was so nice that they were able to skype the memorial service. I'm sure it made her family feel part of the service. Good for you getting up and speaking. I have a hard time doing that unless I'm reading something. Yea for no headache. Great find on those jeans. I very seldom can buy jeans at a garage sales mainly because I need a petite size and most people don't wear petites.

Cory - have fun biking!

DJ - lol...not any left. They ARE good, aren't they? And if you make minimuffins, the calorie count really isn't all that bad. Have fun at the Moose, I'm sure people there will enjoy them and ask you for the recipe. It's so simple that it's pathetic. Another really simple one I have (it's a Weight Watcher's recipe) that's not bad at all on the calories is to take a box of angel food cake mix, add a 20oz can of crushed pineapple (juice and all). Beat the two together and bake just like any angel food cake. Sometimes an angel food cake can be so "bland" but the pineapple gives this a little "zing".

A friend is coming over tomorrow to watch the first 3 episodes of Downtown Abbey so I'm making a lemon mousse cheesecake for her. I know that she likes things lemon. I'll take a bit for the place where I take the extremepump, some for the one branch at the Y, some for Lynette (I'll put hers in the freezer until I volunteer next at the Green Room) and give Nancie the rest to take home. I don't now how she does it, but she's SO thin. Me? I look at food and gain weight.

We go to the Hickory Community Theater tonight to see "The Game's Afoot",. It's supposed to be about this actor who's famous for playing Sherlock Holmes who has a dinner and one of his guests is murdered. From the writeup, it looks like you're supposed to guess who the murderer is. I remember when the Green Room put on "And Then There Were Nine", I guessed the murdered before Vince and Jess, which is surprising. Maybe it's because Vince is the logical one and I'm more emotional.

katla - have fun at the pumpkin patch. Pick out a good pumpkin!

Mary - wonderful results!

imses - Rori can probably give you some good tips about eating while away on business. She goes all over the place but always does a great job of monitoring her food and exercising. Glad I'm not a coffee drinker. I'm lucky if I have two cups/year. As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, I don't think I've had any this or last year. Now give me tea....that's a different story altogether

Heather - I find that the more I eat decent food, the more junk food turns me off. Vince has said so many times "I think you're going vegetarian". I'm not vegetarian, I'd just rather have lots of veges. When we go to a buffet and they have a dessert, I usually go for the veges for dessert, not the cake.

Beth - if you can't have no candy in the house, how about having candy that you don't like?

Just got back from Hickory Community Theater's show "Games A'Foot". To be honest, this place is much smaller and the seats aren't as comfortable as at the Green Room.

Janet - what a horrible thing to have happen at a homecoming!]

Sylvia - a few years ago I bought a countertop roaster. I only use it at Thanksgiving, but it sure is a godsend. I remember I got it pretty cheaply, too. You'll love using yours. On mine all I have to do is set the temp and then put in the turkey, cover it, and let it bake/roast. One thing that you can't use is one of those plastic bags you put the turkey in when you bake it in the oven. If you look at the one you got it probably has the manufacturer and model number on it. You can probably get the directions for its use on the internet.

A question for anyone: is there a special trick to getting the cheesecake off the pan and onto a nice serving dish but not have it break in two? If so, what is it? I've tried so many times and each time it seems that I can't get it.

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Kim - I'm glad you're back on track!

Janetr- the Jeep looks great!

Michele-you should use a spring form pan you get one at a cooking store. If you don't have one put parchment paper on the bottom first before you make it then loosen the edges cut cardboard to interior size of pan turn upside down then peal off paper place serving dish on bottom of cheesecake and turn cardboard cake and plate right side up.

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mary - Thanks. For a 2000 it actually is in good shape and has been taken care of it. It will be great to tow behind the motor home and for the little bit Jack will drive it around town.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Grits: It appears that your retreat is very worthwhile. Congratulations! I hope it continues to be a positive experience. :flowerforyou:

Mary from MN: My riding teacher is wonderful. I feel very lucky to have her as a teacher. She is gracious and generous beyond my wildest expectations. I pay her a lesson fee, and get so many more opportunities to try new things & have fun than I ever imagined possible. :bigsmile:

Kim: It appears that you and I are in the same spot musically. My mom used to talk about people who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. I am one of them. :ohwell: I'm glad you're back on track. I hope to see you post frequently. :bigsmile:

JanetR: Nice looking Jeep! :smile: Our son's best friend since childhood is a Volvo fan. His current Volvo is nearly old enough to vote, and it is immaculate! Some cars are classics that deserve appreciation. Your Jeep is one of them. :heart:

I had a great day today. I had a lovely ride, and then we went to the pumpkin farms on Sauvie Island. We were able to get good parking in convenient handicapped spaces so DH didn't have to walk too far, the sun was out, and people were having a good time. So were we!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump. Working hard. Really tired. All caught up reading..which I love! Thanks! Hope to rest recover and post maybe Monday.
    Yours
    Mindy in Boston
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am so tired I cant think straight.. fell asleep a little after 9, then woke up at 12:30 and my mind was so full of things at 3 am went to my bed and fell back asleep around 4, and woke back up at 5:45 , I feel like a zombie.. was going grocery shopping early but have only seen DFIL once this past week and when Tom went to feed him yesterday morning he was asking where mom was... meaning me... so I will have to go later and I hate hate crowded grocery stores....
    Tom is out for a walk and it has just started raining , so it wont be a long walk....
    will check in later and I will take a nap today for sure... I work full day tomorrow as Zina has the day off..
    the people who took over the upstairs where I work have opened a wellness center, and the troll and Diane have faced off and been nasty with them up there because somehow they think it is there building when it is really Lisa's .. Kim upstairs spraypainted the numbers on the building, put up a new hall light, and you should see the upstairs.. it is just stunning.. but the troll being the troll ,just bit--es about every little thing they do..
    anyway Zina and I stay out of it and try and warn them when they are on the war path.. we will be treated 2 saterdays from now to a hour long massage.. on the house.. we will do it right after work...on a Saterday...