WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My little one year old great nephew Alexander underwent open heart surgery yesterday. He was born with a heart problem and has had a number of surgeries since he was born the first when he was just a week old. His mama knew about the problem while she was pregnant. Prayers, praises, good thoughts for him and his family would be appreciated as he recuperates. I tried to copy the picture from FB to here but no luck.

Gloria
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    My little one year old great nephew Alexander underwent open heart surgery yesterday. He was born with a heart problem and has had a number of surgeries since he was born the first when he was just a week old. His mama knew about the problem while she was pregnant. Prayers, praises, good thoughts for him and his family would be appreciated as he recuperates. I tried to copy the picture from FB to here but no luck.

Gloria

We will definitely be praying for him and your family. (((hugs)))

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,671 Member
    Options
  • phyllis115
    phyllis115 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all, It was a wonderful weekend here in Cincy.The end of outdoor soccer season for my DGS. He's 7 and doesn't think his Grandmother should EVER miss one of his activities. I only missed 1 game this season . Yeah me.! Gloria -praying for Alexander. Kim and Franky, I also close the kitchen. My Mom used to do it when we week kids. Back then it also meant the dishes are wadhed and the kitchen is clean so don't make a mess. Thanks everyone for the advice about pre planning the whole day. It's really helping me manage my daily calories. Phyl in Cincy
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Lenora, is Cracker going to the bathroom in her crate? Dogs don’t like to do that unless they absolutely can’t hold it. I’m guessing she wasn’t able to go out to do her business? Maybe now that you are home she will be able to go out every few hours. The poor baby must have missed you.

Mia, so glad you had a wonderful weekend.

Bialetti62, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called.

Gloria, sending prayers and healing thoughts for your nephew. My niece had heart surgery when she was just a week old and has had two or three since. She is the one that I just attended her wedding and she is doing great. Now in her mid-30’s you’d never know she had a problem.

I hope you all had a good weekend. Tomorrow morning I have a follow up doctor’s appointment. After that I have to go to the mall to try on clothes that I will model in a fashion show. It has sure been a few years since I’ve done that. LOL And tomorrow night I have a Moose meeting. For me that is a full day, so I’m heading off to bed soon.

Have a great week, my friends and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    t9620.gif I do a lengthy dental care routine at bedtime (electric toothbrush, floss, tiny between the teeth brush, fluoride) that takes 10-15 minutes.....that's a great way for me to declare that eating is over for the day.

<3 Gloria, sending hugs to you and your great nephew and the rest of his family.

t09011.gif winter is coming....today we built a fire in the fireplace and I zipped the lining into my dog walking coat...I've been walking the dogs in the dark in the morning

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Lisa I think your wedding gown is more beautiful than was Princess Diana's. I have never seen anything like it. How long ago was your wedding? What a lovely couple.

A couple of years ago I used an online dating service. Never met anyone off the site but did have someone who was unusually interested very fast. I started to get suspicious that he was not who he held himself out to be and it turned out my suspicions were correct. I caught him in lies about who he was, where he lived etc. It turned out he was one of those groups from Nigeria who get you hooked and all of a sudden need money because they've just lost their wallet and stuck somewhere. Thank goodness for my skeptical trait and paralegal background which taught me to always be looking for the smoking gun. I'm trusting but not a fool B)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Glo... Thank you! June was our six-year anniversary. I wouldn't marry him til he was 40. :), because I was 49. Second marriage for both.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Yeah...made it back from the scrapbooking retreat. Might step on the scale and might not until TOPS on Tuesday night.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Katla - Love it !!! my mom said the same thing about me… I was a really literal kid and gave her a bucket with the words to happy birthday instead of singing to her one year….

Alison – I am so glad you will get a massage!!! Enjoy it!

Bialetti – welcome and of course chocolate is the beginning the end and the middle….

Gloria – Oh my!! Sending my good thoughts, I have a cousin who’s daughter had a number of heart surgeries as a little one and is doing great as a teen… plays sports, has a boyfriend… back talks her mom… all the normal teen things… will hope for the same outcome for your little one.

LOVE THIS!!
    "Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended."

So I live in CA and am wondering about the rest of you in the states, have food prices skyrocketed recently? Eggs are $6 + a dozen, butter about $5 a pound…. Just seems like everything has gotten high quickly. I am on a pretty tight budget and am a good shopper but this is really making it tough.

A second question on food, there is a local store doing a one week sale on asparagus (which I love) for only $1.48 a pound - I bought 4 lbs and am eating a ton of it this week, was thinking of buying some and freezing it – any one done that? How does it do in the freezer? Is it ok for a stir fry or in a frittata/quiche??

October Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening
    Walk everyday - increase over 140 - would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 – hike, high school football
    W2- go to Angels Camp to visit a friend, high school football
    W3-
    W4
    Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Kim - I think I will buy chickens and a cow though!

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gloworm, is it you who has the baby grand child with the open heart surgery? My brother's grand baby had open heart surgery when he was about 4 months old, he was stable enough to get bigger before they did it. He is a very healthy 4 year old now. I also have a good friend whose grand baby had the same surgery. She is now a very beautiful young adult who has graduated from college. Children have this resolve, don't know where they get it from. Still praying for the baby though.

Pip, I would go hubba, hubba if I saw a guy looking like that also. You made 2 fine catches.

DJ, I am hosting a large group for Christmas, not cooking for them. BUT, my daughter and niece are cooking! I don't know what I cam going to do if the niece moves likes she says she will in 4 years. She is the Mom of the young man in college down there. She really isn't my niece, just young enough to be. She is my sister's daughter in law.

Over ate on M&M's today.

Elanor, I like your women's retreat, sounds like the kind I would enjoy to go to and get a lot out of. I think the hardest person to forgive is yourself. I have a big problem with that. I hope everything works out the way you want it to. You can forgive that person but the person may not react the way you want her or him to and that also is hard to take. It's hard to understand how God can work on you the way He does but He doesn't the other person.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: Blanch your asparagus for a short time and then freeze it. Store it in an airtight package. We use foodsaver bags. It should last a good long while in your freezer. Blanching stops it from spoiling and the foodsaver takes away the air supply that would hasten deterioration that simple freezing doesn't prevent.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Mary - I live in the countryside and our stores are a drive away. I often order from Amazon because it is easier and I can read all the reviews. I ordered the wifi stick because many of you said you had a wifi hard drive and when I researched it this cheaper option came up with good reviews. I paid extra for expedited shipping, but it hasn't arrived yet. I was expecting it earlier, but it is still within the stated period. Just a tad frustrating!

DJ, Katla - I am going to write a few words of my book today. :*

Then I'm going to print out my voucher.

I'm going to email the delivery company as their service wasn't good enough. >:)

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    popped out of bed and got my lunch and Toms lunch together and his dinner, having a cup of tea and then hop in the shower and get ready for work.. going in at 7:30 and will get out at 5.
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Joyce - the baby is my great nephew. He is the grandbaby of my DB who passed away year before last. I'm so happy to hear of so many children who had this kind of surgery as babies and are doing so well! Makes me feel a little less apprehensive. I just found out that he is going back into surgery this morning to close his chest. I didn't know the details so had no idea that a second surgery was going to be necessary.

I think that God does work on the other person the same way he does us - but they just may not be ready to listen to Him.

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. It means a lot to my family and me. <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    had a shower and on my second cup of tea.. will take the boys out for a walk in a few.. only 35 degree's here..so winter jacket weather..
    hoping today goes by without incident ,you never know with the troll...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Kim, ny food prices are high but $6 eggs, ouch! The rising prices have made me think about food waste, i am frugal at my core and hate when leftovers go to waste. I am trying to shop less often, hard with a teenager in the house! But eating from the pantry and the freezer helps so i can only shop the sales and coupons.

I also know of a little one who underwent open heart surgery and graduated college this year, good thoughts for the wee one and her loved ones.

Great week everybody, my goal is to maintain, not try to lose this week. Only bought halloween candy i would never want to nibble on!

Karen from ny
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Closing the kitchen worked last night. And I went to bed early to avoid grazing through the cabinets.

Intentions for today:
    Yoga class at 9am
    Make a quiche for dinner so I have my own meal for the next few nights while the family eats the heavier stuff.
    Log everything
    Work as usual -- but move out of the kitchen (been working there so I can do laundry...but it has it's downsides!)
    Try to get a short walk in since it's going to be nice out.

Bialetti62 -- welcome. I just started on this group 4 days ago and it's keeping me accountable.

Gloria -- blessings to your great nephew. Scary stuff.

Have a good day everyone --
    Kimses from MA
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    If anyone's participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), you can find me at www.nanowrimo.org, username LCHannon. If you've ever thought about writing a novel, this is a challenge site that allows you to interact with other writers all striving for the same goal: 50,000 words in the month of November. It's only an average of about 1,800 words a day... :hushed:

Lisa in Sunny West Texas