Quick Question-Is Peanut Butter A Healthy Fat?

Options
Okay, I am doing GREAT with upping protein and lowering carbs. I even lost 4 lbs in just the last two days by eating more calories but making them count. I don't have the funds at the moment to buy some olive oil or whatever so I wanted to know if peanut butter is one of those healthy fats? I know I need two tablespoons and you can use nut butter but since peanuts are not nuts... Anyway, I got my Mom some natural peanut butter that she hates but I tried it and I can't tell any difference. LOL Would this work for my healthy fats? I did google it online, but all it says it that it helps your heart, I want to know if its one of the fats I am supposed to use for my 2 TBS a day.

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    ONLY if it does not contain partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

if not, you're good. if yes, throw it away.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It has four ingredients-peanuts, sugar, palm oil and salt.

How much would I eat to get my two tbsp, two tbsp of peanut butter? Sorry if these are stupid questions.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It has four ingredients-peanuts, sugar, palm oil and salt.

How much would I eat to get my two tbsp, two tbsp of peanut butter? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Yes, as long as the ingredients do not list hydrogenated oils, then yes, very healthy. Not sure what you're asking in your second question, but in 2tbsp of Peanut Butter, there are roughly 190 calories, 16g fat, 7g protein, 8g carbs
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    personally my peanut butter has one ingredient - peanuts.

but yes, as long as there's no PHVO you're much, much better off
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    As I said, it was something I had in the house and I see no reason to spend money I don't have to get new peanut butter. :)
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

I've been eating jif like its going out of fashion

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    IS PEANUT BUTTER A GOOD FAT OR BAD FAT?

Feb 10, 2011 | By Erin Coleman, R.D., L.D

Peanut butter is used often in the United States and provides several health benefits. It is a good source of protein, fiber and other nutrients such as niacin and vitamin E. It's no secret that peanut butter is high in fat; however, not all fat is unhealthy especially if consumed in moderation.
    GOOD FATS
    Unsaturated fats, otherwise known as the good fats, include poly- and monounsaturated fats. These good fats, when used in moderation, can benefit your health by decreasing your risk for certain diseases such as heart disease. Omega-3 fatty acids, a type of polyunsaturated fat, play an essential role in brain function as well as normal growth and development. Unsaturated fats are mainly found in plant-based foods including vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, soybean oil, avocados, and fish oils.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/378181-is-peanut-butter-a-good-fat-or-bad-fat/#ixzz2X44SKSMH
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    As I said, it was something I had in the house and I see no reason to spend money I don't have to get new peanut butter. :)

totally! :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Uh oh.

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    That may be so but according to your weight loss, it doesn't seem to be affecting you. LOL
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know I need two tablespoons and
    you can use nut butter but since peanuts are not nuts...

How are peanuts NOT nuts???
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I know I need two tablespoons and
    you can use nut butter but since peanuts are not nuts...

How are peanuts NOT nuts???

Peanuts are actually beans, not nuts.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    LOL peanuts are actually legumes if I remember right
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I read that article too and was just even more confused. LOL
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ahhh,so misleading.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Ahhh,so misleading.

I LOVE your profile pic, I can tell why this thread interested you! LOL
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.

i recognize that they're different. we dont need to argue over the fact that i think peanut butter made with just peanuts is superior to that made through chemical processing.

to each their own on that front
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

i recognize that they're different. we dont need to argue over the fact that i think peanut butter made with just peanuts is superior to that made through chemical processing.

Well, if you're going to claim that peanut butter with a small amount of added saturated fat is "no bueno" then I will say that you're wrong.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Uh oh.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

Well, if you're going to claim that peanut butter with a small amount of added saturated fat is "no bueno" then I will say that you're wrong.

peanuts already have a ton, why add more?

and i didn't come back to argue with you