Quick Question-Is Peanut Butter A Healthy Fat?

Options

Replies

• SkepticallyFit
    Options
    jonnythan = troll

/ignore

He's a troll for bringing some science into this discussion? You have a strange idea of what a troll is.

Anyway, since I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, peanut butter is a pretty important part of my diet. Definitely eat it if your diet is lacking in healthy fats or protein... and the fiber isn't too bad either. I also use Jif, but I'll consider buying one without added saturated fat if it's available and similarly priced.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm amazed at the science. So interesting, even if I did have to read it twice !
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Guys why is my peanut butter bad/ not bad for me?

I don't get it.

hydrogenation is the process of taking an unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat. saturated fat may not be bad for you in moderation, but you're taking a healthy unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat that you should eat in moderation.

will it kill you? no. are there better options for the same price? yep. but it's your choice obviously

That's not what hydrogenation is.

Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen atoms to a molecule. In the case of fats, this generally means adding hydrogen atoms at sites where there's a C=C double bond.

A fat molecule with no double bonds is a saturated fat. You can't add any more H's to it. A fat molecule that has a single double bond is a monounsaturated fat; that is, it is saturated except for that one location. A polyunsaturated fat is one that has multiple double bonds.

The process of hydrogenation can be partial or complete. Hydrogenating a monounsaturated fat turns it into a saturated fat. Hydrogenating a polyunsaturated fat can result in either a saturated fat (this is now "fully hydrogenated") or an unsaturated fat ("partially hydrogenated").

Partially hydrogenated oils tend to contain trans fats, which are unsaturated fats that have a certain configuration around the double bond. Trans fats are bad. Fully hydrogenated oils are saturated fats and therefore not trans fats.

everything you just described causes an unsaturated fat to be converted into a saturated fat that either has trans fats or doesn't.

Except for the critical fact that hydrogenation can result in either a saturated fat or an unsaturated fat.

You're also missing the fact that trans fats are unsaturated, not saturated.

Seems you still have a bit to learn about chemistry and nutrition.

sigh i'll give you one thing - you're really good at manipulating information.

yes you're right that trans fats are unsaturated, but that's because hydrogenation was not completed. COMPLETE hydrogenation creates a saturated fat. which is what I said the first time.

but listen dude, i may have more to learn, but nutrition is incredibly easy when you eat peanut butter and other foods with one ingredient. takes all the complications out of it entirely. :)

Everything is easy when you boil everything down to "good" and "bad" based on incredibly oversimplified judgment statements not based on reality or science.

It's easy to just say "brand x is better than brand y because brand y has more ingredients" but that doesn't make it right.

BTW, that's not what you said the first time. You said "hydrogenation is the process of taking an unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat." That's not correct. Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen atoms to a molecule. In the case of fats, hydrogenation can result in saturated or unsaturated fats. Full, or complete, hydrogenation results in a saturated fat.

and the result of that process is what?

The result of that process is either an unsaturated fat or a saturated fat.

Hydrogenation is simply adding hydrogens to something. If you hydrogenate an unsaturated fat, it may or may not become a saturated fat. That's the whole point.

hydrogenation creates a saturated fat.

PARTIAL hydrogenation remains an unsaturated fat
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Nope. Hydrogenation doesn't imply full hydrogenation.

Ask a chemist.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've just been to the cupboard to check mine - whole earth smooth original. Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, Palm Oil and sea salt. Phew :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ask a chemist.

this is where the troll label comes in. you split hairs to an absurd extent.

Uh, no. You're trying to split hairs to make your original incorrect statement correct.

You said that hydrogenation is the process of turning an unsaturated fat into a saturated fat. It's not, end of story, period. Only one of the possible end points of hydrogenation is a saturated fat.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Is peanut butter pourable - no. It is not a healty oil and peanut oil is not a healthy oil. Peanut butter can be used for a fat. There is a difference. Try frying an egg in peanut butter.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    OP If you prefer Jiff try the Jiff Natural Peanut Butter it comes in crunchy and creamy... The ingredient list is as such: MADE FROM PEANUTS, SUGAR, PALM OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, MOLASSES. I have eaten Jiff since I was a kid but prefer the taste of the natural over the original.... Best of Luck.....
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Is peanut butter pourable - no. It is not a healty oil and peanut oil is not a healthy oil. Peanut butter can be used for a fat. There is a difference. Try frying an egg in peanut butter.

No Idea why but I want to try to fry an egg in peanut butter. Something tells me this could be Amazing.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I once had a hamburger with peanut butter and a fried egg on it. It was pretty amazing.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Ask a chemist.

Uh, no. You're trying to split hairs to make your original incorrect statement correct.

You said that hydrogenation is the process of turning an unsaturated fat into a saturated fat. It's not, end of story, period. Only one of the possible end points of hydrogenation is a saturated fat.

if the process of hydrogenation is COMPLETED the unsaturated fat becomes a saturated fat. if it's only PARTIALLY completed, it remains unsaturated.

silly goose.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    OMG the cupboard!!!! Whew...Nature's Promise Organic Crunchy PB Ingredients organic peanuts sea salt

Thank the wholly Lord!

3 more ingredients and I may have died!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ask a chemist.

if the process of hydrogenation is COMPLETED the unsaturated fat becomes a saturated fat. if it's only PARTIALLY completed, it remains unsaturated.

silly goose.

You can hydrogenate an oil and still have an unsaturated fat. You can complete the hydrogenation process and still ha e something unsaturated. I've done it. Quit being pedantic.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    quick answer..YES!
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    quick answer..YES!

LOL Thanks, I ducked and covered from this thread a long time ago. I didn't mean to start a peanut butter war!
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating PB2 and I love it!!!!
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    damn, i just had a peanut butter banana smoothie. but im not switching till i finish the jar lol
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat almond with chia or walnut/cashew butter since they are a healthier option. I need the omega 3's.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat almond with chia or walnut/cashew butter since they are a healthier option. I need the omega 3's.

I LOVE almonds and cashews so I am looking forward to trying those. But for now, this is what I had at the house and I don't want to waste it if it will work.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating PB2 and I love it!!!!

That would defeat the purpose of eating peanut butter for the fat content.