Quick Question-Is Peanut Butter A Healthy Fat?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

I've been eating jif like its going out of fashion

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.

i recognize that they're different. we dont need to argue over the fact that i think peanut butter made with just peanuts is superior to that made through chemical processing.

to each their own on that front

Well, if you're going to claim that peanut butter with a small amount of added saturated fat is "no bueno" then I will say that you're wrong.

peanuts already have a ton, why add more?

and i didn't come back to argue with you

Then don't.

I don't know why. Maybe the 2% or less of added oil makes it creamier and easier to spread. Who knows. But I'm pretty sure a third of a gram of rapeseed or soybean oil in your peanut butter doesn't make it deadly.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

I've been eating jif like its going out of fashion

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno

Except it is.

What you see is "hydrogenated" as some scary word. What you don't know is that "fully hydrogenated" oils are not trans fats. A fully hydrogenated fat has no double bonds and therefore cannot be a trans fat. Trans fats are unsaturated fats. Fully hydrogenated fats are saturated fats.

i recognize that they're different. we dont need to argue over the fact that i think peanut butter made with just peanuts is superior to that made through chemical processing.

to each their own on that front

Well, if you're going to claim that peanut butter with a small amount of added saturated fat is "no bueno" then I will say that you're wrong.

peanuts already have a ton, why add more?

and i didn't come back to argue with you

Then don't.

I don't know why. Maybe the 2% or less of added oil makes it creamier and easier to spread. Who knows. But I'm pretty sure a third of a gram of rapeseed or soybean oil in your peanut butter doesn't make it deadly.

you and your fearmongering. where did i say it was deadly. i just said no bueno. as in, it's an inferior product for the same cost
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Guys why is my peanut butter bad/ not bad for me?

I don't get it.
  • x3na1401
    Options
    I do love peanut butter but choice limited in uk. I tried and liked jif in America and you can buy it here now.

Don't tell me it's gonna kill me... I've got 4 jars left!!

Lol

????????????????????
  • jonnythan
    Options
    you and your fearmongering. where did i say it was deadly. i just said no bueno. as in, it's an inferior product for the same cost

I'm the one that's fearmongering? You literally just told someone that her peanut butter was not good to eat because it had 2% or less of added rapeseed and soybean oil. And I'm fearmongering.

Wow.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't get it.

hydrogenation is the process of taking an unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat. saturated fat may not be bad for you in moderation, but you're taking a healthy unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat that you should eat in moderation.

will it kill you? no. are there better options for the same price? yep. but it's your choice obviously
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You can do worse than peanut butter, even if it's not natty. It has some vitamins, a bit of protein, and a bit of fiber, so it is good for you as long as you don't go hog wild with it. It's really calorie dense, though, so watch your portions if you're trying to drop weight. On the inverse, if you're trying to gain, peanut butter's really useful. Stick to natty (the kind you have to stir), the others have sugar and other, less-healthy fats added in. If you don't like stirring it, just stir it once at room temperature, and store it in the fridge. The fats should solidify, meaning you don't have to stir.

Though, almond butter supposedly has a better lipid profile, and coconut oil is a really healthy fat despite being saturated. Medium chain triglycerides are good for the brain and heart, and are the most readily burned type of fat, and there's no better source of them than coconut oil, unless you buy pure MCT oil.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't get it.

hydrogenation is the process of taking an unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat. saturated fat may not be bad for you in moderation, but you're taking a healthy unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat that you should eat in moderation.

will it kill you? no. are there better options for the same price? yep. but it's your choice obviously

That's not what hydrogenation is.

Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen atoms to a molecule. In the case of fats, this generally means adding hydrogen atoms at sites where there's a C=C double bond.

A fat molecule with no double bonds is a saturated fat. You can't add any more H's to it. A fat molecule that has a single double bond is a monounsaturated fat; that is, it is saturated except for that one location. A polyunsaturated fat is one that has multiple double bonds.

The process of hydrogenation can be partial or complete. Hydrogenating a monounsaturated fat turns it into a saturated fat. Hydrogenating a polyunsaturated fat can result in either a saturated fat (this is now "fully hydrogenated") or an unsaturated fat ("partially hydrogenated").

Partially hydrogenated oils tend to contain trans fats, which are unsaturated fats that have a certain configuration around the double bond. Trans fats are bad. Fully hydrogenated oils are saturated fats and therefore not trans fats.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You can do worse than peanut butter, even if it's not natty. It has some vitamins, a bit of protein, and a bit of fiber, so it is good for you as long as you don't go hog wild with it. It's really calorie dense, though, so watch your portions if you're trying to drop weight. On the inverse, if you're trying to gain, peanut butter's really useful. Stick to natty (the kind you have to stir), the others have sugar and other, less-healthy fats added in. If you don't like stirring it, just stir it once at room temperature, and store it in the fridge. The fats should solidify, meaning you don't have to stir.

Though, almond butter supposedly has a better lipid profile, and coconut oil is a really healthy fat despite being saturated. Medium chain triglycerides are good for the brain and heart, and are the most readily burned type of fat, and there's no better source of them than coconut oil, unless you buy pure MCT oil.

As I said, its a cash flow thing. So should I get some coconut oil next month? I just need an affordable way to get my 2 TBSP of healthy fats a day. For now, I was going with 2 Tbsp of this peanut butter since its already here.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't get it.

Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen atoms to a molecule. In the case of fats, this generally means adding hydrogen atoms at sites where there's a C=C double bond.

A fat molecule with no double bonds is a saturated fat. You can't add any more H's to it. A fat molecule that has a single double bond is a monounsaturated fat; that is, it is saturated except for that one location. A polyunsaturated fat is one that has multiple double bonds.

The process of hydrogenation can be partial or complete. Hydrogenating a monounsaturated fat turns it into a saturated fat. Hydrogenating a polyunsaturated fat can result in either a saturated fat (this is now "fully hydrogenated") or an unsaturated fat ("partially hydrogenated").

Partially hydrogenated oils tend to contain trans fats, which are unsaturated fats that have a certain configuration around the double bond. Trans fats are bad. Fully hydrogenated oils are saturated fats and therefore not trans fats.

everything you just described causes an unsaturated fat to be converted into a saturated fat that either has trans fats or doesn't.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't get it.

everything you just described causes an unsaturated fat to be converted into a saturated fat that either has trans fats or doesn't.

Except for the critical fact that hydrogenation can result in either a saturated fat or an unsaturated fat.

You're also missing the fact that trans fats are unsaturated, not saturated.

Seems you still have a bit to learn about chemistry and nutrition.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    For GOODNESS sake Girl eat ya JIF!! Just not the whole jar in one sitting!! :drinker:
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For GOODNESS sake Girl eat ya JIF!! Just not the whole jar in one sitting!! :drinker:

ROFL
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't get it.

Except for the critical fact that hydrogenation can result in either a saturated fat or an unsaturated fat.

sigh i'll give you one thing - you're really good at manipulating information.

yes you're right that trans fats are unsaturated, but that's because hydrogenation was not completed. COMPLETE hydrogenation creates a saturated fat. which is what I said the first time.

but listen dude, i may have more to learn, but nutrition is incredibly easy when you eat peanut butter and other foods with one ingredient. takes all the complications out of it entirely. :)
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't get it.

yes you're right that trans fats are unsaturated, but that's because hydrogenation was not completed. COMPLETE hydrogenation creates a saturated fat. which is what I said the first time.

but listen dude, i may have more to learn, but nutrition is incredibly easy when you eat peanut butter and other foods with one ingredient. takes all the complications out of it entirely. :)

Everything is easy when you boil everything down to "good" and "bad" based on incredibly oversimplified judgment statements not based on reality or science.

It's easy to just say "brand x is better than brand y because brand y has more ingredients" but that doesn't make it right.

BTW, that's not what you said the first time. You said "hydrogenation is the process of taking an unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat." That's not correct. Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen atoms to a molecule. In the case of fats, hydrogenation can result in saturated or unsaturated fats. Full, or complete, hydrogenation results in a saturated fat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't get it.

Everything is easy when you boil everything down to "good" and "bad" based on incredibly oversimplified judgment statements not based on reality or science.

It's easy to just say "brand x is better than brand y because brand y has more ingredients" but that doesn't make it right.

BTW, that's not what you said the first time. You said "hydrogenation is the process of taking an unsaturated fat and converting it into a saturated fat." That's not correct. Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen atoms to a molecule. In the case of fats, hydrogenation can result in saturated or unsaturated fats. Full, or complete, hydrogenation results in a saturated fat.

and the result of that process is what?
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I eat Whole Earth Peanut Butter only two ingredients; Peanuts and Palm Oil.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't get it.

and the result of that process is what?

The result of that process is either an unsaturated fat or a saturated fat.

Hydrogenation is simply adding hydrogens to something. If you hydrogenate an unsaturated fat, it may or may not become a saturated fat. That's the whole point.
  • x3na1401
    Options
    Now now guys....

I find this debate very interesting. Particularly as I was thinking my snack of peanut butter and apple was super healthy.

And don't worry, I'm totally gonna be eating my jif, but I will be on the look out for a kind that has no hydronated stuff to try. I'm guessing jif will taste better though
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do love peanut butter but choice limited in uk. I tried and liked jif in America and you can buy it here now.

Don't tell me it's gonna kill me... I've got 4 jars left!!

Lol

????????????????????

No it is not limited, Holland and Barrett do a 1kg tub of Meridian smooth or crunchy peanut butter for £5.95.
    Nothing added, pure organic peanuts made into butter.