Quick Question-Is Peanut Butter A Healthy Fat?

Options

Replies

• oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Try peanut butter chicken:love:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Is peanut butter pourable - no. It is not a healty oil and peanut oil is not a healthy oil. Peanut butter can be used for a fat. There is a difference. Try frying an egg in peanut butter.

Coconut oil is not pourable and it is considered healthy.
    While you can get avocado oil, eating an avocado provides good fat without having to press it to get oil.

I'm not sure where the pourable idea means it isn't a good fat.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Johnnythan vs coachreddy.

It's my candy. My peanut butter flavored candy.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Is peanut butter pourable - no. It is not a healty oil and peanut oil is not a healthy oil. Peanut butter can be used for a fat. There is a difference. Try frying an egg in peanut butter.

No Idea why but I want to try to fry an egg in peanut butter. Something tells me this could be Amazing.

Uh oh, watch out recipe board another 'bad healthy' meal idea heading your way.:sad:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

I've been eating jif like its going out of fashion

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.
    There's no transfats in fully hydrogenated oils, but I would still pick a pb that is just peanuts.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It has four ingredients-peanuts, sugar, palm oil and salt.

How much would I eat to get my two tbsp, two tbsp of peanut butter? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Get an all natural peanut butter. There is no reason why sugar should be in PB.
  • neanderthin
    Options

How much would I eat to get my two tbsp, two tbsp of peanut butter? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Those ingredients are all natural.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

While technically sugar is "natural" it's really not good for you. Sorry but I'm the kind of person who doesn't believe sugar should be added in anything. There's no need for it.

My PB has two ingredients: peanuts, oil and it is some of the best PB out there. The crap with sugar in it (which is probably the first ingredient which means it has WAY more than necessary) is too sweet and is more candy-like to me.

I personally don't like it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ONLY if it does not contain partially-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

if not, you're good. if yes, throw it away.

this.
    your peanut butter ingredients should say "peanuts" and maybe "salt". Otherwise, it's not peanut butter, and you shouldn't be eating it.
  • neanderthin
    Options

While technically sugar is "natural" it's really not good for you. Sorry but I'm the kind of person who doesn't believe sugar should be added in anything. There's no need for it.

My PB has two ingredients: peanuts, oil and it is some of the best PB out there. The crap with sugar in it (which is probably the first ingredient which means it has WAY more than necessary) is too sweet and is more candy-like.

I personally don't like it.
    I only consume peanut butter that just has peanuts and I sprinkle sea salt for added flavor. Sugar needs context and dosage as far as health is concerned. A little sugar never hurt anyone considering the body breaks all carbohydrates down to sugars should be proof. I agree with you as far as a philosophy is concerned, added sugar is not needed for the most part.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use Smuckers Natural Peanut butter... nothing added
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Johnnythan vs coachreddy.

It's my candy. My peanut butter flavored candy.

My money is on johnnythan...........since I am partial to logic and science
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

yeah that's no bueno

Not necessarily:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/CL00032
    It sounds counterintuitive, but "fully" or "completely" hydrogenated oil doesn't contain trans fat. Unlike partially hydrogenated oil, the process used to make fully or completely hydrogenated oil doesn't result in trans-fatty acids. However, if the label says just "hydrogenated" vegetable oil, it could mean the oil contains some trans fat.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

Me too! Does anyone know of a good peanut butter that tastes good and is healthy?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Uh oh.

Me too! Does anyone know of a good peanut butter that tastes good and is healthy?

What is unhealthy about the peanut butter above?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am doing GREAT with upping protein and lowering carbs. I even lost 4 lbs in just the last two days by eating more calories but making them count. I don't have the funds at the moment to buy some olive oil or whatever so I wanted to know if peanut butter is one of those healthy fats? I know I need two tablespoons and you can use nut butter but since peanuts are not nuts... Anyway, I got my Mom some natural peanut butter that she hates but I tried it and I can't tell any difference. LOL Would this work for my healthy fats? I did google it online, but all it says it that it helps your heart, I want to know if its one of the fats I am supposed to use for my 2 TBS a day.
    Why do you think you need two tablespoons of healthy oil every day? If you're getting this from Weight Watchers (one of the Good Health Guidelines), it's two TEAspoons. And PB technically doesn't count for that.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I am by no means a 'clean eater' but my peanut butter has only peanuts in it, no added sugar or salt, and it tastes very good.

I eat probably 60-100g a day (would eat more if I could!) so I decided a few months ago that I wasn't too happy with the ones containing added sugar, palm/rapeseed/peanut oil etc, given the amount I consume.

I buy the huge 1kg Meridian one (either organic or natural). I get them from the 'health' store for 5.99, pretty economical.
    If you have no issues with added salt, I also like the Peanut butter & co ones.

Hope it's not product placement but I'll try to paste photos of both.

After months of eating this stuff, my old favourite (Sunpat) tastes weird and 'plastic' to me. Weirdly enough I can't stand smooth peanut butter, it has to be crunchy or wholenut or else I gag.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know I need two tablespoons and
    you can use nut butter but since peanuts are not nuts...

How are peanuts NOT nuts???

They are not a true nut because they are part of the legume family.