Processed foods

Options
12346»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    So regarding the original post and some of the replies, which I'm not going to quote but I will give a few opinions on:

Just because a food is frozen does not automatically make it a bad choice for someone. There's a number of considerations you should make when it comes to food selection such as:

1) Calorie and nutrient (micro and macro) needs
    2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference
    4) Allergens/Toxicity/Things to avoid
    5) Food availability (environment and convenience)
    6) Other (performance/etc)

If anyone is going to claim that Toxicity/Things to avoid are a reason to eliminate certain foods, you're going to need to present some evidence including dose.

Avoiding a pizza because of sodium is something I don't think is necessary if you don't have a medical reason to avoid sodium.

But eating less pizza or eating it very infrequently because of #1 and #2 on the above list is probably a good idea most of the time. It's very calorie dense, low in fiber, high in fat (which is not inherently bad but it makes it highly palatable), and it's damn delicious. So the likelihood that you can sit down and plow through 1500-3000 calories of pizza is pretty high.

But this isn't a reason to avoid/abstain from pizza altogether if it's something you enjoy.

I ate a pound of frozen green beans yesterday. These are (gasp) frozen and they're perfectly fine. They are nutrient dense, highly satiating, and they allowed me to eat a very large volume of food which further promoted fullness. So the seasoned cod fillets and massive pile of green beans allowed me to leave the table feeling stuffed on relatively low calories.

Finally, a big problem with internet debates (guilty of this myself, to be clear) is that people adopt an all or nothing stance on things much in the same way they view their diets.

There's a massive grey area between the endpoints. It's possible for people to eat "mostly" nutritious and minimally refined foods. It's possible to eat some cake once in a while among a diet that's otherwise nutrient dense and satiating.

It's possible that learning to adopt a flexible approach has benefits.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666398902045

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666384710324

Finally I'll add this: Food is not *kitten* as someone suggested. Food is food. There are environments/areas where people do not have enough food, so to call something *kitten* because it doesn't meet your ridiculous standards by which you can refer to something as "food" is a pretty privileged thing to say.

Don't want your processed food? Give it to someone who needs it.

BOOM!
    m7tsz3xukr57.gif
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    tcm2003 wrote: »
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

Eating frozen portioned meals will work for you in the beginning if your goal is to lose weight. If you truly want to be healthy and create a lifetime of healthy eating then you need to eat clean whole foods. Frozen meals are processed and not just loaded with sodium but all kinds of additives and fillers that will hinder your progress. If you read the label and you cant pronounce it or dont know what it means, dont put it into your body. the food with 1 or the least amount of ingredients is what you want in your body.

Please read sidesteel's post to find out why what you've said here is wrong. Even 'whole foods' have chemical ingredients that are difficult to pronounce if you don't know what they are.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I must be a medical miracle, not only did I lose 121 pounds and kept it off for over a year now. I also reverse my heart disease all while eating frozen foods, process foods, fast foods, fruits, veggies, etc etc.....basically 80/20. My doc says I'm in perfect health!!! ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

I didn't eat many frozen meals due to celiac disease, but we did indulge in frozen GF pizzas a couple of times a month.

I find a good way to avoid relying on frozen processed foods is to cook extras and rely on the leftovers instead. If you are cooking for 4, cook for 8 instead. Make extra spaghetti sauce, cook a larger roast, grill extra sausages. I make a point of always having leftovers in the fridge. It simplifies my life.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Make changes little by little. Decrease frozen meals to only allowing them for dinner, then switch to only 2x a week, then 1x, eventually 0 or only once a month when you dont really want to cook.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    A lot of processed foods, whether frozen, boxed or bagged, contain many extra ingredients to help preserve them long term. While it is very true that you can lose weight eating just about anything at a calorie deficit (including processed items), I think it's important to read the labels and know what you're eating. A lot of these meals have an ingredient list of 50-60 or more items. Is it really food, or just an "approved" food additive? I pretty much figure if I can't pronounce it and don't know what it is, I really don't want to put that into my body.

As other posters have mentioned, you can make a lot of great food in the crock pot and freeze it for later consumption. I freeze meats, veggies, pasta and rice in portion sized containers (like my own TV dinners). I do this a couple times a month, so it's not terribly time consuming and I know exactly what's in the food.

Many of the food additives in frozen meals are no scarier or difficult to pronounce than the chemical components of an apple, banana, or blueberry. Basing your food choices on whether or not one can pronounce something means I would never eat quinoa. For the life of me, I just can't get that one right.

Keen-wa.
    I agree the whole if you cant pronounce dont eat it is annoying. But a natural apple or banana is very different than a commercially boxed and frozen meal. Which has a lot of additives and sodium to keep it fresh and tasting good.
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the kind of product. If you are using frozen veggies, no problem. If you are using Marie calendars pot pies...problem! You have to read labels like crazy and avoid 50% of what is on the freezer section. Add me!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A lot of processed foods, whether frozen, boxed or bagged, contain many extra ingredients to help preserve them long term. While it is very true that you can lose weight eating just about anything at a calorie deficit (including processed items), I think it's important to read the labels and know what you're eating. A lot of these meals have an ingredient list of 50-60 or more items. Is it really food, or just an "approved" food additive? I pretty much figure if I can't pronounce it and don't know what it is, I really don't want to put that into my body.

As other posters have mentioned, you can make a lot of great food in the crock pot and freeze it for later consumption. I freeze meats, veggies, pasta and rice in portion sized containers (like my own TV dinners). I do this a couple times a month, so it's not terribly time consuming and I know exactly what's in the food.

Many of the food additives in frozen meals are no scarier or difficult to pronounce than the chemical components of an apple, banana, or blueberry. Basing your food choices on whether or not one can pronounce something means I would never eat quinoa. For the life of me, I just can't get that one right.

Keen-wa.
    I agree the whole if you cant pronounce dont eat it is annoying. But a natural apple or banana is very different than a commercially boxed and frozen meal. Which has a lot of additives and sodium to keep it fresh and tasting good.

Please reread what @SideSteel wrote in response the this thread. "Just because a food is frozen does not automatically make it a bad choice for someone." He is spot on.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain.

I eat Amy's frozen meals about once a week for lunch. And they're delicious! And I stay within my calorie goals so I lose/maintain.

I'm an Amy's lover too! Cheese Enchiladas and burritos are my fav. But I eat them at least 3 times per week. Easy, healthy and filling.

I am a Amy's lover too. Wheat allergy here so her frozen gluten free stuff would satisfy my quick need for food when I hadn't planned ahead. I keep some in the freezer for those times when I want something quick but it's not for every meal or everyday. Just on occasion because it's not alot of food. Lol
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    So regarding the original post and some of the replies, which I'm not going to quote but I will give a few opinions on:

Just because a food is frozen does not automatically make it a bad choice for someone. There's a number of considerations you should make when it comes to food selection such as:

1) Calorie and nutrient (micro and macro) needs
    2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference
    4) Allergens/Toxicity/Things to avoid
    5) Food availability (environment and convenience)
    6) Other (performance/etc)

If anyone is going to claim that Toxicity/Things to avoid are a reason to eliminate certain foods, you're going to need to present some evidence including dose.

Avoiding a pizza because of sodium is something I don't think is necessary if you don't have a medical reason to avoid sodium.

But eating less pizza or eating it very infrequently because of #1 and #2 on the above list is probably a good idea most of the time. It's very calorie dense, low in fiber, high in fat (which is not inherently bad but it makes it highly palatable), and it's damn delicious. So the likelihood that you can sit down and plow through 1500-3000 calories of pizza is pretty high.

But this isn't a reason to avoid/abstain from pizza altogether if it's something you enjoy.

I ate a pound of frozen green beans yesterday. These are (gasp) frozen and they're perfectly fine. They are nutrient dense, highly satiating, and they allowed me to eat a very large volume of food which further promoted fullness. So the seasoned cod fillets and massive pile of green beans allowed me to leave the table feeling stuffed on relatively low calories.

Finally, a big problem with internet debates (guilty of this myself, to be clear) is that people adopt an all or nothing stance on things much in the same way they view their diets.

There's a massive grey area between the endpoints. It's possible for people to eat "mostly" nutritious and minimally refined foods. It's possible to eat some cake once in a while among a diet that's otherwise nutrient dense and satiating.

It's possible that learning to adopt a flexible approach has benefits.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666398902045

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666384710324

Finally I'll add this: Food is not *kitten* as someone suggested. Food is food. There are environments/areas where people do not have enough food, so to call something *kitten* because it doesn't meet your ridiculous standards by which you can refer to something as "food" is a pretty privileged thing to say.

Don't want your processed food? Give it to someone who needs it.

Very priveleged to have a choice on organic versus nonorganic, frozen versus fresh. It's all about balance. I buy fresh and organic when my budget allows, frozen vegetables instead of canned (I do have to watch sodium) and also have a few frozen meals (gluten free because of a wheat allergy) in my freezer for those times I just need something quick and I'm jonesing for gluten free veggie lasagna. *Gasp* Do I want that frozen Hungry Man meal with the apple dessert? Yes, but I can't because of my allergy and because the price of that meal is too high. Literally too high. A freezer of frozen meals can kill your food budget. The price per pound can be the same as buying steak. I would rather buy steak. The price seems lower at first but are you really satisfied with a frozen meal enough to make it the basis of your nutrition plan? Nope.

Balance calls for moderation when you have that frozen pizza. 1-2 slices along with a salad (salad without the cheese topping or fat-laden toppings people put on it). Don't have it too often and if you have to do frozen, make it worth it. Like my veggie lasagna. :)

Something quick that I do that keeps me from reaching for frozen meals often is to pick up a rotisserie chicken instead. Take the meat off the bone and this way you have your own chicken ready for meals like shredded bbq chicken over a baked sweet potato, quesadillas, quick stir fries, sandwiches. I generally have cooked rice, baked sweet potatoes wedges and roasted veggies in the fridge that I prepare ahead of time. Those are the things that might take a while to cook and it helps to stay on a good nutrition plan because then it's a matter of measuring and microwaving after that.

Just the fact that you want to make a change is great. Remember the old question, how can you eat an elephant? 1 bite at a time! Making small changes and building on that will ensure success for you. Good luck!
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Keen-wa.

Please reread what @SideSteel wrote in response the this thread. "Just because a food is frozen does not automatically make it a bad choice for someone." He is spot on.

Right frozen vegetables and frozen fruits are not a problem. Eating frozen meals for every meal and every day could be a problem. But of course if you do it once in a while I dont see it as a big problem.
  • apple677
    apple677 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very interesting I try to have one ready meal as they usually have a lot of salt, frozen vegetables are great you can control portion
    Just started using them along with green giant express sweet corn one minute in the microwave on high and you have two portions
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Keen-wa.

Right frozen vegetables and frozen fruits are not a problem. Eating frozen meals for every meal and every day could be a problem. But of course if you do it once in a while I dont see it as a big problem.

Completely depends on the frozen meal.