Oh Canada

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between stepping down as leader of the party and giving up his seat. He could still sit in parliament representing his riding.

The (Alberta) leader Prentice gave up both his leadership and his seat. Some Albertans saw that as sour grapes.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's what I meant...is he going to give up his seat, I think I heard he was...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I just checked the news and nothing about giving up his seat....yet.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Not Canadian BUT....cool flag and awesome national anthem.

Plus, Have you been to whistler? OR Toronto? OR Vancouver? I heart Canada!

In full disclosure I did spend a quarter at U of Calgary.... :-)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Not Canadian BUT....cool flag and awesome national anthem.

Plus, Have you been to whistler? OR Toronto? OR Vancouver? I heart Canada!

In full disclosure I did spend a quarter at U of Calgary.... :-)

Thank you! Our flag and anthem are both awesome.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    JennieMaeK wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm already completely charmed by Sophie Grégoire, our new "first lady". She's a recovered bulimic by the way.

Try and explain Alberta. Earlier this year we swept out the former conservative government with NDP orange, and now pretty well swept the Federal government in conservative blue. I guess the best way to describe us is "contrarian".

I want to see Trudeau and Obama shaking hands.

I was a bit disappointed, but not surprised by Alberta's voting. I'm glad for the higher turnout. My polling station had a bit of line-up when we went, but not too bad. Edmonton wasn't all blue though. Some close ridings a little red and orange snuck in there.

My husband was helping a friend with his campaign and was a scrutineer last night and said people wanted their votes to count there were maybe 2 spoiled ballots. We voted thanksgiving weekend and had to wait like 20 minutes.

We shall have to wait and see what the future holds
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Oh Maxie, deep down inside you want to be Canadian so bad.
    It's too bad they won't let you cross our border. Even us Canadians have our limits.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I forgot to insert a smiley!! :)
  • lindsayjcode
    lindsayjcode Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Can admit to singing it drunkenly once or twice....Maximus...we are all now very Liberal.....

Not that that's bad

None of it's bad...I'm not sure how I feel about Trudeau, or about him having a majority gov...but it can't be worse than the last one, and at least Trudeau seems to have a grasp on what the populace is thinking about. I could be dead wrong, and he could screw us up just like the rest have....Only time will tell....

In typical Canadian fashion we voted a party out. At least Trudeau has nice hair, press the ads said, and is he ready? Is any ever ready to lead a country? As you said can't be worse than the last one and at least we'll get a bit of notoriety since our leader is good looking.

And young! Youth talks....he also believes in legalizing Maryjane, but thinks the budget will balance itself...lol...I can handle watching him drone on in the legislature...lol!

I think a lot of people forget that Harper was in his 40's when elected... :)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Can admit to singing it drunkenly once or twice....Maximus...we are all now very Liberal.....

Not that that's bad

None of it's bad...I'm not sure how I feel about Trudeau, or about him having a majority gov...but it can't be worse than the last one, and at least Trudeau seems to have a grasp on what the populace is thinking about. I could be dead wrong, and he could screw us up just like the rest have....Only time will tell....

In typical Canadian fashion we voted a party out. At least Trudeau has nice hair, press the ads said, and is he ready? Is any ever ready to lead a country? As you said can't be worse than the last one and at least we'll get a bit of notoriety since our leader is good looking.

And young! Youth talks....he also believes in legalizing Maryjane, but thinks the budget will balance itself...lol...I can handle watching him drone on in the legislature...lol!

I think a lot of people forget that Harper was in his 40's when elected... :)

Yup..youth talked back then too...
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Your new PM is kind of cute. Although I wouldn't be ready for a national leader who is younger than I am (one of many reasons I won't be voting for Marco Rubio). I figure my 69-year old mother didn't have a president younger than her until Obama (she's a few weeks younger than either Bill Clinton or G.W. Bush)...being older than the president would make me feel old (as does being older than my dentist).
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Our flag passes muster.

https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed?language=en

Canadian footballers get a better cardiovascular workout.
  • AMJ20152015
    AMJ20152015 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Canada gets this....we get Trump. Not fair!

dj4g23dbwbwr.jpg
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Ya our PM is kinda cute. My husband knows lots of people who are friends with him and they all say he's a great guy for a friend so let's hope that translates over to leadership of a country
  • AMJ20152015
    AMJ20152015 Posts: 412 Member
    Options