anti-gym snobbery

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I mostly get, "I don't need a gym, or exercise." A couple are thin without it, the rest...well, they could use some *kitten*-moving.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    butt moving, butt moving.
    I pay $95 a month, but mine is in a rec centre that has a pool. so my family are all members.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I haven't had comments about spending money on the gym but I do get, "I wish I could afford the gym." I have, however, had people make comments about what I spend on a trainer. They actually ask how much I pay for my trainer - not because they are thinking about working with one but because they can't fathom paying for one. I respond that I pay less than I would for the insulin I would need if my pre-diabetes changes to full blown diabetes. I also like being at the gym because I am less likely to get hurt and someone would be there to help if I did.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    To each their own. I don't have children & my nephews relocated, so I don't see them anymore but I started buying exercise equipment, to build a home gym because my disability, makes it impossible; to regularly go to a gym.

However I saw this:

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81eb0S2NtwL._SX522_.jpg

It's a great way to get kids, that're otherwise too young; to go to a "gym"/to exercise with you. If my nephews were still in the area and/or if I ever have children, I'd definitely buy exercise equipment; for them as well!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    In my life it is the opposite. I don't think badly of gym-goers ever. But I know a lot more people who brag about going to the gym and don't understand how a person could lose weight or do any "real exercise" without daily gym visits
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I haven't had comments about spending money on the gym but I do get, "I wish I could afford the gym." I have, however, had people make comments about what I spend on a trainer. They actually ask how much I pay for my trainer - not because they are thinking about working with one but because they can't fathom paying for one. I respond that I pay less than I would for the insulin I would need if my pre-diabetes changes to full blown diabetes. I also like being at the gym because I am less likely to get hurt and someone would be there to help if I did.

Good point your last one, my favourite author Douglas Adams died from a heart attack on the treadmill at home. No one there to help him.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options

Great answer :)