anti-gym snobbery

Options

Replies

• ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Convenience is also an issue. I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is a good 30 min drive from my house if traffic is light.

I read that if your gym is more than 20 minutes away from home, your actual use rate drops considerably.

I don't doubt that a bit. It can double (or more) the time you must devote to working out if you have a long drive there and back. Not to mention if the weather is too bad for outdoor activity it's also likely not that great for driving.

Lol, I can tell you're not from a cold area, as up here we all drive unless it's a literal blizzard (like one day a year). If you didn't drive on snow and ice in freezing temps you wouldn't be able to go anywhere for months.

Depends on what you mean by a "cold area". Certainly there are much colder areas, but we do have Winter. We usually get a few good snows but much more freezing rain, which IMO is worse for driving. And the rural areas are less populated so generally last to have the roads cleared or salted. We drive in the bad weather when needed, but I imagine not many people would put a long drive to the gym on the "needed" list.

h8bbffdm884u.jpg

Haha! That's me! Though, driving on ice is no big deal where I'm from. I go 2x a day no matter the weather. :)
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    My gym is £12 a month, is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year - AND has literally EVERY THING you could ever need. Win! :D

A UK gym open 24hr! Do tell.

Pure Gym by any chance? That's where I go, though I now pay £18 a month because they only tend to do the really low price of £10-£12 a month for your first year's membership for a limited period after a new branch opens, then it's typically £16-18 a month afterwards. Still a good price IMO.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When telling people I'm going to the gym, I normally get either "That's way too keen for me," "You must have plenty of spare time," or "Don't go getting addicted to it now" which all smack of laziness and/or ignorance.

As for what people prefer, I like to mix it up so I don't get bored. My sports centre membership entitiles me to unlimited use of the gym, swimming pool and any classes they offer. I aim for the gym 2-3 days per week but on the others I may go running outside, or I may go swimming indoors or, with the colder weather already starting to creep in, go running indoors.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find, that if they mention they go to the gym, some people will respond by taking on a superior air and say things like "I prefer to exercise in the fresh air" or "why waste money on a gym membership when all you need is some running shoes and the great outdoors", or "I find treadmills so boring - can't understand why anyone would want to do that"

Nothing actually wrong with these statements - but the way in which they are said I find irritating, as if they are questioning one's good taste and intelligence.

anyway, I don't mean this thread as a rant, just as an observation. Anyone else notice the same?

I've noticed but it doesn't worry me too much - as others have already said, some people just want to be evangelical about whatever they like best. It irritates me more when it's said in adverts/infomercials pushing the next quick fad diet fix e.g. "Sick of paying for expensive gym membership? Not seeing the results you want? Do [fill in the blank] instead!" . Gym membership always seems to be prefixed with the adjective "expensive", when there are plenty of budget gyms out there if people want them!
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Lol, I can tell you're not from a cold area, as up here we all drive unless it's a literal blizzard (like one day a year). If you didn't drive on snow and ice in freezing temps you wouldn't be able to go anywhere for months.

The blame doesn't lie entirely on the mentality of drivers, as in we're so tough to drive in snow. I live in eastern Canada and we have a ton of snow and ice, and we all drive on it. People here make fun of the news when you hear somewhere like Atlanta got 2 inches of snow and it shut down the city. Well, the people there don't have snow tires, there's no salting infrastructure, the traffic flow wasn't designed around it, and Atlanta has two snow plows for the entire city. Here, within an hour of anything less than a disaster level snowfall, the roads are cleared. It could be days before roads are cleared somewhere like that.

Edit: An additionally, you get one blizzard a year? They're weekly here. Many people drive in them because they have to get from a home without power and heat to an emergency shelter or another home with wood burning capabilities. Many other people drive in them just because it's fun to take your car sideways through parking lots.

Thank you! I am from Atlanta and it irritates me when people poke fun of our inability to drive in winter weather. I drive a Subaru and even I am not going to drive when we have black ice all over the roads (our main winter weather problem). You are so right, we do not have all the equipment etc that people up north have to deal with it. Plus it happens maybe once a year, but usually not even once a year.

I read in the news that this summer some of the schools up north closed due to extreme heat because the schools weren't equipped with the AC power to handle it. It is the same situation, down here we handle the heat, up there you handle the cold. Doesn't make one area better over the other. Or one group better. Ok, vent over. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Ya, I see it all the time and just laugh.

Normally is something like.

Poster 1: I'm looking into a treadmill or joining a gym for my cardio.....

Poster 2: Go out side, its free, fresh air, etc.......

We'll ya, it was just 15 below where poster 1 is, where the overnight low where poster 2 is was something like 40.

I wonder if people like Poster 2 actually regularly exercise outside. While I do prefer to exercise outside, the weather doesn't always cooperate, and sometimes for months on end. I'm currently living in Massachusetts and was snow bound for a good part of last winter. When I lived in South Florida, it was just too hot for me for a good part of the year.

This is a good point. I would love it if there were a gym near work that didn't require you join for the entire year. I would probably go to the gym in Winter. I'd at least try it because I loathe working out in my house. I wish there were a gym here where I could join for a month at a time.

Convenience is also an issue. I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is a good 30 min drive from my house if traffic is light.

Maybe double check to make sure they don't have, or wouldn't give you, a short term membership for a slightly higher monthly rate? I gritted my teeth at having to pay 35 % more per month for my short term membership last winter, but it was worth it. And by the time the membership was over, I could see the ground again!

There is only one gym near work (none close to home) and it requires a yearly membership. I saw a sign the other day that a Curves was coming soon not too far from work. I don't know anything about Curves except I think it is women only (not even sure about that) but I am going to check it out once it's open.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I read that if your gym is more than 20 minutes away from home, your actual use rate drops considerably.

I don't doubt that a bit. It can double (or more) the time you must devote to working out if you have a long drive there and back. Not to mention if the weather is too bad for outdoor activity it's also likely not that great for driving.

Depends on what you mean by a "cold area". Certainly there are much colder areas, but we do have Winter. We usually get a few good snows but much more freezing rain, which IMO is worse for driving. And the rural areas are less populated so generally last to have the roads cleared or salted. We drive in the bad weather when needed, but I imagine not many people would put a long drive to the gym on the "needed" list.

h8bbffdm884u.jpg

::laugh:: I guess that's exactly why I'm not a gym rat. If I'm not going to drive 30+ min in nice weather to get to the gym I'm sure not going to bundle up and go out in ice and snow.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    "Snozzberries? Who ever heard of a snozzberry?"
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

The blame doesn't lie entirely on the mentality of drivers, as in we're so tough to drive in snow. I live in eastern Canada and we have a ton of snow and ice, and we all drive on it. People here make fun of the news when you hear somewhere like Atlanta got 2 inches of snow and it shut down the city. Well, the people there don't have snow tires, there's no salting infrastructure, the traffic flow wasn't designed around it, and Atlanta has two snow plows for the entire city. Here, within an hour of anything less than a disaster level snowfall, the roads are cleared. It could be days before roads are cleared somewhere like that.

Edit: An additionally, you get one blizzard a year? They're weekly here. Many people drive in them because they have to get from a home without power and heat to an emergency shelter or another home with wood burning capabilities. Many other people drive in them just because it's fun to take your car sideways through parking lots.

Agreed to a point, but also disagree to a point. I was on a work trip to Arkansas a year or so ago and they basically shut down the town for nearly 3 days because they got an inch or two of snow. It didn't require any salt/sand/removal equipment. It was basically the kind of day we call "Tuesday" between November and March where ya, it snowed but it's not worth the money to go clean it up.

I can't remember the last time I got "snow tires".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Agreed to a point, but also disagree to a point. I was on a work trip to Arkansas a year or so ago and they basically shut down the town for nearly 3 days because they got an inch or two of snow. It didn't require any salt/sand/removal equipment. It was basically the kind of day we call "Tuesday" between November and March where ya, it snowed but it's not worth the money to go clean it up.

I'm from Arkansas and I live in Minnesota now. That was my main impression too. When we got a little bit of snow and ice in Arkansas, things would SHUT DOWN. People would make a run to the store for milk and bread and be stuck at home. A lot of that is because people don't know how to drive in it and, if anything sticks, there simply isn't any public plan to deal with it.

My first winter in Minnesota, we had a night where over a foot of snow fell in a few hours. The next day was pretty much normal -- the trucks came out and cleared the roads. They didn't even delay or cancel school. The only time things tend to get cancelled is when it is dangerously cold out. People just deal with it better here.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I'm from Arkansas and I live in Minnesota now. That was my main impression too. When we got a little bit of snow and ice in Arkansas, things would SHUT DOWN. People would make a run to the store for milk and bread and be stuck at home. A lot of that is because people don't know how to drive in it and, if anything sticks, there simply isn't any public plan to deal with it.

My first winter in Minnesota, we had a night where over a foot of snow fell in a few hours. The next day was pretty much normal -- the trucks came out and cleared the roads. They didn't even delay or cancel school. The only time things tend to get cancelled is when it is dangerously cold out. People just deal with it better here.

Agreed. I live in Fargo/Moorhead and that's exactly how it is here--the world doesn't stop turning because it's freezing outside or we have tons of snow...would be nice to get more snow days though, lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    In Jan or Feb 2014, I think, a bunch of the suburbs around here were worried about running out of salt, because it was so much colder and snowier than usual. Chicago still had a surplus -- apparently they stockpiled 280,000 tons of salt at the beginning of the season, which is just mindboggling. That's just a different approach than somewhere like Atlanta, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I wouldn't drive half an hour to the gym either. I have found that the key to going often, for me, is having a gym extremely close to my office, and that's something I'm willing to pay extra for. If someone else thinks that's a dumb way to use my money, eh, I don't care.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Agreed. I live in Fargo/Moorhead and that's exactly how it is here--the world doesn't stop turning because it's freezing outside or we have tons of snow...would be nice to get more snow days though, lol.

I was disappointed my first winter here! I thought I would get a lot more time off, but people are so great at dealing with the snow that it really wasn't an issue.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not posting to judge anyone, but just in case anyone has read previous posts and thought that once they have kids they will no longer be able to exercise.

I will admit to having not exercised regularly some of the time since my oldest child was born. But I can't blame it on having kids. I have used all of the following at various times, when my husband was not available:

--home elliptical machine
    --exercise videos
    --online yoga classes
    --home barbell and rack
    --jogging stroller
    --regular stroller
    --pushing kids on trikes
    --running behind kids on bikes

And of course, as has been mentioned, many gyms have free babysitting.

Exercising with kids is a bit more complicated but still totally doable.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

What sucks for me is our street can be one of the last ones plowed in town, so if we get anything substantial all the snow can get packed down on the street. Then there's no plowing it. And as the sun warms the street and the snow melts from the bottom, surprise sinkholes come from nowhere. It's great on my car.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I was disappointed my first winter here! I thought I would get a lot more time off, but people are so great at dealing with the snow that it really wasn't an issue.

I was too! I am a California native so I was totally looking forward to having those snow days. I think we've only had like 4 of them over the past 4 years, lol. Super disappointing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Ditto.

It's hilarious when Atlanta shuts down due to 2" of snow :p
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    My gym is £12 a month, is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year - AND has literally EVERY THING you could ever need. Win! :D

A UK gym open 24hr! Do tell.

Pure Gym by any chance? That's where I go, though I now pay £18 a month because they only tend to do the really low price of £10-£12 a month for your first year's membership for a limited period after a new branch opens, then it's typically £16-18 a month afterwards. Still a good price IMO.

ah none of those local to me. I've tried tru gym and fit4less both horrible (more the premises & the staff then the actual company probably) plus I like a gym with a squat rack ;)
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes. I go to a higher end gym here and if I mention it, if they asked me what I did whatever day I happened to see them, my friends will say I'm 'bragging' and I'm wasting my money when I could just go outside or stay home and buy DVD's when clearly, doing outdoor workouts or even home workouts, or lack thereof in most their cases, aren't going so well for them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find, that if they mention they go to the gym, some people will respond by taking on a superior air and say things like "I prefer to exercise in the fresh air" or "why waste money on a gym membership when all you need is some running shoes and the great outdoors", or "I find treadmills so boring - can't understand why anyone would want to do that"

Nothing actually wrong with these statements - but the way in which they are said I find irritating, as if they are questioning one's good taste and intelligence.

anyway, I don't mean this thread as a rant, just as an observation. Anyone else notice the same?

I prefer to cycle in the great outdoors and rarely use my gym for cardio work...basically only when the weather is overly prohibitive to getting in a good ride. I use the gym for the weight room and that's about it...If I could I would have all of that at home too, but that's a lot of equipment and I have pretty limited space.

most people I know who are into fitness do a variety of things...some of those things are outdoors and some of those things are in a gym. I've experienced none of this gym snobbery...almost everyone I know who is into fitness also goes to a gym...usually to lift.