anti-gym snobbery

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Anyway, I wouldn't drive half an hour to the gym either. I have found that the key to going often, for me, is having a gym extremely close to my office, and that's something I'm willing to pay extra for. If someone else thinks that's a dumb way to use my money, eh, I don't care.

Oh, you're in the majority on valuing convenience when choosing a gym. While looking for a study about that, I found a more interesting one, and started a thread on that. Exercise can help reduce drug cravings. But is exercise itself a kind of drug?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If EVERYONE went to the gym, it would be too crowded to use and fees would go up. I'm pretty grateful for the annual batch of resolution-makers who get a membership, wave a few weights around, and never come back.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I highly prefer running outdoors, however I moved from a very active city with lots of outdoor options to west Texas for a year and all the paths here are either concrete which I don't like to run on or dirt. Not s problem there except we got a lot of rain so they were mud all summer, and they're all around small, filthy playas lakes that smell awful and got infested with mosquitos. I was sick of running in the mud and coating myself in chemicals to keep the mosquitos at bay that I started running inside. Those problems are mostly gone but o found I can stand to run on treadmill so I Lao get to avoid all the nasty diesel trucks blowing smoke into my lungs. Everytime j go home though I run outside and j miss it but it's just not worth it here. Can't wait to move!

I'm out in West Texas too. You don't run outside unless you have a death wish or someone is after you with a knife. True story.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    No, and I can't fathom why anyone would give a damn... I mean if you like to work out outside, go do that, and if you prefer to go to the gym, go do that. I dislike both so I have a treadmill in my house. Who cares? And why comment on it at all?

"I'm going to the gym M-W-F"

"Cool! I've been jogging around my block."

"I hate going to the gym, but I also live somewhere freezing cold, so I got a treadmill!"

"Cool! Where'd you get it, was it expensive?" ...etc.....etc......etc.....

This is really the only acceptable way for that kind of conversation to go down. It's okay to say "I don't like the thing you do", that's fine, but to judge the thing you do as if there's something wrong with it? Puh-lease. Are you gonna care about this on your deathbed? No? Then why the hell do you care about it today?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Exercise is personal! If you find something that works for you and you enjoy it enough to continue doing it, I say good for you.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I just can't afford the $57/month for a membership at the local ymca. In the end this isn't terrible, because I generally spend MORE time working out now as I don't have to drive somewhere and change to do it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    ohmyllama wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Convenience is also an issue. I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is a good 30 min drive from my house if traffic is light.

I read that if your gym is more than 20 minutes away from home, your actual use rate drops considerably.

I don't doubt that a bit. It can double (or more) the time you must devote to working out if you have a long drive there and back. Not to mention if the weather is too bad for outdoor activity it's also likely not that great for driving.

Lol, I can tell you're not from a cold area, as up here we all drive unless it's a literal blizzard (like one day a year). If you didn't drive on snow and ice in freezing temps you wouldn't be able to go anywhere for months.

Depends on what you mean by a "cold area". Certainly there are much colder areas, but we do have Winter. We usually get a few good snows but much more freezing rain, which IMO is worse for driving. And the rural areas are less populated so generally last to have the roads cleared or salted. We drive in the bad weather when needed, but I imagine not many people would put a long drive to the gym on the "needed" list.

h8bbffdm884u.jpg

Haha! That's me! Though, driving on ice is no big deal where I'm from. I go 2x a day no matter the weather. :)

I know exactly how long it takes to walk to my gym in the snow/while wearing snow boots. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    People want to feel like what they are doing is somehow superior, I guess.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I do not listen to cardio plebs. Nature does not have barbells and squat racks just lying around.

Ironic post is ironic.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    I do not listen to cardio plebs. Nature does not have barbells and squat racks just lying around.

Ironic post is ironic.

8s6z9226xn62.jpg
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

What is a cardio pleb ?? - Eastcoast Jim

Ironic post is ironic.

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I pay for a gym membership because I know I will go if I'm paying. No way am I wasting $70 a month and not using it! Lol
    Same here lol
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »

Ironic post is ironic.

8s6z9226xn62.jpg

Ha
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My mom was always like that. She's very "why waste money on a gym membership when all you have to do is go for a little jaunt every day!! Take the stairs instead of the elevator and park farther away from the store and you won't be fat anymore!" That's basically her way of thinking. And I mean, I do love doing things outside - during the spring/summer/fall I like getting out for walks, biking, and rollerblading. But I also like the convenience of being able to go to the gym whenever I want to no matter what time it is, if it's raining or snowing or whatever. And all the different equipment they have at a gym.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    TheopolisAmbroiseIII Posts: 197 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Lol, I can tell you're not from a cold area, as up here we all drive unless it's a literal blizzard (like one day a year). If you didn't drive on snow and ice in freezing temps you wouldn't be able to go anywhere for months.

The blame doesn't lie entirely on the mentality of drivers, as in we're so tough to drive in snow. I live in eastern Canada and we have a ton of snow and ice, and we all drive on it. People here make fun of the news when you hear somewhere like Atlanta got 2 inches of snow and it shut down the city. Well, the people there don't have snow tires, there's no salting infrastructure, the traffic flow wasn't designed around it, and Atlanta has two snow plows for the entire city. Here, within an hour of anything less than a disaster level snowfall, the roads are cleared. It could be days before roads are cleared somewhere like that.

Edit: An additionally, you get one blizzard a year? They're weekly here. Many people drive in them because they have to get from a home without power and heat to an emergency shelter or another home with wood burning capabilities. Many other people drive in them just because it's fun to take your car sideways through parking lots.

Agreed to a point, but also disagree to a point. I was on a work trip to Arkansas a year or so ago and they basically shut down the town for nearly 3 days because they got an inch or two of snow. It didn't require any salt/sand/removal equipment. It was basically the kind of day we call "Tuesday" between November and March where ya, it snowed but it's not worth the money to go clean it up.

I can't remember the last time I got "snow tires".

I can't remember the last time I didn't get snow tires for a winter. If you didn't have them around here, you might as well move into the ditch your car will be in all winter.

Ice, snow, ice, snow, CHRISTMAS RAIN, ice, snow, GRAY SLUSH FORVER.. November to March..
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »

Someone who goes to a gym only to use a treadmill/bike/elliptical, etc.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »

Someone who goes to a gym only to use a treadmill/bike/elliptical, etc.

Oh.... that's not nice. Some people like the social aspect and just wanna do cardio:(

Not directed at you Juggernaut. I know you didn't say the original thing, just quoting both so people will understand what I'm talking about.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love the gym. I live in California so the weather is nice; but I don't always want to go for a run ( I used to be a huge runner). Sometimes I don't have the spunk to push myself, but I can go to the gym with my tablet and watch a tv show on hulu while I walk for an hour. Sometimes the only chance I have to workout is super early in the morning or at night, and I'm not running in the dark.
    While my kids were young it gave me at least an hour a day where I could have me time and the kids got to run off energy with other kids in the day care. My other problem is that when I work out at home I see all the things I should be doing (dishes, laundry etc) and I tend not to workout as long because I "should" be doing something else.
    whatever works for you and keeps you happy and healthy is awesome!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ohmyllama wrote: »
    I'm guilty of taking the superior air. Anything I find out that someone is paying $100+ a month on their gym membership. I pay $10 a month at my gym for all the same gym equipment, childcare, personal trainers and group fitness classes that every other gym has.
    Why the heck would anyone pay $100+ just to go to a gym that has a cafe, nail salon, gift shop, etc...seems like a terrible waste of money.
    There I go again, me and my superior air......

$10 a month? With personal trainers?? What kind of gym is this? :o

I think mine is $70. I'm just lucky that my dad pays it for me. :D Now if only I could get personal training... it's so expensive at my gym.

Chain gyms such as LA Fitness, Future Fitness & Planet Fitness' plans are $10.00 a month & they do offer child care, 1 hour every month with a personal trainer, medical moderating (they weigh/measure you, once a month), consultation with a nutritionist (also once a month), at no extra charge.