Rude Dude Rant

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i was just over on bb.com and there was a thread where the OP was afraid his smile was mistaken for a scowl.
    he's pretty beat up about it.

poor guy.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Just don't block the sidewalk and MOST NYers are nice to tourists.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly like this everytime I go to the gym, the sideway stares the rolling eyes... I just go to the equipment and get my workout done... regardless of how many stares I get... Its like their irritated that a chubby girl is intruding on their side of the gym... makes me sad actually... maybe I should announce, its ok I got this, I wasn't always fat lol

I know a lot of fit people appreciate the hard work we at least try with... but the ones who look down on us is really discouraging and embarassing :(
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it more rude somebody is so self involved they think some random dude is scowling about you.

Get over yourself and realize don't care all that much. You'll enjoy life MUCH MORE that way.

^^This

Yes, people suck. But taking the time to actually think what people are thinking based on perception...I've got more to do in life than worry about what others think.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    someone allowed themselves to get really offended here...

Because it IS offensive. She has every right to be a touch p!ssed

Why because she decided he simply MUST be thinking bad things about her even though he didn't say one word? This is utterly ridiculous . Seriously people are getting way to easily offended now days. And you do realize that by making fun of his tan and stuff you've just made yourself no better than him.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Quite the contrary, I often look at people who are not in shape and think "way to go! Please keep that up!" Hell, I do on occasion even verbalize it, but not always. So the next time you see some dude scowling as he jogs around the lake, understand that he could be lost in thought, complaining to himself about his job, dealing with his own struggles, or even thinking good things such as "way to go!"

You really can't win. My friend was jogging and got offended when someone did encourage her. :flowerforyou:

^ That's honestly why I don't say anything the vast majority of the time.

I did today though. I offered to help a 14 year old with his deadlift. He quite willingly said yes, listened intently to everything I said, and then thanked me and did exactly what I showed him to do. Those damn teenagers and their nasty attitudes! :bigsmile:

That's great!
    Last month someone helped me with my clean and jerk. Some things are better in person than YouTube.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    This is to the douche who thought it was okay to scowl at me while I did my 6 mile walk around the lake:

I realize that you are very disciplined and in control, given your extraordinarily large muscles and fabulous physique. However, your orange oompa loompa tan does nothing for you.

I'm so sorry you had to go out walking that day, I'm so sorry you had to get very disappointed that not every chick with a nice face has a perfect body.

And when you scowl at me in disgust because I am a fat *kitten*, remember that I am working hard to change. I was not put on the earth to please you, therefore the fact that you may have had to go home and rinse your eyes out with battery acid after seeing me in my chunky glory, has no bearing whatsoever to my life.

Apparently it does.

:flowerforyou:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    You know, my husband went to play golf today. When he left the house, he had a horrible angry look on his face, and if you didn't know better, you'd think he'd had a bad argument with me or something. He looked mad! I'm pretty sure he looked that way on the course too and I bet people thought he was a nasty guy. Thing is, he'd just found out a good friend of his had died & had come home from work early. He went to play golf to be with his thoughts.

Looks can be deceiving. Don't be so quick to assume it's about you. And even if it was about you, let it be his problem, not yours.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    mirin tan?
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe he was, Maybe he wasn't, but I'm not sure if it is anyone else's place to say some of the things said because I'm assuming you (nobadkitty) were the only one from this site at that particular place and time.

Either way people can be extremely rude, and I'm not one to judge on purpose. Just the one that has been judged most of my life for my weight.

Our point is that her own disgust seems a tad misdirected, and that's a personal problem... she spoke of attitude earlier, but if she is going to presume that everyone with an unhappy look on their face is secretly judging her, then it's her attitude that needs work.

I understand what you're saying. Not picking sides, that's why i said maybe so maybe not. I gave a personal experience kept it light hearted then added another personal experiences. Never accusing anyone of being right or wrong in particular.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    How do you know that he was scowling at you because of your size? It could have been any number of things. Maybe you reminded him of his abusive, alcoholic mother??

Thats what I was thinking. Furthermore, how did she know that was his scowl? Maybe he is an ugly mofo and cant help having a mug like that? Poor guy
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    someone allowed themselves to get really offended here...

I think this has more to do with the OP's self esteem and less about said buff dude....

I think you hit the nail on the head here... I often run with a scowl... well because I would rather be lifting and Im concentrating on not falling over dead as I run!

THIS^

When you think negative thoughts about others, you tend to think they are thinking negative thoughts about you,

Banish those judgey "Oompa Loompa Tan" thoughts, and amazingly you won't think others are judging you.

Google "projection" (as a psychological concept.)
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly like this everytime I go to the gym, the sideway stairs the rolling eyes... I just go to the equipment and get my workout done... regardless of how many stairs I get... Its like their irritated that a chubby girl is intruding on their side of the gym... makes me sad actually... maybe I should announce, its ok I got this, I wasn't always fat lol

This is more than likely all in your head
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    maybe he just has a case of b*tchy resting face.
  • hdean1989
    hdean1989 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I thought your rant was beautiful and well worded. I am and always have been a big boned chick and I hate that people feel the need to judge me when i am working out but i get satisfaction in their shock at how hard i can push it in the gym :)
  • JamieS04
    JamieS04 Posts: 49
    Options
    Someone on MFP posted this a while back (I did NOT write it)...I believe it's a blog post that was found either here or another fitness site. But I'm going to post it here because I think it bears repeating. The title was "Hey Fat Girl"...

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

This is really fantastic - thank you for sharing. :D

WOW just awesome!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I hate it when I'm out running and pass someone, and smile, wave or nod... and get nothing but a stare back. Where I live it's mainly the women that do that, most men will at least nod. I think that some people are rude and others are in their own little world, maybe they didn't even register what you did until after they pass you. If I'm working out really hard I'm lucky if I can breathe let a lone smile. Try not to let things like that ruin your day, it's not worth it. You got out there and did your workout and you should hold on to that great feeling! There is a chick at my gym that never smiles. At anyone. Ever. She is young and gorgeous. When I pass her in the hall I smile and she just gives me this deadpan look. I see her at least 2x per week. I've started smiling bigger at her! = D
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    And when you scowl at me in disgust because I am a fat *kitten*, remember that I am working hard to change. I was not put on the earth to please you, therefore the fact that you may have had to go home and rinse your eyes out with battery acid after seeing me in my chunky glory, has no bearing whatsoever to my life.

He should be enjoying the chunky, jiggly, glorious show while it lasts!

Keep doing your thang, and thanks for the post and the giggle, OP! :-)

*Edited for spelling. Fingerz can't keep up with brain.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you misunderstood and were not the intended "scowl(ee)" ... I too am just grumpy sometimes ... The world itself sometimes just p*ss*s me off ... And so Sometimes I just scowl ... And though I may be inadvertently looking in your general direction has Absolutely Nothing to do with you or how you or your butt looks ... Maybe not all about you at all ;) ...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Are you sure he was really scowling at you? I've never actually seen this happen in real life, who has the energy and why would he care?

:noway: Ooo...you've never been to NY, have you?

Sure have...and I've jogged through Central Park and I still have never seen anyone giving a "fat person get off the planet look" like the OP is talking about. I'm not talking about someone cutting you off in traffic or something. This kind of **** is in people's heads and it has to do with their self esteem. Nobody is sitting around staring at fat people and wondering why they're working out or wanting them off the planet as the OP says...just isn't reality.