Rude Dude Rant

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    I like how many people had a *****y response to this post... do you realize how hypocritical you are being?? LOL.

I see your point. But, on the other hand. OP lashed out to some random person about an imagined/perceived threat. People here are responding to a direct statement judging and putting someone down.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    has no bearing whatsoever to my life

If only this were the case.
  • kgraves3
    kgraves3 Posts: 28 Member
    Quite the contrary, I often look at people who are not in shape and think "way to go! Please keep that up!" Hell, I do on occasion even verbalize it, but not always. So the next time you see some dude scowling as he jogs around the lake, understand that he could be lost in thought, complaining to himself about his job, dealing with his own struggles, or even thinking good things such as "way to go!"

You really can't win. My friend was jogging and got offended when someone did encourage her. :flowerforyou:

Yeah, like I said in another post on another topic, it's usually a bad idea to give advice or encouragement if it's not being asked of you (or you're in a situation where that is the point of the interaction, much like on MFP). Sure you only mean well in doing it, but it makes people uncomfortable and they may express that as being offended. That's just how some people are. When someone tries to encourage someone else who's overweight and is running, they may mean to make that person feel better, but in the mind of the person they're encouraging it just draws attention to what they don't like about themselves. Basically, the best policy is usually just to mind your own business. It's not your place or mine to go around handing down encouragement to strangers as though we are some sort of fitness gods/encouragement fairies that they should strive to emulate.

To the OP, on the one hand, I'll agree that maybe you read into this a little too much. On the other hand, you felt upset and uncomfortable, and that's just the way it is. At least you chose a relatively acceptable way of dealing with it in posting here. Better to vent here than to have confronted the guy (who may or may not be a douche). Hope you feel better, good luck, and try not to worry so much about what others think while you exercise. It only distracts you from your goals.
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    A large percent of what we think other people are thinking or think about us is false.

Really sounds like you suffer from low self-esteem.

I personally can relate to bouts of low self-esteem and depression.

Try not to dwell on what he may or may not of been thinking and focus on what YOU need to do to be a stronger YOU.

You have allowed a complete stranger take precious time out of you life that you will never get back.

Remember Beauty is the inside and when you say mean things about others that does not make you a very pretty person.

Besides, if they were really thinking that -- Who cares -- F em and feed em Fish-heads.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Ain't no STOPPING us now!!!

I was projecting, I am narcissistic, terrible self esteem, it was a reflection on me, forgive me MFP, for I have sinned and insulted someone AND I am a complete attention-seeking hypocrite! LOVE IT!

The next person who doesn't smile at me when I walk is getting punched.

And how does punching a random stranger make MFP wrong about this?

Anywho. Hope he's an off-duty cop.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Someone on MFP posted this a while back (I did NOT write it)...I believe it's a blog post that was found either here or another fitness site. But I'm going to post it here because I think it bears repeating. The title was "Hey Fat Girl"...

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

^^THIS^^ is exactly how I feel!! Thank you so much for sharing! I printed this and I'm going to give it to my sister and all my friends who are so self conscious when they go out the door. Everybody starts somewhere!! You'll find that you have way more supporters than people who don't support you. It's YOUR journey, nobody elses. Enjoy the journey!
  • hdean1989
    hdean1989 Posts: 158 Member
    i+try+to+put+on+a+happy+face+i+fail.jpg

Some folks just aren't good smilers.

My great-niece is almost two and when you ask her to smile, she just bares her teeth. It's hilarious.

LMAO
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    i+try+to+put+on+a+happy+face+i+fail.jpg

Some folks just aren't good smilers.

My great-niece is almost two and when you ask her to smile, she just bares her teeth. It's hilarious.

This is me. When I try to smile, it looks more like a snarl.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member

I was projecting, I am narcissistic, terrible self esteem, it was a reflection on me, forgive me MFP, for I have sinned and insulted someone AND I am a complete attention-seeking hypocrite! LOVE IT!

Don't be mad at us, you started this ridiculous thread.:laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I just remembered a topic on my old dating advice board. The guy wanted to know what he should do for his profile pic on a dating site, because people always say you should smile, but he had bells palsy and could NOT smile.

There's a zillion and one reasons someone might have an unpleasant look on their face. Why decide it's one that's about YOU?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I got called "fat *kitten*" but a carload of teenage boys when I weight 105lbs and wore a size 0...so..yeah, whatever...did I take it to heart or flip the bird...nope, because they were obviously stupid and I try not to be mean to the mentally challenged.

This is why I :heart: you! :drinker:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member

This is an excellent policy. I can't wait to read the topic in a couple of weeks by another MFP member: "I was running along and some random woman punched me??" That person would at least have a complaint I would sympathize with.
  • DaFrogRibbit

Think we hit a nerve. Truth hurts.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

This is an excellent policy. I can't wait to read the topic in a couple of weeks by another MFP member: "I was running along and some random woman punched me??" That person would at least have a complaint I would sympathize with.

:laugh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

And how does punching a random stranger make MFP wrong about this?

Anywho. Hope he's an off-duty cop.

Yes, the other jogger lost in thought was the problem. I love these threads. No really. I just love them . . . we obviously need more punching of random strangers. :huh:

Well that, an I very much want to see the thread from the random cop one day. :laugh:
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    tumblr_m7zhvhxIe71qk9v0so1_500.png
  • DaFrogRibbit

No it will be my dog died, my spouse left me for my best friend and I just went for a Run when all of a sudden this crazed woman punched my lights out screaming HOW DARE YOU NOT SMILE WHEN YOU PASS ME!!!
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    tumblr_mb0vlzjvwr1rzrmhco1_400.jpg
  • nobadkitty
    nobadkitty Posts: 95

I think every response on here is fair and deserved. Its why I love MFP. I was asking for it haha! I am kind of an *kitten* for posting and cutting a random guy up over a look. Gonna need years of psychotherapy now. BTW Love your avatar.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    tumblr_mmvgho2fTr1rqcakdo7_400.gif