Family Support

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    We heard you the first time @SLLRunner :tongue: :flowerforyou:

I tots thought you were being nasty for a minute, then I scrolled up and starting laughing hysterically! Good form!

Hehe I had to giggle because I've done it many a time. It "looks" like it hasn't posted, so i keep clicking until it does. Then you end up with 5 repeated posts you have to edit.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    We heard you the first time @SLLRunner :tongue: :flowerforyou:

I tots thought you were being nasty for a minute, then I scrolled up and starting laughing hysterically! Good form!

Hehe I had to giggle because I've done it many a time. It "looks" like it hasn't posted, so i keep clicking until it does. Then you end up with 5 repeated posts you have to edit.

Same problem on desktop! If you press post (at least in chrome) and the "Refresh" the page instead of, say, clicking the last page button again, it double posts:) I have a few empty posts of my own floating around out there from that!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Darned triple postings, @clgaram720. :D
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Hockey practice is not a job it is a PRIVILEGE made possible by your hard work and hubby's that lots of kids' parents can't afford to give them. If you get any whining perhaps you aught to remind them of that.

^^^^^This. Good reality check.

^^
    And this again. My 9yo just started a hockey league, and between the cost of the gear, the sign up fee, and me having to wake up BEFORE the crack of dawn to get him to practice/games, I better not hear word one or I'm gonna go postal. Holy crap!

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Hockey practice is not a job it is a PRIVILEGE made possible by your hard work and hubby's that lots of kids' parents can't afford to give them. If you get any whining perhaps you aught to remind them of that.

^^^^^This. Good reality check.

^^
    And this again. My 9yo just started a hockey league, and between the cost of the gear, the sign up fee, and me having to wake up BEFORE the crack of dawn to get him to practice/games, I better not hear word one or I'm gonna go postal. Holy crap!

I hear you mine are almost done both boys have always played travel as in most vacations revolve around traveling for hockey so add in food hotel and gas passports and such and I think we'll no that makes me a little sick to think!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I tend to cook 3 dinners most nights; 1 for the in laws, my dinner, then husbands dinner. In laws eat what they want an eat earlier, and husband is rather picky. It still works out for us...triple the dishes, though. That can be tiring as I take care of pets, too. Sometimes we eat the same thing. I don't mind if others don't want to eat the same thing as I do.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When my boys got to teen years, they both got into odd diets. One became a "kind of" vegetarian. Another one decided to eliminate all red meat. My husband at the time got onto some very odd kick that involved eating lots of peppers. And I finally put my foot down and said.......no more cooking. I can't figure out what could possibly satisfy 3 different diets.

I changed the family system. I became the "shopper." Write down your foods you want for the week, turn the list into me, and I'll stock it up. After that, you're on your own to prepare meals.

The peculiarities in their diets faded pretty fast. lol* Apparently, being picky is a lot easier when you don't have to cook for yourself. haha
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have 3 little ones and I'm the mean mom that makes my kids eat what I've prepared. Granted I give them very small portions and they are required to eat it. When they do they are welcome to seconds. If they don't, it gets saved and reheated at their next meal. If it's something they had before and they don't want it I don't make them eat it, but they don't get anything else until the next mealtime. Sometimes they decide to eat, but a lot of times they chose to wait until the next meal.

I'm also a stickler for no snacks. Kids will fill up on snacks and not be properly hungry for meals. You're fighting an uphill battle to get kids to try anything new if they aren't even the slightest bit hungry.

I've got a 6 year old that will eat/try just about anything and a 4 and 3 year old that are a bit pickier, but nothing close to other kids I've seen. It's kinda shocking to me. I have a nephew who had only 12 items he would eat - he's a little bit better now, but still incredibly picky.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    When my boys got to teen years, they both got into odd diets. One became a "kind of" vegetarian. Another one decided to eliminate all red meat. My husband at the time got onto some very odd kick that involved eating lots of peppers. And I finally put my foot down and said.......no more cooking. I can't figure out what could possibly satisfy 3 different diets.

I changed the family system. I became the "shopper." Write down your foods you want for the week, turn the list into me, and I'll stock it up. After that, you're on your own to prepare meals.

The peculiarities in their diets faded pretty fast. lol* Apparently, being picky is a lot easier when you don't have to cook for yourself. haha

I LIKE your method! I did something similar. The kids were free to adopt whatever diet or eating plan they wanted as long as they took responsibility for it (and it was healthy). But, with 3 kids and a husband and working full-time there was no way I was going to be everyone's personal shopper and chef! Now, things have changed drastically: they are all out on their own discovering how expensive eating out is and how lazy they are to cook and they regularly tell me how much they miss my cooking and apologize for taking it for granted. Oh well, live and learn.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I tend to cook 3 dinners most nights; 1 for the in laws, my dinner, then husbands dinner. In laws eat what they want an eat earlier, and husband is rather picky. It still works out for us...triple the dishes, though. That can be tiring as I take care of pets, too. Sometimes we eat the same thing. I don't mind if others don't want to eat the same thing as I do.

What happens when children may come along? Will you be cooking four meals if they won't eat what any of you aren't eating?

Is there any reason why the in-laws don't cook for themselves? And your husband for that matter?

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

What happens when children may come along? Will you be cooking four meals if they won't eat what any of you aren't eating?

Is there any reason why the in-laws don't cook for themselves? And your husband for that matter?

All good questions. I was wondering the same thing.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Kudos to you! This is the best!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I cook one meal. Anyone that doesn't want it is on their own. Cereal, sandwich, leftovers, that's up to them.

I spend over 4 hours with my daughter at practice every afternoon, and my son's training times are different and vary day to day, so I use the crockpot a lot. Some days we eat at the same time, but if my son trains late then I will sit with him while he eats.

Today is honey garlic chicken in the CP, with rice in my timed rice cooker, and then will cut up some cauliflower as soon as we walk in the door, and that will be ready in 10. (was going to throw carrots in the CP with the chicken but they looked nasty at the store)

Yesterday was spaghetti sauce (I make a big batch, freeze, defrost overnight and throw in my crockpot. When I get home I throw the water on for the pasta, and we eat 20 minutes later.

Other crockpot dish ideas: Sweet n spicy chicken (I don't make it spicy), mexican shredded chicken, chilli, maple pork tenderloin, etc.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Darned triple postings, @clgaram720. :D

Lol, when I do that I like to go back and edit them down the page to read something like:

Holy

Triple

Postings

Batman

If it isn't I I totally correct then we aughta use it for a laugh at least :)
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    My family eats what I cook. If they don't like it, they go hungry or cook their own food. This isn't a restaurant and I don't hand out menus.
    EXACTLY!!!!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Love that line 'this isn't a restaurant and I'm not handing out menus' ! I too am faced with the picky eaters in my house. Some days I care more than other days and it can really make you mad. The daughter is lactose intolerant and doesn't like ground beef..... So no spaghetti, chili, burgers etc for her, she also doesn't like anything with a bone and refuses any pork in any form. The husband is sick & tired of chicken and never really likes any fish. The son will usually eat what's put in front of him... Bless his heart. About the only thing I don't eat are oysters and creamed corn! I usually cater to the daughter but when she's not home I spoil my son with a favorite dish. Some times it works some times it doesn't, sometimes I get mad and other times creative.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I make a blended meal - usually the main and side is for all of us, but I make an extra sumpthin' for the boys. Usually carb heavy which I simply don't eat. There are occasions where I want something I know they won't eat (tonight it was roasted brussel sprouts) so I made fish tacos for the SO (which I do not like, but he loves) and chicken nuggets for my stepson. SO does the dishes, so it all works out B)
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    If I could do it again. The boys would be eating more veggies and eating what I cook. When they were really little they did. But so far this week I have only substituted fish for steak and that was for me. No special meals it's been nice. I do make myself extra veggies and try to get them to try but so far nothing they would eat again.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If I could do it again. The boys would be eating more veggies and eating what I cook. When they were really little they did. But so far this week I have only substituted fish for steak and that was for me. No special meals it's been nice. I do make myself extra veggies and try to get them to try but so far nothing they would eat again.

I'm telling ya: pick up a couple of packets of brown gravy mix at the store and let them smother the veggies with them whilst still demanding the veggies be eaten. It works wonders on the y-chromosome, gravy.