Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Those who do moderation get this already...those who are into extremes need to read it.

Yep. There was a discussion here recently where some people were trying to argue that moderation has a million different definitions, just like "clean." I couldn't figure out how to articulate that even though we all might do it differently, it is still the same thing.

But they aren't wrong. There are many different ways the term "moderation" is used in reference to diet. Not everyone that says they eat in moderation follows the description in this article.
    the avoidance of excess or extremes,

Is the definition in this article and is the actual definition.

Those who follow moderation do this exact thing...we don't do extremes.

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes. It also leaves room for regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure.

and this is the key to the article and moderation...

specifics are the difference but moderation is moderation regardless of how you do it...clean eating has a million different definitions....moderation 1

After more than a year on this site, I don't believe this is true. I'd say it's true of the majority who say they eat in moderation, but it's not true of all.

Perhaps the others are wrong about how they eat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Those who do moderation get this already...those who are into extremes need to read it.

Yep. There was a discussion here recently where some people were trying to argue that moderation has a million different definitions, just like "clean." I couldn't figure out how to articulate that even though we all might do it differently, it is still the same thing.

But they aren't wrong. There are many different ways the term "moderation" is used in reference to diet. Not everyone that says they eat in moderation follows the description in this article.

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes. It also leaves room for regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure.

specifics are the difference but moderation is moderation regardless of how you do it...clean eating has a million different definitions....moderation 1

After more than a year on this site, I don't believe this is true. I'd say it's true of the majority who say they eat in moderation, but it's not true of all.

After 2+ years on this site I know those that follow moderation get it and those that don't but say they do need to read the article...just like I said in my first post...

Those in the know...know.

So only one definition that everyone follows, except for those that do something else and use the term incorrectly? ::laugh::

Sounds like every other diet term I've heard on this site - clean eating, IIFYM, plant based, paleo, etc.

no..moderation is not doing things in extreme. Period.

Those that follow moderation have specifics they follow but don't do extremes. Not a hard concept.

You may not agree it's "moderation" but you can't argue with the definition.

Defining clean eating is nearly impossible as there are too many definitions...moderation 1 definition.

Those that say they are moderate and eliminate foods is not the definition of moderation...it's an education thing not a definition being right or wrong thing.

but not gonna argue semantics.

Good article OP

It's not about semantics. It's not about the dictionary. It's about diet and the terms we use to describe our diet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

That was my point. People use the term 'moderation' to describe various different ways of eating.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty black and white but I guess if you dissect it enough you can find something wrong with it. ::shrugs::
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Yay for moderation! Without it, I would be a very sad person. Good article.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I see people eat some wild things and they are losing weight because they pay strict attention to CICO. Sustainability is another factor and to a degree it has to do more with mental side of it. If you always feel denied, how sustainable is that? For some people it is no biggie, for others it is big deal. I keep coming back to there is no one true way, and we all have to find our own path. Some people prefer rigid black and white rules that keep them from going off the rails. Other people need softer guidelines to use as rails to keep them on track. One thing is clear, you have to find out what works for you.

Great post, thank you! Helped me not feel guilty about the sugar in my coffee.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

So like the article says, if someone eats a diet of mostly junk food, that's not moderation, it's an extreme.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Loved the article! Thanks for posting.

As for the side argument with people parsing words?

I used to go to school with this girl who used big words incorrectly all the time. Her misuse of the word didn't change what it fundamentally meant and did not suddenly mean that the definition of it was murky.

Just sayin'.

If you avoid the extremes, you're practicing moderation.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

That was my point. People use the term 'moderation' to describe various different ways of eating.

Yah that's what moderation is and what the article says...no extremes but the specifics are all different.

I eat more chicken than beef but I still do moderation as I eat chocolate and take out. Someone may eat more beef than chicken and prefer chips to chocolate in moderation...it's all moderation
  • maidentl
    Options

I used to go to school with this girl who used big words incorrectly all the time. Her misuse of the word didn't change what it fundamentally meant and did not suddenly mean that the definition of it was murky.

Just sayin'.

Exactly, it's like people who say feminism is man-hating because some people who call themselves that term behave that way or people who call themselves vegetarian but still eat meat. The definitions of the words don't change just because some people use them incorrectly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So like the article says, if someone eats a diet of mostly junk food, that's not moderation, it's an extreme.

But extreme is not much more than an opinion. Same for "junk food". Burgers are junk food to some, for others there is nothing extreme or "junky" about a ground beef sandwich.

The article also says if someone eats mostly (or maybe it said all) fast food that was extreme. You can get a pretty varied diet of fast food these days. Subs, salads, soups, burgers, grilled chicken, sandwich wraps, fruit, oats, chili, baked potato, burritos, tacos. While that may seem extreme to some, it's a normal way of eating to others.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Just sayin'.

Exactly, it's like people who say feminism is man-hating because some people who call themselves that term behave that way or people who call themselves vegetarian but still eat meat. The definitions of the words don't change just because some people use them incorrectly.

This seems in direct contrast to your earlier post to which I replied. It said "There was a discussion here recently where some people were trying to argue that moderation has a million different definitions, just like "clean."

"clean" has a dictionary definition too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

This seems in direct contrast to your earlier post to which I replied. It said "There was a discussion here recently where some people were trying to argue that moderation has a million different definitions, just like "clean."

One that actually relates to "clean eating"?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just sayin'.

Not that I've seen. But then I've never seen a dictionary definition for "moderation" that relates to eating either. Which was my point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

Not that I've seen. But then I've never seen a dictionary definition for "moderation" that relates to eating either. Which was my point.

Avoiding extremes is what was suggested above.

It's usually the non clean eaters who talk about the dictionary definition of "clean." That there is no actual definition that relates to "clean eating" is one reason people use it to mean millions of different things.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Just sayin'.

It's usually the non clean eaters who talk about the dictionary definition of "clean." That there is no actual definition that relates to "clean eating" is one reason people use it to mean millions of different things.

I don't know if you all really don't understand what I'm saying, or if you are just pretending not to. But my point was that it is not true that 100% of people who say they eat in moderation mean what is described in the article or mean the same thing.

That's it and that's all.
  • maidentl
    Options

Just sayin'.

I don't know if you all really don't understand what I'm saying, or if you are just pretending not to. But my point was that it is not true that 100% of people who say they eat in moderation mean what is described in the article or mean the same thing.

That's it and that's all.

And once again, just because some people use the word incorrectly doesn't change the meaning of the word. And I am pretty sure that absolutely no one offered a qualifier of "100%."
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

The nice thing about moderation is that it is an approach which can be applied to a number of different concepts.

Moderation in eating
    Moderation in spending
    Moderation in drinking

The definition of no extremes is applicable in all of those examples. How an individual moderates their eating, spending, and drinking may differ from person to person - but the overall concept is fairly clear, the avoidance of excess or extremes.

Conversely, the word "clean" is an adjective that has very different meanings depending on how it is used.

Clean house
    Clean eating
    Clean bill of health

I don't believe it is possible to come up with a singular definition for the word "clean" which is applicable to all of those concepts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could point those of us who don't understand what you're talking about in the direction of some of these people who are outliers in the definition of moderation as being without extremes
  • maidentl
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Perhaps you could point those of us who don't understand what you're talking about in the direction of some of these people who are outliers in the definition of moderation as being without extremes

Yes, that would be helpful. Because frankly, I can't figure out who the heck would fit this description of saying that they eat in moderation but they don't eat in moderation but they also don't eat in extremes . . .
This discussion has been closed.