Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Oh, I like this one! There are some folks that think that moderation "can mean anything" but this article nails it down. It is the absence of extremes. Nice. Thanks for sharing it!
    I would be the person who argued that. It's because it's true.

When I first started reading on MFP, I was trying very hard to figure out what the heck people meant when they said "clean" or "in moderation" because one person would say this was clean and another would say that was clean, while one person saying moderation was this and another was saying moderation was that.

You can argue that both terms have definitions, but are carried out differently. That really doesn't help the person who is trying to figure out exactly what it means.

The fact of the matter is that saying "clean" or "in moderation" just isn't specific. It has no meaning that anyone could pinpoint and say "Everyone who says they eat this way does X."

I don't mind people using the words "clean" or "in moderation." I get what they mean in a general sense. But when they use those words, I don't know exactly how they are defining them. Most of the time, the general sense works just fine. Occasionally, though, I need a little more.

"I've been eating clean and I'm gaining weight!"

"I've been eating in moderation and I'm gaining weight!"

I'm going to need more. It doesn't really explain how they're actually eating.

If someone asks about how to eat treats "in moderation", there will be 20 different ways to do it.

As many posters have many meanings for each term, specifics will be required.

I have the same issue with both terms - "clean" and "in moderation" and am not slamming either group or trying to make fun of either group or have a fight.

I never suggested that anyone should stop using those terms! It's just that they aren't really clearly describing a way of eating.

The difference is that there's a specific definition to 'moderation'. Good luck finding one for 'clean eating'.
    The problem is that lots of people have defined it, but they've all defined it ver differently.

Maybe the group of people in this thread will agree upon a definition and then people would know what you all meant, but not everyone who uses the term is using it the way you do.

Clean eaters could say that "clean" has a definition, but it is carried out differently by different people and some people are using it wrong. It still doesn't allow me to know what the person who says, "I'm eating clean" actually means.

Saying, "This word has a definition, but is carried out differently by different people and some people are using the word wrong" - that doesn't help the person who reads it to know what it means.

You're confusing a philosophy with its context/application.

They're two separate issues.

Moderation for a dieter with a TDEE of 3800 calories who's an ominivore is going to look different than moderation for a dieter with a TDEE of 1800 calories who's a vegetarian. They can both still practice moderation, but the specifics of how it's applied will look different.

as a vegetarian, do you eat meat 'in moderation'?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Nm
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    moderation is very specific, moderate your food choices to the ones that you like. Plain, simple, easy.

Clean eating however has about a million different definitions and a million different variants.

I do not understand why this is so hard for some to understand.

Well your definition "moderate your food choices to the ones that you like" could result in someone eating just fast food, presumably in moderate quantity and that wouldn't fit the articles "definition".

Can vegetarians do moderation ? Vegans ?
  • yarwell
    edited October 2015
    Options

the author uses the webster definition of moderation, not sure why you think it is some made up definition …

the author used one definition from a dictionary, prefixed with the number 1, which tells me there are others. They then applied it to eating.

The phrase "the avoidance of excess or extremes," is precise enough, but after that everything is subjective as one persons extreme might be another's norm. The median consumption of soda in some populations is zero, does that make 50% of them extreme ? or the other 50% consuming to excess ?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh, I like this one! There are some folks that think that moderation "can mean anything" but this article nails it down. It is the absence of extremes. Nice. Thanks for sharing it!

When I first started reading on MFP, I was trying very hard to figure out what the heck people meant when they said "clean" or "in moderation" because one person would say this was clean and another would say that was clean, while one person saying moderation was this and another was saying moderation was that.

You can argue that both terms have definitions, but are carried out differently. That really doesn't help the person who is trying to figure out exactly what it means.

The fact of the matter is that saying "clean" or "in moderation" just isn't specific. It has no meaning that anyone could pinpoint and say "Everyone who says they eat this way does X."

I don't mind people using the words "clean" or "in moderation." I get what they mean in a general sense. But when they use those words, I don't know exactly how they are defining them. Most of the time, the general sense works just fine. Occasionally, though, I need a little more.

If someone asks about how to eat treats "in moderation", there will be 20 different ways to do it.

I have the same issue with both terms - "clean" and "in moderation" and am not slamming either group or trying to make fun of either group or have a fight.

I never suggested that anyone should stop using those terms! It's just that they aren't really clearly describing a way of eating.

The difference is that there's a specific definition to 'moderation'. Good luck finding one for 'clean eating'.
    The problem is that lots of people have defined it, but they've all defined it ver differently.

Maybe the group of people in this thread will agree upon a definition and then people would know what you all meant, but not everyone who uses the term is using it the way you do.

Clean eaters could say that "clean" has a definition, but it is carried out differently by different people and some people are using it wrong. It still doesn't allow me to know what the person who says, "I'm eating clean" actually means.

Saying, "This word has a definition, but is carried out differently by different people and some people are using the word wrong" - that doesn't help the person who reads it to know what it means.

Moderation for a dieter with a TDEE of 3800 calories who's an ominivore is going to look different than moderation for a dieter with a TDEE of 1800 calories who's a vegetarian. They can both still practice moderation, but the specifics of how it's applied will look different.

Is this supposed to be a trap saying that because a vegetarian doesn't eat meat there's an absolute?

I don't eat beets either, is this a problem too? I don't eat foods I don't like. Most people don't. I don't think this kicks me out of club moderation.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Here's the full definition:
    1moderate
    adjective mod·er·ate \ˈmä-d(ə-)rət\
    : average in size or amount : neither too much nor too little

: neither very good nor very bad

: not expensive : not too high in price

Full Definition of MODERATE

a : avoiding extremes of behavior or expression : observing reasonable limits <a moderate drinker>
    b : calm, temperate
    a : tending toward the mean or average amount or dimension
    b : having average or less than average quality : mediocre
    : professing or characterized by political or social beliefs that are not extreme
    : limited in scope or effect
    : not expensive : reasonable or low in price
    of a color : of medium lightness and medium chroma
    — mod·er·ate·ly adverb
    — mod·er·ate·ness noun

Examples of MODERATE

Her doctor recommended moderate exercise.
    There were moderate levels of chemicals in the lake.
    drinking moderate amounts of coffee
    Most of these medicines relieve mild to moderate pain.
    a family of moderate income
    a book of moderate length
    The group met with only moderate success.
    a writer of moderate talent
    The hotel offers comfortable rooms at moderate prices.
    Both moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans can agree on this new law.

I... don't think this really changes anything.
  • yarwell
    Options

Is this supposed to be a trap saying that because a vegetarian doesn't eat meat there's an absolute?

I don't eat beets either, is this a problem too? I don't eat foods I don't like. Most people don't. I don't think this kicks me out of club moderation.

Not eating meat is "eliminating an entire food group" which is the sort of thing dietitians regard as not moderate behaviour. I view it as an extreme, eating a bit of meat would be moderation, but refusing all meat is an extreme position.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

it was more a maieutic question. Anyway, never mind.

• PeachyCarol
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think there's a disconnect here in that some people are thinking that moderation is a diet plan. Is this how sad things have become in the need to be to have some named diet? I know a person who eats paleo most of the time simply because she likes food along those lines, but every now and then, she has some Trader Joe's gluten free chocolate chip cookies or sourdough bread. That's her version of moderation, because she doesn't deny herself foods she loves in the name of a diet plan.

I'm a vegetarian, I incorporate moderate amounts of all the foods I love into my life. I practice moderation.

The idea behind moderation is not to say you HAVE to have things. The idea of moderation is simply avoiding denying yourself if you don't want to. If you're happy avoiding things? Go for it.

I don't want meat in my life, so I don't include it. No biggie. I want cookies in my life, so they're there.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Not eating meat is "eliminating an entire food group" which is the sort of thing dietitians regard as not moderate behaviour. I view it as an extreme, eating a bit of meat would be moderation, but refusing all meat is an extreme position.

I hardly think dietitians would regard a well-balanced vegetarian diet with plenty of protein as unhealthy.

Your view, as a low carber, is hardly surprising.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

no, you don't eat meat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LOL only on MFP would some people choose to debate a word that has one definition…

never change MFP, never change….
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Went to bed, slept 8 hours, and came back to the same arguement. Never change, MFP.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I just read the article blog some random person wrote, and frankly, I'm think it's completely off on the definition of moderation. Moderation is the absence of extremes, but I think it is more appropriately applied in the same context as "eating within your macros" or "having a calorie deficit" - it's a concept that can be applied to all different ways of eating, whereas this author tries to make moderation into a labeled diet where specific foods are included. The author basically defines it as "eating mostly whole foods with treats." Um, what? That's not any definition of "eating in moderation" that I've ever heard, that's someone trying to co-op the term to make their preferred type of food intake into something they think everyone else needs to adhere to for success.

The most ridiculous part is the author states that things like eating 100% paleo, or going sugar-free, or only eating organic are considered "extreme," but then goes on to contradict herself by saying "The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes." Wouldn't eating a paleo diet or vegetarian diet or a no added sugar diet fall into the category of personal preferences and tastes? And who determines what is or is not a treat or indulgence in someone else's diet?

To me, moderation has to do with portion size and/or frequency of consumption, not any specific type of food. The author also goes on to talk about food restriction and binging - for some people, yes, this can be a very real concern. For others, restricting or eliminating a food is their path to success. The author admits to having feelings of guilt around long-term restricting/binging and foods - that's her personal psychological issue, it's not endemic to all people who restrict foods. Others find that just eliminating the food reduces or eliminates issues around foods, because they no longer endure the psychological stress of trying to moderate those foods and failing.

TL;DR: I'm glad she found something that works for her, but as far as the author's definition of moderation

you-keep-using-that-word.gif

the author uses the webster definition of moderation, not sure why you think it is some made up definition …

Just because she quoted the definition does not mean she used the word properly in context. Here's what she initially says (hat tip to the cherry-picking manner in which she choose to present only one definition for the word and completely left out the definition of the idiom "in moderation" which means "without excess; moderately; temperately")
    mod·er·a·tion

ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
    noun
    1. the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one’s behavior or political opinions.
    Eating 100% strict paleo is not moderation, it is extreme.

Yet later in the article she states:
    So what does moderation look like in the real world?

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes. It also leaves room for regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure.

The application she describes is quite different from the definition she presented, and a 100% paleo diet would easily fit the criteria of a "mostly whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetable, lean meats, healthy fats, etc;" the choice to eat a paleo diet would be supported by her statement that "the specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes; and things like paleo desserts would certainly fit into the category of "regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure."

Therefore, a paleo diet meets the criteria for "what moderation looks like in the real world," which contradicts her previous statement about a paleo diet. The author is applying the same definition inconsistently. In the first instance, she defines moderation by the types of food consumed/behavior of eliminating certain foods from one's diet, and in the second, she defines moderation by the amount/frequency of types of foods consumed and the behavior of exercising that practice.

My post clarified is that her use in the first instance is inaccurate and that the second instance is the correct usage when discussing diet and food consumption, which makes moderation apply across ways of eating. Her use of both instances as acceptable under that one specific definition is glaringly contradictory - which also supports what some other users have said about the definition of moderation being unclear to some people. The author's own words support that position.

paleo would never meet the requirement of a "moderate diet" because it calls for the elimination of certain food groups, and also says that one has to eat like a paleolithic person, which would mean only eating local foods found within a 100 mile radius of where one lives, and sustaining on a diet of raw meet, grubs, plant roots, etc.

your understanding of moderation is severely flawed, and you do not understand the point that the author is trying to make.

Also, the authors application of moderation is totally in line with the diet as it is one where the theoretical person would be getting micros from whole foods, filling in macros with other foods, and then indulging in treats and what not to fill in left over calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    LOL only on MFP would some people choose to debate a word that has one definition…

At least it was a "Moderately" entertaining morning watching certain posters argue against what moderation is and require quantifiers to prove it's existence.

• ndj1979
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

At least it was a "Moderately" entertaining morning watching certain posters argue against what moderation is and require quantifiers to prove it's existence.

me thinks the ones that are arguing against it are just jealous that they cannot apply the principle to their own lifestyle, so they lash out at those that can and say "well that is not moderation and you are not doing it"….
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just read the article blog some random person wrote, and frankly, I'm think it's completely off on the definition of moderation. Moderation is the absence of extremes, but I think it is more appropriately applied in the same context as "eating within your macros" or "having a calorie deficit" - it's a concept that can be applied to all different ways of eating, whereas this author tries to make moderation into a labeled diet where specific foods are included. The author basically defines it as "eating mostly whole foods with treats." Um, what? That's not any definition of "eating in moderation" that I've ever heard, that's someone trying to co-op the term to make their preferred type of food intake into something they think everyone else needs to adhere to for success.

The most ridiculous part is the author states that things like eating 100% paleo, or going sugar-free, or only eating organic are considered "extreme," but then goes on to contradict herself by saying "The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes." Wouldn't eating a paleo diet or vegetarian diet or a no added sugar diet fall into the category of personal preferences and tastes? And who determines what is or is not a treat or indulgence in someone else's diet?

To me, moderation has to do with portion size and/or frequency of consumption, not any specific type of food. The author also goes on to talk about food restriction and binging - for some people, yes, this can be a very real concern. For others, restricting or eliminating a food is their path to success. The author admits to having feelings of guilt around long-term restricting/binging and foods - that's her personal psychological issue, it's not endemic to all people who restrict foods. Others find that just eliminating the food reduces or eliminates issues around foods, because they no longer endure the psychological stress of trying to moderate those foods and failing.

TL;DR: I'm glad she found something that works for her, but as far as the author's definition of moderation

Just because she quoted the definition does not mean she used the word properly in context. Here's what she initially says (hat tip to the cherry-picking manner in which she choose to present only one definition for the word and completely left out the definition of the idiom "in moderation" which means "without excess; moderately; temperately")
    mod·er·a·tion

ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
    noun
    1. the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one’s behavior or political opinions.

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes. It also leaves room for regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure.

The application she describes is quite different from the definition she presented, and a 100% paleo diet would easily fit the criteria of a "mostly whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetable, lean meats, healthy fats, etc;" the choice to eat a paleo diet would be supported by her statement that "the specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes; and things like paleo desserts would certainly fit into the category of "regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure."

Therefore, a paleo diet meets the criteria for "what moderation looks like in the real world," which contradicts her previous statement about a paleo diet. The author is applying the same definition inconsistently. In the first instance, she defines moderation by the types of food consumed/behavior of eliminating certain foods from one's diet, and in the second, she defines moderation by the amount/frequency of types of foods consumed and the behavior of exercising that practice.

My post clarified is that her use in the first instance is inaccurate and that the second instance is the correct usage when discussing diet and food consumption, which makes moderation apply across ways of eating. Her use of both instances as acceptable under that one specific definition is glaringly contradictory - which also supports what some other users have said about the definition of moderation being unclear to some people. The author's own words support that position.

paleo would never meet the requirement of a "moderate diet" because it calls for the elimination of certain food groups, and also says that one has to eat like a paleolithic person, which would mean only eating local foods found within a 100 mile radius of where one lives, and sustaining on a diet of raw meet, grubs, plant roots, etc.

your understanding of moderation is severely flawed, and you do not understand the point that the author is trying to make.

Also, the authors application of moderation is totally in line with the diet as it is one where the theoretical person would be getting micros from whole foods, filling in macros with other foods, and then indulging in treats and what not to fill in left over calories.

Vegetarian and vegan diets also call for the elimination of certain food groups, as do diets that eliminate certain foods due to medical conditions. Is your argument that none of those people can enjoy a moderate diet due the elimination factor? No one with Celiac's is eating a moderate diet or practices moderation?

My understanding of moderation is correct; both you and the author are trying to co-opt the term and make it apply to your preferred way of eating and the actual foods you wish to eat. You are the one whose understand is severely flawed by trying to state that only people who eat a diet that does not eliminate any foods is eating in moderation - especially since even the author herself states that the actual foods consumed will vary based on personal preferences and tastes (which again, contradicts her previous argument that diets like paleo cannot not be moderation).

That application of moderation is also totally in line with paleo, vegetarian, vegan, no-added-sugar, low carb, and gluten-free diets.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Fantastic article full of awesomeness.

http://www.healthyhabitshappymoms.com/moderation-excuse/

So moderation is the new form of the old idea of a balanced diet?

I see.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

mod·er·a·tion

ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
    noun

Some people in this thread have claimed that it's not a "moderate diet" and that "in line with the diet" wouldn't be describing it. They feel it isn't a diet at all and isn't about a diet in any way.

Another person suggested it means you have treats, but not all the time.

Someone else suggested that you just don't have too much of something.

Even in the thread about how everyone is thinking the very same thing, there have been some discrepancies on the definition.
This discussion has been closed.