Do you find wearing gym wear encourages you?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Can I just ask a really odd question? I'm in the U.S. and I'm thinking that vest is not the same item of clothing that it is here because I can't fathom wearing one to work out. Would clear up some of my books as well, lol.

These are vests in the U.S.
    kvym3iz8wsg4.jpg

LOL

Those are waistcoats

Work out vest

jd_product_list?plu=jd_032913_a&resmode=sharp

In the US, that's a tank top....if it's still called the same thing as it used to be.

Colorado here, confirming that that is indeed a Tank-top in USpeak. But I have heard them referred to as racerbacks because the shoulder bits connect in the back...

:D Names of things we wear change over the years. Pedal pushers back then are now capris, and back then we wore thongs on our feet to the beach, and now we wear them on a different part of our body. :blush:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Can I just ask a really odd question? I'm in the U.S. and I'm thinking that vest is not the same item of clothing that it is here because I can't fathom wearing one to work out. Would clear up some of my books as well, lol.

These are vests in the U.S.
    kvym3iz8wsg4.jpg

LOL

Those are waistcoats

Work out vest

jd_product_list?plu=jd_032913_a&resmode=sharp

In the US, that's a tank top....if it's still called the same thing as it used to be.

Colorado here, confirming that that is indeed a Tank-top in USpeak. But I have heard them referred to as racerbacks because the shoulder bits connect in the back...

:D Names of things we wear change over the years. Pedal pushers back then are now capris, and back then we wore thongs on our feet to the beach, and now we wear them on a different part of our body. :blush:

LOL! I have a buddy whose mom is British and we would all just die when she called his flip flops thongs every summer. It was funny when I was 13.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I was confused about why OP wanted to wear a vest to workout in. Seemed very uncomfortable to me. I love all the stuff you learn on MFP!

I find that the right workout clothes make all the difference to making me feel great during a workout, but it's more important for running that lifting, IMO. I'm way more likely to look forward to a workout if my "favorite" running pants/shorts/sports bra are clean and ready to go. Otherwise, I know there will be some point when I'm pulling something up or adjusting something. As I've lost weight, I've slowly gotten rid of the ill-fitting workout clothes and tried to add only items I love and feel good in. That is motivating to me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like nice workout clothes. I like clothes in general so I prefer not to wear crap clothes to a place (the gym) where I spend a lot of time. I would not wear a crop top though. Arms and back showing, fine...maybe some ankle. Otherwise-covered.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Haha @balcan
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Ever since I lost 53 lbs. I can wear my little spaghetti strap dresses, and feel really pretty... :)

I'm a dude.

No judgement, but spaghetti straps are for ENHANCING small shoulders. With the broad shoulders of a man, my fashion advice is boatneck dresses or single-shoulder neck high wrap dresses;) the former really enhances the collar bone, while the latter minimizes the look of broad shoulders while still drawing attention to the definition of the scapular muscles and upper arm

You know I was joking right?

Yes. You know I was joking right?

Haha solid advice anyway, just in case.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Love wearing active gear makes me want to work harder even if I am doing house work!!!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    Haha @balcan
    Ever since I lost 53 lbs. I can wear my little spaghetti strap dresses, and feel really pretty... :)

I'm a dude.

No judgement, but spaghetti straps are for ENHANCING small shoulders. With the broad shoulders of a man, my fashion advice is boatneck dresses or single-shoulder neck high wrap dresses;) the former really enhances the collar bone, while the latter minimizes the look of broad shoulders while still drawing attention to the definition of the scapular muscles and upper arm

You know I was joking right?

Yes. You know I was joking right?

Haha solid advice anyway, just in case.

I think so:)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    here Down Under (Australia) we still wear thongs on our feet and not on that other part of the anatomy and those vests/tank tops? they're called SINGLETS.

LOL!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oh yeah - and I wear "Active wear" even when not being active if I can (like on the weekends) - purely for comfort. My actual gym gear is old and falling apart and needs to be replaced and is not colour-coordinated or funky or anything. I just bought 2 bright fluoro pink and orange singlets today at KMart for $6 - they're my 2 new gym tops LOL.

I generally wear 3/4 leggings and a singlet (over a crop top of course). I also have those stretchy leggings with the legs that flare out at the bottom (dance pants?) and I have one pair of running shorts which I have work at the gym maybe twice only.

I need new pretty workout gear.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    here Down Under (Australia) we still wear thongs on our feet and not on that other part of the anatomy and those vests/tank tops? they're called SINGLETS.

LOL!

Lol! Oh my, I'm gonna start needing to write these down to keep track ha ha!
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I prefer to wear faded clothing with very little color, makes me feel like ive been working out. New brighter cloths shout look at me, im new to this and i have no idea what im doing lol imo. I think people either get the impression i workout ALOT, to stubborn/cheap to buy new cloths or am a really poor person. So yes, wearing faded gym attire keeps me motivated.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    As long as what I wear doesn't have a hole in the crutch I'm good to go.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    As long as what I wear doesn't have a hole in the crutch I'm good to go.

I always seem to get them at the waistband, like the inner wicking material separates at the top of the pant around your waist where the seam is until it's all the way around. So irritating. When I get to goal I'm resolved to shell out for better quality stuff.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Australians say tank tops too are least in my part of Australia. As camilacreme said, active wear is very popular in Australia as hanging out wear even amongst non-gym goers, so much so that someone made this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRENWT8lz8
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    And it helps me encourage others. lol

ravnaxoq8l1i.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I would personally never wear a crop top anywhere outside of my home, but that has more to do with the fact that I hate how my stomach looks! I cant say Ive ever bought nice workout clothes (other than an expensive sports bra, which is a flat-out necessity when you're busty), but I've been considering getting some.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Yes and being a comic book nerd plus Underarmour's Alter Ego line up of workout clothes, I am pretty much broke. XD
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Sinead1819 wrote: »

This is the kind of top you wear because it is comfortable and because you do not mind at all being noticed (assuming nothing else on top of it). Which is what I used to wear before having kids, now stretchmarks annoy me. If you are comfortable about your body and you do not get bothered by attention, go for it. I think that it can give you a confidence boost personally. But I also love bikinis, and have been known to swim topless where it is allowed.
    If it is going to make you more self conscious or if you will feel embarrassed by the attention, this is not what you should wear. If, as you mention in one of your replies, you do not understand why girls wear revealing clothes, then wear a second looser top above the bra like top. You do not go to the gym in a garment that could double as a bra and hope it does not look revealing :)
  • Sinead1819
    Sinead1819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Sinead1819 wrote: »

This is the kind of top you wear because it is comfortable and because you do not mind at all being noticed (assuming nothing else on top of it). Which is what I used to wear before having kids, now stretchmarks annoy me. If you are comfortable about your body and you do not get bothered by attention, go for it. I think that it can give you a confidence boost personally. But I also love bikinis, and have been known to swim topless where it is allowed.
    If it is going to make you more self conscious or if you will feel embarrassed by the attention, this is not what you should wear. If, as you mention in one of your replies, you do not understand why girls wear revealing clothes, then wear a second looser top above the bra like top. You do not go to the gym in a garment that could double as a bra and hope it does not look revealing :)

No i've bought some loose overshirts too, but by overly revealing I mean the kind of clothing you see on girls "working out" on certain sections of YouTube etc. by overly revealing I mean seriously... xD I guess revealling is not so much the word, more kind of aimed to be sexual.