Not a fan

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't want to speak for anyone, but I think there is a lot of shaming in all of the forum boards. It tends to take on a different look in chit chat threads, IMO, but it's still there. It's everywhere.

(In reference to he conversation between @mccindy72 and @sunn_lighter)
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    She lost over 100 pounds two years ago and developed an eating disorder in the process. Gained it all back and is losing more slowly this time (but she is losing according to interviews). She also owns up to the fact that it was personal choice and not solely her PCOS to blame for the weight gain. It's not like any of this is hard to find. She's done a ton of interviews that a quick google search gave me. Honestly, this board is terrible with the body shaming.
    Actually I believe it to be much more cordial than any other of the fitness/body building boards I used to frequent. One could be 20% body fat and they refer to one as a fatty and lard butt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I get your point, but it reads as "Fat shaming is fine because other boards are doing it worse."

I don't agree with HAES, but like it was said above - a generalization about that rather than pointing out specific people and their flaws may be a better idea.
    Which wasn't what I was to convey, so my bad if it came across that way. Any body shaming is not cool and I'm just glad we don't see a lot of it here on the boards.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i call bs on that bs on that. it's just more body shaming cloaked in the (maybe slightly insincere) sentiment of being worried about a random stranger's health.

that's why i like to stay in chit chat where it *usually* doesn't come up. :/
    I don't worry about her health. She doesn't mean anything to me nor do I have an vested interest in her. I just disagree about her message that one could be very overweight/obese and healthy is incorrect (HAES).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

she said that?

i've never seen the show so i don't know

Yeah, she's a big promoter of the HAES movement.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    When does this debate end
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    She lost over 100 pounds two years ago and developed an eating disorder in the process. Gained it all back and is losing more slowly this time (but she is losing according to interviews). She also owns up to the fact that it was personal choice and not solely her PCOS to blame for the weight gain. It's not like any of this is hard to find. She's done a ton of interviews that a quick google search gave me. Honestly, this board is terrible with the body shaming.
    Actually I believe it to be much more cordial than any other of the fitness/body building boards I used to frequent. One could be 20% body fat and they refer to one as a fatty and lard butt.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I get your point, but it reads as "Fat shaming is fine because other boards are doing it worse."

I don't agree with HAES, but like it was said above - a generalization about that rather than pointing out specific people and their flaws may be a better idea.
    Which wasn't what I was to convey, so my bad if it came across that way. Any body shaming is not cool and I'm just glad we don't see a lot of it here on the boards.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i call bs on that bs on that. it's just more body shaming cloaked in the (maybe slightly insincere) sentiment of being worried about a random stranger's health.

that's why i like to stay in chit chat where it *usually* doesn't come up. :/
    I don't worry about her health. She doesn't mean anything to me nor do I have an vested interest in her. I just disagree about her message that one could be very overweight/obese and healthy is incorrect (HAES).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

she said that?

i've never seen the show so i don't know
    While she says she's not naive to possibly getting any health issues in the future, she's said that she's not suffering from high blood pressure, heart disease, or any health ailments (besides PCOS) and is probably healthier than many individuals who aren't her size. And of course I'd disagree because carrying even an extra 50lbs would be taxing on any average individual's spine, knees, ankles, joints, and even internal organs. And we're talking at least an extra 200lbs for her. I can't think of any medical organization that would agree that an individual that size could be healthy.
    Again, I applaud her "No BS" campaign, but emphatically disagree with her HAES stance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff, thanks for posting this.
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese. How do you accept a disease (obesity) and an increased risk of so many other diseases for someone you love? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Are you kidding me? It's one thing to discuss whether a person who is obese needs to worry about health problems, but it's another thing entirely to say something as ridiculous as what you just said. A person's self worth is not tied into his or her body alone, and whether or not a person is fat does not make them loveable. People struggle with body image every day, and to say that someone who is morbidly obese should struggle with the ability to love oneself is asinine.
    Look in the mirror. I'm sure you have flaws. Learn to look past them and see your own unique beauty - that's what every person needs to do, thin, obese, tall, short, black, white, man, woman, etc. Loving oneself shouldn't have anything to do with the image in the mirror. It has to do with knowing who you are as a person and knowing you're doing the best you can.

I agree. Our body size has nothing to do with our self worth.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    three pages worth of a woman that mostly none of us 'care about' or have a 'vested interest' in.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese. How do you accept a disease (obesity) and an increased risk of so many other diseases for someone you love? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Are you kidding me? It's one thing to discuss whether a person who is obese needs to worry about health problems, but it's another thing entirely to say something as ridiculous as what you just said. A person's self worth is not tied into his or her body alone, and whether or not a person is fat does not make them loveable. People struggle with body image every day, and to say that someone who is morbidly obese should struggle with the ability to love oneself is asinine.
    Look in the mirror. I'm sure you have flaws. Learn to look past them and see your own unique beauty - that's what every person needs to do, thin, obese, tall, short, black, white, man, woman, etc. Loving oneself shouldn't have anything to do with the image in the mirror. It has to do with knowing who you are as a person and knowing you're doing the best you can.

It's not assinine. And it's not about being flawless. It has nothing at all to do with race, stature, gender or attractiveness.

It's about willingly and knowingly giving a disease (obesity) to and raising the risk for numerous other diseases for someone you claim to love.

It's ridiculous to compare health with what you see in the mirror.

any person can be unhealthy and still love who they are. Those are two different things. Focusing solely on the body and discussing it in this way (and causing lurkers to see it as well) is going to cause disordered thinking.

I agree. Which is why I never mentioned her body, only her health. Those are two different things.

I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese.
    That is a direct quote from your post - that is a direct comment on her body.

Obesity is a disease.
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    Options
    don't speak for everyone.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

It's not assinine. And it's not about being flawless. It has nothing at all to do with race, stature, gender or attractiveness.

It's about willingly and knowingly giving a disease (obesity) to and raising the risk for numerous other diseases for someone you claim to love.

any person can be unhealthy and still love who they are. Those are two different things. Focusing solely on the body and discussing it in this way (and causing lurkers to see it as well) is going to cause disordered thinking.

I agree. Which is why I never mentioned her body, only her health. Those are two different things.

I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese.

Obesity is a disease.

What does that have to do with the bold?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Everything. My post (the entire post, not the cherry picked bolded part) had nothing to do with looks or body size. It had to do with disease. Obesity is a disease. Obesity increases your risk of numerous other diseases. To love yourself and be obese doesn't seem possible to me. It seems a huge contradiction. I would never willingly give anyone I love a disease.

Understand?
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Everything. My post (the entire post, not the cherry picked bolded part) had nothing to do with looks or body size. It had to do with disease. Obesity is a disease. Obesity increases your risk of numerous other diseases. To love yourself and be obese doesn't seem possible to me. It seems a huge contradiction. I would never willingly give anyone I love a disease.

Understand?

Plenty of people have children, that they passed on the risk of genetic diseases to; does that mean that they don't love their children?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Plenty of people have children, that they passed on the risk of genetic diseases to; does that mean that they don't love their children?

Well, that is exactly the same thing now isn't it? ::huh::
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Cancer is a disease too. Can't love myself if I have cancer?

So is mental illness. I have anxiety and I still love myself - I just strive for change.

You can love yourself and want to change for the better.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    It's the newest form of dementia: people who believe their warped sense of reality should be exempt from criticism
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Cancer is a disease too. Can't love myself if I have cancer?

So is mental illness. I have anxiety and I still love myself - I just strive for change.

You can love yourself and want to change for the better.

Did you knowingly give yourself cancer or anxiety? It seems you are being obtuse for arguments sake, but your last sentence is true.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

What does that have to do with loving yourself?

So is cancer, hypertension, diabetes, psoriatic arthritis, hypothyroidism, IBS, and AIDS (and others too numerous to mention).

Should the people suffering from those not love themselves?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Knowingly giving yourself the disease vs. still loving yourself? Are you seriously suggesting that self-hatred is an acceptable way for the obese to go through life? So on top of their physical disease, they should pile on a mental one as well, according to you.