Not a fan

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    She has a tv show where she's trying to lose weight and she has a condition that makes it difficult to lose it so I think the debate ends there really

That almost sounds like incentive not to lose weight. What happens to the TV show if she loses all the weight?

they give her a new TV show if it's popular enough.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    She lost over 100 pounds two years ago and developed an eating disorder in the process. Gained it all back and is losing more slowly this time (but she is losing according to interviews). She also owns up to the fact that it was personal choice and not solely her PCOS to blame for the weight gain. It's not like any of this is hard to find. She's done a ton of interviews that a quick google search gave me. Honestly, this board is terrible with the body shaming.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    TLC the same people that brought you Here comes Honey Boo Boo.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I'm a tryer. 100+ days on MFP and only 13lbs lost. Excuses and slacking
    She lost over 100 pounds two years ago and developed an eating disorder in the process. Gained it all back and is losing more slowly this time (but she is losing according to interviews). She also owns up to the fact that it was personal choice and not solely her PCOS to blame for the weight gain. It's not like any of this is hard to find. She's done a ton of interviews that a quick google search gave me. Honestly, this board is terrible with the body shaming.

This board is 100x worse with shaming shaming. People use that term like a crutch here when they don't agree with fact or opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    She has a tv show where she's trying to lose weight and she has a condition that makes it difficult to lose it so I think the debate ends there really
    There have been lots of people with PCOS that have lost weight. Remember she started at 115lbs and ballooned up to 380lbs. That wasn't because of PCOS. Maybe 50lbs I'll buy, but not 265lbs. That's directly from not paying any attention to her own diet. And we're talking more than 200lbs to lose to even be at the high end of BMI for her, so the difficulty is more about losing a tremendous amount of weight and not just 50lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

That almost sounds like incentive not to lose weight. What happens to the TV show if she loses all the weight?

they give her a new TV show if it's popular enough.

exactly. the Biggest Loser seems to have quite the following.
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    She does apparently have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which even with exercise causes her to gain rapid weight. :/

I've seen enough on MFP and in the success stories area to know that this is not an excuse to stay overweight.

She is currently trying to lose weight. No reason to attack. :/ I don't think she is choosing to stay overweight just trying to accept herself for the time being. to Love her self on the way to a healthier lifestyle.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Just what I was thinking. She got a show because of her dancing videos and spunk but being obese doing it. But take the weight away and she's just an average dancer with spunk. And there are lots of those out there.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I love her! Trying to lose weight and trying to lose weight while having PCOS are 2 very different battles. I've been there. It sucks! And like her I learned to be happy in my own skin, regardless of my size. The fact people would be upset about that truly pisses me off!!! Why are overweight people not allowed to be happy? Why can't we go on dates or out dancing? And heavens *kitten* forbid we get caught having a good time!!!! We are fat right! We should be at home eating carrot sticks or running on the treadmill until we have become socially acceptable to be happy in public.
    Whitney struggles, she has never hidden that fact. But because she goes out and has pizza with her friend or fights with her dad about eating a freaking sandwich she must not be trying. She does more in one day then most of my skinny friends do in a week. You can be skinny and happy, fat and happy, poor and happy, rich and happy..... But you have no business deciding who is and isn't allowed to be happy in the life they have.

^^^ Yes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

The shows not going to last forever, they've never had a TV show of an overweight star successfully lose it though either as far as I know
    Though she doesn't have a show anymore, Rosanne Barr has lost weight after cancellation and looks like she's kept it off, although hers was via gastric bypass. I think her last continuous appearance was on "Last Comic Standing" as a judge.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually I believe it to be much more cordial than any other of the fitness/body building boards I used to frequent. One could be 20% body fat and they refer to one as a fatty and lard butt.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Actually I believe it to be much more cordial than any other of the fitness/body building boards I used to frequent. One could be 20% body fat and they refer to one as a fatty and lard butt.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I get your point, but it reads as "Fat shaming is fine because other boards are doing it worse."

I don't agree with HAES, but like it was said above - a generalization about that rather than pointing out specific people and their flaws may be a better idea.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I get your point, but it reads as "Fat shaming is fine because other boards are doing it worse."

I don't agree with HAES, but like it was said above - a generalization about that rather than pointing out specific people and their flaws may be a better idea.
    Which wasn't what I was to convey, so my bad if it came across that way. Any body shaming is not cool and I'm just glad we don't see a lot of it here on the boards.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mccindy72
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Which wasn't what I was to convey, so my bad if it came across that way. Any body shaming is not cool and I'm just glad we don't see a lot of it here on the boards.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i call bs on that bs on that. it's just more body shaming cloaked in the (maybe slightly insincere) sentiment of being worried about a random stranger's health.

that's why i like to stay in chit chat where it *usually* doesn't come up. :/

I'd post a line of laughter here, but that would be mean. However, I've seen the chit-chat forums. I've never seen more body shaming in these forums than there is in the Chit-Chat threads.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i call bs on that bs on that. it's just more body shaming cloaked in the (maybe slightly insincere) sentiment of being worried about a random stranger's health.

I don't worry about her health. She doesn't mean anything to me nor do I have an vested interest in her. I just disagree about her message that one could be very overweight/obese and healthy is incorrect (HAES).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'd post a line of laughter here, but that would be mean. However, I've seen the chit-chat forums. I've never seen more body shaming in these forums than there is in the Chit-Chat threads.

i don't really understand your recursive sentence structure

Now I know why you don't recognize body shaming in the Chit-Chat forums.