Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese. How do you accept a disease (obesity) and an increased risk of so many other diseases for someone you love? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Are you kidding me? It's one thing to discuss whether a person who is obese needs to worry about health problems, but it's another thing entirely to say something as ridiculous as what you just said. A person's self worth is not tied into his or her body alone, and whether or not a person is fat does not make them loveable. People struggle with body image every day, and to say that someone who is morbidly obese should struggle with the ability to love oneself is asinine.
    Look in the mirror. I'm sure you have flaws. Learn to look past them and see your own unique beauty - that's what every person needs to do, thin, obese, tall, short, black, white, man, woman, etc. Loving oneself shouldn't have anything to do with the image in the mirror. It has to do with knowing who you are as a person and knowing you're doing the best you can.

It's not assinine. And it's not about being flawless. It has nothing at all to do with race, stature, gender or attractiveness.

It's about willingly and knowingly giving a disease (obesity) to and raising the risk for numerous other diseases for someone you claim to love.

It's ridiculous to compare health with what you see in the mirror.

any person can be unhealthy and still love who they are. Those are two different things. Focusing solely on the body and discussing it in this way (and causing lurkers to see it as well) is going to cause disordered thinking.

I agree. Which is why I never mentioned her body, only her health. Those are two different things.

I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese.
    That is a direct quote from your post - that is a direct comment on her body.

Obesity is a disease.

What does that have to do with loving yourself?

So is cancer, hypertension, diabetes, psoriatic arthritis, hypothyroidism, IBS, and AIDS (and others too numerous to mention).

Should the people suffering from those not love themselves?

What?!? No. You have my point completely backwards. Please re-read what I wrote.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I finally got your point. You are suggesting that people who are obese should become mentally ill by engaging in self-loathing since they have given themselves the disease of obesity.

You clearly haven't thought through your stance.

Loving yourself does not mean you accept your disease state as the status quo.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I finally got your point. You are suggesting that people who are obese should become mentally ill by engaging in self-loathing since they have given themselves the disease of obesity.

Nope, your first sentence is 100% incorrect. But I suspect you know that. Otherwise you wouldn't need to restate my position using your own words. (if you are referring to me)
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the woman you mention but I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese. How do you accept a disease (obesity) and an increased risk of so many other diseases for someone you love? It doesn't seem possible to me.

Are you kidding me? It's one thing to discuss whether a person who is obese needs to worry about health problems, but it's another thing entirely to say something as ridiculous as what you just said. A person's self worth is not tied into his or her body alone, and whether or not a person is fat does not make them loveable. People struggle with body image every day, and to say that someone who is morbidly obese should struggle with the ability to love oneself is asinine.
    Look in the mirror. I'm sure you have flaws. Learn to look past them and see your own unique beauty - that's what every person needs to do, thin, obese, tall, short, black, white, man, woman, etc. Loving oneself shouldn't have anything to do with the image in the mirror. It has to do with knowing who you are as a person and knowing you're doing the best you can.

It's not assinine. And it's not about being flawless. It has nothing at all to do with race, stature, gender or attractiveness.

It's about willingly and knowingly giving a disease (obesity) to and raising the risk for numerous other diseases for someone you claim to love.

any person can be unhealthy and still love who they are. Those are two different things. Focusing solely on the body and discussing it in this way (and causing lurkers to see it as well) is going to cause disordered thinking.

I agree. Which is why I never mentioned her body, only her health. Those are two different things.

I've always had a hard time with the concept that someone can both love theirself and be morbidly obese.

Obesity is a disease.

What does that have to do with the bold?

Everything. My post (the entire post, not the cherry picked bolded part) had nothing to do with looks or body size. It had to do with disease. Obesity is a disease. Obesity increases your risk of numerous other diseases. To love yourself and be obese doesn't seem possible to me. It seems a huge contradiction. I would never willingly give anyone I love a disease.

Understand?

Plenty of people have children, that they passed on the risk of genetic diseases to; does that mean that they don't love their children?

Well, that is exactly the same thing now isn't it? ::huh::

If everyone whom didn't have children, so that they didn't pass on genetic diseases; we'd nearly be extinct. How's that loving yourself and/or your species?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Everything. My post (the entire post, not the cherry picked bolded part) had nothing to do with looks or body size. It had to do with disease. Obesity is a disease. Obesity increases your risk of numerous other diseases. To love yourself and be obese doesn't seem possible to me. It seems a huge contradiction. I would never willingly give anyone I love a disease.

Understand?

Plenty of people have children, that they passed on the risk of genetic diseases to; does that mean that they don't love their children?

If everyone whom didn't have children, so that they didn't pass on genetic diseases; we'd nearly be extinct. How's that loving yourself and/or your species?

Can a dwarf love themselves? How about the child of 2 dwarfs who is also a dwarf? Should the child dwarf love themselves? Should the parents not love themselves for giving the disease to the child?

I'm so confused. Why can't everyone just love themselves?
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Can a dwarf love themselves? How about the child of 2 dwarfs who is also a dwarf? Should the child dwarf love themselves? Should the parents not love themselves for giving the disease to the child?

I agree!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited November 2015
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Yes, Yes, Yes, No (in order to first paragraph) Edit - the last answer may be yes too. The wording is confusing to me. Not sure if you are asking if it's okay for them to love themselves (would be Yes). I read it as asking if I thought they should not love themselves. Not really sure what either question as to do with the thread topic, though.

I don't know the answer to the last one. I imagine there are various reasons people don't love themselves.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Yes, Yes, Yes, No (in order to first paragraph)

I don't know the answer to the last one. I imagine there are various reasons people don't love themselves.

I don't understand why you fight so hard to say that the obese can't love themselves. Just because obesity has been classified as a disease doesn't mean that someone who is obese shouldn't love themselves. Every single person should be able to love him or herself, regardless of whether there is a disease process, a physical defect, or anything else. While there may be imperfections, or things to work on, that doesn't mean that a person can't look at him or herself and find something to love. We are all unique and beautiful and there is no reason for anyone to be ashamed of who they are.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Yes, Yes, Yes, No (in order to first paragraph)

I don't understand why you fight so hard to say that the obese can't love themselves.

I never said that.

• Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    Options

Obesity is a disease.

Understand?

Cancer is a disease too. Can't love myself if I have cancer?

So is mental illness. I have anxiety and I still love myself - I just strive for change.

You can love yourself and want to change for the better.

Did you knowingly give yourself cancer or anxiety? It seems you are being obtuse for arguments sake, but your last sentence is true.

Its not always a conscious thing you know as it goes for the latter. I have a friend who developed anorexia. she didnt do it knowingly she was just trying to lose weight from being Obese and just took things to the extreme when she was no longer losing the weight she'd grown accustomed to. Eventually you do notice the changes but often its too late to make it an easy switch back to fixing it.
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    Options
    Ugh...not Nicole Arbor thats a whole nother can of worms I don't want to get into.. -__- ; Two words. shock value
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I see a greater issue with people watching TV in general than taking issue with one show.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Nope, your first sentence is 100% incorrect. But I suspect you know that. Otherwise you wouldn't need to restate my position using your own words. (if you are referring to me)

No, I don't know that. I am trying to understand your point by piecing together your statements and putting forth my understanding of your position.

You stated you didn't understand how anyone who was obese could love themselves, and then you started putting forth the argument that obesity was a self-caused disease.

You are conflating loving yourself with accepting and loving the condition. They are two separate things and concepts.

My body is not my sense of self. In fact, I'd posit that no one should tie their body to their sense of self or self-worth, otherwise the disabled would have a pretty tough row to hoe.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

No, I don't know that. I am trying to understand your point by piecing together your statements and putting forth my understanding of your position.

You stated you didn't understand how anyone who was obese could love themselves, and then you started putting forth the argument that obesity was a self-caused disease.

You are conflating loving yourself with accepting and loving the condition. They are two separate things and concepts.

My body is not my sense of self. In fact, I'd posit that no one should tie their body to their sense of self or self-worth, otherwise the disabled would have a pretty tough row to hoe.

I don't understand why you can't understand that I'm not talking about what a body looks like.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I don't understand why you can't understand that I'm not talking about what a body looks like.

Because when you use the words 'morbidly obese' you are referring to a person's body.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I watched quite a few episodes. She does exercise! And she can *kitten* dance like it's nobody's business! I feel bad for her because of people like you who have nothing better to do with their time than talk *kitten*.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    s904018o3aok.jpg
    Here's a pic of her instructing her Dance/ workout class. Your welcome. People should really be ashamed of themselves and as a woman talking down about other women who are trying to empower and stop the fat shaming even more so!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I watched quite a few episodes. She does exercise! And she can *kitten* dance like it's nobody's business! I feel bad for her because of people like you who have nothing better to do with their time than talk *kitten*.
    Don't confuse her exercising and dancing with claiming to be healthy at 380lbs just because she hasn't had any health issues showing yet. Again you won't find any medical organization that would agree with that.
    I support her stance on body shaming. I've seen it in every gym I've ever worked in, out in public, and through social media and it's insensitive to the people it's directed at.
    However my OP was her stance on HAES, not body image.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png