Accents: Which make you melt and which drive you mad?

Options

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm from Durham 20miles down the road from Newcastle, & its amazing the difference a couple of mile can make because I'm definitely not Geordie! :-)

As for my personal favourite I'd have to go with Irish
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    anything european with a little bit of broken english - like penelope cruz

or hong kong chinese speaking little bit broken english.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Slovenian accent is just amazing, southern accents, British accent's especially Irish and Aussie ones just annoy me something fierce >.<
    They may annoy you but not half as much as people from Ireland or Australia would be to be told they have "British" accents! Different countries mate

And neither country is in Britain, so well done.

I don't have an accent

I'm just here to learn more about people's knowledge of geography :happy:
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Female Irish accent. OMG! I'm in love. Especially when they curse. Lol

Come hang around my house then!!! I love a good cup of tea and a curse, there's nothing like it!
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Saxon (Sächsisch) is absolutely hilarious. I love hearing it!

"Was? Lös! Was habsch dir gsocht? Du sölst um zwölfe zehause sein!"

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/8055096/du_sollst_um_zwoelfe_daheeme_sein
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend sounds like any other Californian when he speaks English, but when he's talking to his family in Russian for some reason I just love it :blushing:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Aussie accent melts me.... German accent not so much....

ICH LEIBE DICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

german.jpeg

Haha we have this up in our office at work (languages dept in a school!)

I like southern American accents, and also Irish, and Italian. Oh, and Australian. I'm English.
  • mounty89
    mounty89 Posts: 41
    Options
    Aussie accents are probably top for me. Have a soft spot for Irish and weirdly certain northern accents :P
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Female Irish accent. OMG! I'm in love. Especially when they curse. Lol

Come hang around my house then!!! I love a good cup of tea and a curse, there's nothing like it!

mmmm, I forgot how hot that is!
  • LolliLouUk
    LolliLouUk Posts: 172
    Options
    Melters: Scottish, Italian, Irish, Texan
    Madders: American (except Texan), German, Russian
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued to know what a 'British' accent is but I suspect it's people saying 'British' when they mean 'English' and probably thinking of London/South. NAILS ON CHALKBOARD. But not as bad as when English people say 'English' instead of 'British'. i.e. "tea is a very English tradition". NGGGH.

Rant over.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    english, definitely english :blushing:

Honestly, there is no such thing as an English accent, it's like saying an American accent, there are so many variations and even the words people say in our tiny country are not understood by all :flowerforyou:
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Honestly, there is no such thing as an English accent, it's like saying an American accent, there are so many variations and even the words people say in our tiny country are not understood by all :flowerforyou:

snap! Almost.
  • lost_in_thought
    Options
    Welsh accent is awesome.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Slovenian accent is just amazing, southern accents, British accent's especially Irish and Aussie ones just annoy me something fierce >.<
    They may annoy you but not half as much as people from Ireland or Australia would be to be told they have "British" accents! Different countries mate

Were you commenting on the original post or my reply? If me maybe its the way I worded it because as an English person living in Australia I've got a bloody good idea of the geography involved

I don't have an accent

• kellynlulu
    kellynlulu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Irish....the stronger the better!!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm from Durham 20miles down the road from Newcastle, & its amazing the difference a couple of mile can make because I'm definitely not Geordie! :-)

As for my personal favourite I'd have to go with Irish

whenever im in durhum (live in newcastle, dont sound like it) its soo nice! people actually talk like me and no one calls me posh haha
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Were you commenting on the original post or my reply? If me maybe its the way I worded it because as an English person living in Australia I've got a bloody good idea of the geography involved

I don't have an accent

I started with the word 'and' like I was continuing yours.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    For all the people digging the British accent....you clearly havnt been to Yorkshire LOL.

Me...I like a german accent....not sure why.

Some American accents grate on me, but I dont no which part they come from.
  • LolliLouUk
    LolliLouUk Posts: 172
    Options

I kinda disagree with this. Yes, there are different accents for different parts of Britain, but each one is British.. they don't' sound American, Italian etc, they are just different variations of British.

PS. my Norfolk accent is hot! hehe