Accents: Which make you melt and which drive you mad?

Options

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I dislike a strong spanish or indian accent. Some middle eastern and African dialectic accents as well. It's not that I hate the way it sounds...any accent is cool and exotic. I just have a REALLY hard time understanding them sometimes.

I answer phones at my job. If I can't understand you, I get frustrated and embarrassed at having you repeat something over and over again until something (hopefully) finally clicks. I know it's not your fault, but please don't get angry at me for trying to understand and decipher what you're saying!

I love several different sorts of British/Irish/Scottish accents. French and Italian accents are pretty, too. Aussie accents turn me into a puddle.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person speaking, I agree wholeheartedly with the Geordie accent, it's english but isn't annoying like Hugh Grant, it's friendly and funny, big fan. I like some English accents but not the posh ones.

I'm Irish myself, but I HATE the Dublin accent. Most of the Southern Irish accents annoy me actually (by southern, I mean the bottom half of the country, geographically South, not politically), but I like the accents from the top half, excluding deep northern Irish accents, they aren't nice, though for some reason when a man from say, Antrim, tells a joke, it's funnier than anyone with a milder accent telling it.

Wales, difficult sometimes to understand, but it's lovely...

I've never heard any other accents enough to decide what I think. I need to get used to hearing it before I can decide....
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Welsh accent is awesome.

I'd have to disagree! The Welsh accent makes me cringe! Well, the South Wales accent anyway, especially when I hear my own voice! :p North Wales is just creepy and haunting, to listen to lol. I like southern American accents, their pretty darn cool.

South Wales accent is great! I lived in Swansea for four years and now can't even say the word 'Swansea' without coming over all Welsh. I have relatives in Swansea/ Cardiff/ Ogmore so the accent is very welcoming to me. Now North Wales type accents? - sorry for anyone here from that area but it sounds to me like people are choking!

I would say my accent is definitely northern English ( I have a 'bath' not a 'barf') but to people east of Manchester I apparently sound a bit scouse. Oh dear.

I love most accents but can take a dislike to the loud variety of Londoners (both cockney style and hooray Henry.) Using a 'w' sound for an 'l' will always sound wrong - like the word 'well' coming out as 'wew'. And a 'u' sound being pronounced as an 'a' (duck becoming dack) Weird :)

My husband is from Yorkshire (Leeds) and his accent is nice, but I'm not a massive fan of the Hull accent.

This really made me giggle.

And Oh dear indeed!

Yorkshire accent is my favourite! I forgot about that!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I love Italian accents. I used to work with a fella who was from Italy and I would talk to him just to hear him talk.

My city is pretty culturally diverse and I work with the public (typically when they are angry). No particular accent drives me mad, but when they speak so quickly you can't understand them it can be really frustrating.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous: Irish (north and south... yes even Dubs), French, Nordic, Italian, Southern USA (although I haven't learnt enough of northern US accents to be a connoisseur)
    Worst or feel apathetic about: English (although the further north I go, the more I feel comfortable with them... and I was born in the south), Welsh, Spanish
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do not like the southern accent. Do not think it's cute at all.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Scottish accents (preferably the central belt area and Highlands) drive me crazy good! Russian accents - ya, not so much.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    Do not like the southern accent. Do not think it's cute at all.

I live in the south and I approve this message.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen's accent makes me giggle
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    None. I seriously can not listen to people with accents, especially really strong ones. It just annoys me :ohwell:
  • PepperWorm
    Options

Her voice and accent are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Ugh, she gives Georgia a bad name.

To be fair...Georgia gives Georgia a bad name. lol.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    When I first moved to backwoods Virginia from Kansas everyone thought I was a stuck up snob when in reality I couldn't understand a word they were saying. "A! Owr yoo aday?" I totally rock at the game Mad Gab now though!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Melt: Jersey/NYC (I have Jersey), Boston
    Mad: Indian, german, surfer lol
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Girls with a Scottish or Irish accent, really got into the Californian accent lately too :love:

Can't stand the Welsh or Birmingham accent

Would like to realize what the 'California accent' actually is. Unless it's that 'surfer' accent?

Sadly, New Jersey (not all) and Brooklyn accents are not very appealing to me (no offense guys).
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Aussie since I married one and get to listen to it everyday! Lucky me!! :love:
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

I'm Texan and one of my family's favorite pastimes is making fun of her accent. She HAS to be exaggerating it on purpose. Has to be. The way she says "oil" like "AWL" kills me! Granted, I'm from north Texas, so I don't have an especially thick southern accent. But still...
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    anything other than american.. although i do love a boston accent
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    None. I seriously can not listen to people with accents, especially really strong ones. It just annoys me :ohwell:

This means you can't listen to anyone, because everyone has an accent of some kind....you can't speak without an accent :tongue:
  • dandrews010
    dandrews010 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Girls with Irish accents have me at hello. Its such a good accent.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I love all types of accents. Strong thick accents of any type.

That being said, if English is an individual's first language and verb tenses are used incorrectly, I am automatically turned off.