has anyone else stopped eating fruit?

Options
1235»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    I stopped eating fruit for the same reason, too high in calories to be worth it. But now I'm getting lower and lower on calories and thinking I need to go back to fruit to feel fuller again.

If you are having issues with feeling full, fats and protein are much more likely to help you with success, and also to help you reach calorie goals as well.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    No one ever got fat eating fruit. Fruit is full of good stuff for you and high in fiber to make you feel full. Compare 100 calories of most fruit to 100 calories of any junk food and you're going to get more food for your calories.

Eat your fruit. It's good for you.

If all you ate was fruit, with a deliberate and determined effort I'm sure you could still get fat - although apparently freelee and durian rider (gofruityourself, carbthef**kup.com) are able to consume crazy amounts of fruit (50 bananas a day etc) - my theory is they just do a lot of exercise and are very active generally.
    I'm sure at some point they lack the enzymes to digest that many carbohydrates or bypass what is physiologically possible to digest...malabsorption.
    Fruit just seems like a waste in comparison to other foods much denser in nutrients...I.e kale, organ meat, eggs, etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I must be really confused. Looking at a Pound of Strawberries that is ~150 calories. Is that high for a pound?

no, because fruit is mainly water. A pound of dry rice would be over 1000 calories. Perhaps a "serving" is the thing to compare ?

That is a serving! It's fruit, nice tasty low calorie frui

Save us the commercial. A pound is not a serving.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    LernRach wrote: »
    of course i log it when i eat, the problem I find is that psychologically my 170 calories on a piece of fruit could almost be a packet of salt and vinegar crisps..... yummmmmm ( ye i know macros etc)

True but the overall volume of food will be more generally which should be more effective at keeping you fuller. The crisps will be say 40g and the sharon fruit will be closer to 200g (so almost 5 times more).

Excately. If I have 170 calories to spare I'd rather spend in on fruit as it has som many feel good things going for it, keeping me full being one of them. A packet of crisps, does not fill me, leaves me probably yearning for more of the crips and with a not full stomach in a danger zone.

Honestly it has been tested a few times. I choose fruit over just about any other 'treat' My fruit is my daily treat.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What about eating lower calorie fruits?
    Raw apricots
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    Water melon
    Fresh cranberries
    Papaya

Or eat a range of different coloured vegetables instead, they tend to be lower calorie options.

• LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You are all right in that fruit is important, I could have lower calorie fruit etc. and in actual fact I haven't cut out fruit completely! Before using MFP, when I was attempting to lose weight, fruit and vegetable would be interchangeable in my eyes, I would grab whichever tickled my fancy, because both of them are "free" on Slimming World and therefore it didn't matter.
    Now that I weigh and count so carefully, this has changed dramatically! I can almost always grab a cucumber or tomato, I can't just "grab" a fruit whenever I want is basically what I was implying... Prior to MFP, I would never have thought that I would have to restrict fruit intake... That's it... no eating disorder, no misunderstanding, no bingeing on crisps etc
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You are all right in that fruit is important, I could have lower calorie fruit etc. and in actual fact I haven't cut out fruit completely! Before using MFP, when I was attempting to lose weight, fruit and vegetable would be interchangeable in my eyes, I would grab whichever tickled my fancy, because both of them are "free" on Slimming World and therefore it didn't matter.
    Now that I weigh and count so carefully, this has changed dramatically! I can almost always grab a cucumber or tomato, I can't just "grab" a fruit whenever I want is basically what I was implying... Prior to MFP, I would never have thought that I would have to restrict fruit intake... That's it... no eating disorder, no misunderstanding, no bingeing on crisps etc

People on these boards sometimes use the phrase "disordered eating" a little carelessly. I have been diagnosed multiple times as anorexic and orthorexic, lol. Don't sweat it.

Yes, when you're counting calories, EVERYTHING counts. Things like Weight Watchers and Slimming World have a different kind of program - and it can work, too! - and their rules don't apply when counting calories. After you've been counting for a while, you will notice that fruits and veggies give you a good deal of vitamins and minerals for very few calories. You may very well find that they're the most filling foods around, too. Fiber hangs out longest in the stomach, so it makes sense that many people feel fuller for longer when eating fibrous fruits and veggies. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Cucumbers and tomatoes are both fruit.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and it's healthy; I make it work in my daily calorie goal and eat some every day. :smiley:
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I just can't justify the calories and carbs, so my fruit eating is minimal and rare. If you can work it in, there's no reason to give it up. If you can't, then that's ok too. Just make sure your other food choices help make up the nutrient differences.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It really confounds me when i hear fruit and veggies are Free on some programs. I can easily eat over 200 calories in fruit and veg a day, those calories would soon add up if i wasn't counting them.. Especially since my deficit is only 250 cals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I only have fruit a couple of times a month. I've never loved fruit and it doesn't fit my macros or health goals very well anyways.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I don't anymore, but only because of their sugar content. But, I need to be mindful of that-you probably don't. If sugar wasn't an issue, I'd still eat them, absolutely!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I can eat tons of veg because I love them, they fit my macros and my calorie goals but some days that banana in my morning smoothie puts me over my preferred cal/carb consumption. Fruit don't taste good enough to me to bother forcing upon myself. If I want one a few times a week I eat it and make it all work, but I usually much prefer some crackers with cheese or some pepper and cuc slices with hummus.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I eat 100-400 calories of fruit every day, and I will happily take fruit over most other carb sources. I would NEVER give up my fruit.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I eat 100-400 calories of fruit every day, and I will happily take fruit over most other carb sources. I would NEVER give up my fruit.

Me too, that would be ridiculous. I just had a large jug of banana, strawberry and papaya smoothie. The only thing that would have made it better is adding mangoes but I didn't have any.
  • fhocklax27
    fhocklax27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    But, have you looked at how much less calorie dense fruit is rather than other fruits? I eat nearly 70% fruit on my vegan lifestyle and have never been more satisfied: I can eat all day long and am still steadily LOSING weight! If you love fruit so much, embrace it, and kick out all the other junk which is the real waste of calories :wink:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I still eat some fruit, mainly berries on a day-to-day basis. I tend to snack more on veggies now as I find I get a lot more bang for my buck out of them. I love bananas though so have the odd one of these but mostly keep them as a pre-game energy source. I eat much higher carbs on game days though.

At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with fruit but, as with any food you just have to arm yourself with the knowledge of its macro, micro and calorie content and decide in the context of your overall diet whether fits and whether its worth it for you.