why exercise if..

Options
123457»

Replies

• cyberiantigeress
    cyberiantigeress Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I like to eat and drink beer, exercise makes room for it!

Ditto lol
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    cheesyP wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

It keeps your metabolism fast?
    Or is that a myth also?

It keeps your muscle volume higher, which increases metabolism since muscle is fairly metabolically active.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    cheesyP wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

It keeps your metabolism fast?
    Or is that a myth also?

It's not necessarily a myth, but your TDEE will be higher if you exercise regularly. You know when you first logged into MFP and it asked you to set an activity level? If you set it at sedentary because you don't exercise, you're gonna get slotted at BARE MINIMUM calories because your TotalDailyEnergyExpenditure is pretty low. But if you exercise 1-3 times a week, you get to set it at "Lightly active" and you would be able to eat more and still lose the same amount of weight as someone set at sedentary with the same weekly loss goals (2lbs per week, 1, 1.5, .5 whatever). So it's beneficial to your metabolism in that exercising increases your TDEE, but it doesn't really change your normal, just hanging out metabolism either. The increased metabolism from working out ends when you end the work out:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    And another point I didn't mention.

I have a 16 year old daughter. She is cute. Thankfully, she is so engrossed in her studies that so far she hasn't worried much with a relationship. So I've been lucky. But I know the day is coming.

And when it does, I want to be fit enough to strike fear into her boyfriend when I give him the "you hurt my daughter talk". Serious fear.

Is she your only kid?

Yep.

You guys just reminded me. I'm an only child too, and I guess another reason why I want to be fit is so that I can defend myself against any boyfriends who try to hurt me. I know I can't rely on my parents (no offense mom and dad, I love you all the same!) for that.

If you even remotely think this is a possibility you are hanging out with the wrong people
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I started to exercise mostly for vanity reasons. However, since I've been working out consistently for the past three and a half years, there has been so many more changes/improvements in my life.

Here are my reasons why I workout:

- I love having a tight, toned body and I look awesome naked.

- I believe working out has made me avoid loose skin after losing 80 lbs, plus it has helped lift certain areas on my body.

- Working out helps maintaining my weight easy and manageable and I have not gotten out of my 5 lb range.

- Exercise has helped me reduce my blood pressure and has improved my heart and circulation. I went from a "poor" resting heart rate to "athlete" range in about one year and I'm still in the same range.

- I love bonding with my guy on our 3 - 4 mile after dinner walks during the spring - fall.

- Errrr...relations is so much more fun and easier with increased flexibility, endurance, stamina and mobility. Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

- Working out makes me feel so good. I have a constant bounce in my step. I'm proud of my transformation, what I've accomplished and when I reach my personal fitness goals.

- I feel like such a bada** when I lift heavy and also when I can carry all of my groceries in the house in one swoop.

- Being active reduces my stress and helps to clear my head. Plus when I walk I get ideas and it give me a chance to think about things.

- I get solid sleep every night. In the morning I pop out of bed without an alarm clock, full of energy and ready to workout. All without caffeine.

- I notice people who workout and take care of themselves tend to age much slower and don't look their age (generally speaking). That is extremely motivating to me.

There are probably other reasons, but these are some of the main reasons why I workout daily. I need to wrap this up to go workout.

Trying different exercises/sports/activities and figuring out what I enjoyed and didn't enjoy has been the key for me with staying consistent.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel awesome.
    Helps manage, or reverse, chronic conditions.
    Helps with longevity.
    Assists in maintenance.
    A pound of muscle burns 6 calories a day, vs a pound of fat, which burns 2. (so, increases metabolism).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    And another point I didn't mention.

I have a 16 year old daughter. She is cute. Thankfully, she is so engrossed in her studies that so far she hasn't worried much with a relationship. So I've been lucky. But I know the day is coming.

And when it does, I want to be fit enough to strike fear into her boyfriend when I give him the "you hurt my daughter talk". Serious fear.

Is she your only kid?

Yep.

You guys just reminded me. I'm an only child too, and I guess another reason why I want to be fit is so that I can defend myself against any boyfriends who try to hurt me. I know I can't rely on my parents (no offense mom and dad, I love you all the same!) for that.

I think you may be meeting the wrong men if this is an issue for you. Please tell me you were joking...