why exercise if..

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive spicy food eater. My husband and I travel around to partake in spicy food challenges. The Carolina Reeper knocked Bhut Jolokia aka ghost pepper out of the Guinness book of world records as being the hottest pepper in the world. I had the pleasure of eating two of those peppers and shaking the hand of the mad scientist who created them.

It is very true that eating spicy foods releases "feel good" endorphins. For some people they trigger a sense of euphoria comparible to a "runners high". If only endorphins from eating spicy foods alone caused weight loss, if that were the case if have no need to be here counting calories at all.

You had me at the bolded part. That's so f'ing cool.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    cheesyP wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

I don't exercise to lose weight. My diet is what I use to lose weight.

I exercise to feel good, look good (better), increase my calorie deficit (what I do with that increased deficit is my business) and enjoy the release of endorphins. Perhaps those who question exercise have never experienced this release, just pain and tiredness.
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

Now, habaneros and ghost chilies? Those bring the endorphins.

Ok, so let's figure out an exercise routine for you that includes eating chilies so you get used to getting endorphins while exercising, and then gradually withdraw the chilies >:)

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Because it makes weight-loss easier, faster and more sustainable.

Because it feels good.

Because it is fun.

Because it helps with stress.

Because exercise improves concentration.

Because daily exercise is NECESSARY for general health--including the health of your brain, bones, heart and circulatory system.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Because living on 1200 calories leaves little room for indulgences. So I workout. I run, I Zumba, I Latin dance, and I kick box. Because some days I want 1600 calories!
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    -so I could eat more
    -I like to lift.
    -I don't want to be the 'skinny' person who just lost all the weight.
    -Going to the gym gives me happy hormones. Lol
    -Good for the health
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I just skimmed some of the posts, so apologies if this has been mentioned already. When I first joined MFP, there were a couple of aphorisms I saw that encapsulated the answer to this question:

"You can't outrun a bad diet." HOWEVER…

"You diet to look good in clothes. You exercise to look good naked."
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe some of the comments here. I've lost almost 60lbs without exercise. I had a car accident last year that messed my back up and was born with my hip smaller on one side so it pinches my lower back when I try to exercise. I won't be doing something that causes me extreme pain.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe some of the comments here. I've lost almost 60lbs without exercise. I had a car accident last year that messed my back up and was born with my hip smaller on one side so it pinches my lower back when I try to exercise. I won't be doing something that causes me extreme pain.

Totally possible to lose weight without exercising; I think that's been mentioned a couple times. Congrats on your loss!
  • Saraw0520
    Saraw0520 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I exercise because as I lose weight, it helps keep things tighter. I don't want to be skinny-fat when I reach goal. I want to be fit and trim. I also do it for my mental health. Battling depression is a lifelong struggle, but working out makes me very happy. If I am sad when I get to the gym, I always walk out feeling better. I like the feel of pushing myself to lift heavier and feeling like I have accomplished something. As others have said, it is me time. No work, spouse, house cleaning, etc. Just me. I definitely don't do it to lose weight. That is where my diet comes in.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    And another point I didn't mention.

I have a 16 year old daughter. She is cute. Thankfully, she is so engrossed in her studies that so far she hasn't worried much with a relationship. So I've been lucky. But I know the day is coming.

And when it does, I want to be fit enough to strike fear into her boyfriend when I give him the "you hurt my daughter talk". Serious fear.

We should get you a D.A.D.D. T shirt:)

Dads Against Daughters Dating ha ha!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

Because life is more than a number on the scale. You need exercise to maintain good health - exercise or an overall active lifestyle. Your body will pay the price of a completely sedentary lifestyle, even if you control your weight. You need physical activity to prevent heart-related problems, to control your cholesterol levels, to prevent diabetes, to prevent loss of bone density.
    And for more visible benefits: thin and sedentary does not look anywhere close as good as thin and athletic ;) Plus it is fun.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

i thought this myself..... i currently do body combat 4 times a week.. i think why bother..as what am i really achiving from this as i want to lose weight? and diet is key to losing weight right?... well i can say that my worries and wonders instantly came to a halt when i seen a friend that i hadn't seen in a long time. she is 1 stone lighter than me... yep 1 stone LIGHTER and when i saw her i instantly knew why i had to continue to exercise - although i am heavier than her i was trimmer, i was in such better proportion i couldn't believe it.. im no skinny minnie yet but when i stood next to her i instantly seen the benefits of doing what i was doing... it just shows that we cant just focus on them scales.. that exercise changes the shape of your body and even me who is 15 stone can sometimes still look better than people who are lighter..
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    because i like to eat. and exercise creates a higher deficit
    I plan on getting this shirt soon
    il_340x270.716074732_nugh.jpg

THAT!!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Aside from all the feel good and eat more reasons, there are physiological reasons why exercise improves weight loss.

When we lose weight - generally one wants to lose fat and retain muscle and bone. Exercise does a variety of biochemical changes in your body from glucose use, increases fat oxidation, transitional insulin resistance, protein synthesis up regulation, etc. etc. etc. All these things - in moderation - help focus weight loss towards more fat loss.

In the absence of exercise, one will lose more lean body mass (muscle and bone), and this is "not a good thing™".
    Exercise also helps maintain a better balance of hormones related to hunger, mood, and actual metabolism like optimal thyroid function, etc.

Keep these going optimally makes all the "not a good thing™" aspects of weight loss occur less.

• GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    I run/exercise because punching people is frowned upon.

This is why i do kickboxing. its my licence to punch things :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

No one is advocating exercise through extreme pain. I've had lower back issues for almost 30 years and knee issues for six. I have to modify all the time. Usually walking is fine but if I walk too much or too fast, I get knee pain again and switch to yard work or working on the trail behind my house. Fortunately, I can always find something that I can do despite whatever is acting up at the time.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I exercise because its good for my mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »

*raises hand*

I have the Zombies Run app, and that helps, but I don't like walking. I can't run, I don't like going to the gym, I don't know why but exercise videos annoy me, and I'm horribly uncoordinated which makes sports a bad idea. Swimming is ok on my body, but I find it boring. About the only think that counts as exercise that I like is DDR, but until I get my asthma under control, I can't do it for long enough to make a difference before having an asthma attack. So my walking is to try and get my asthma under control so I can justify spending money on a good DDR pad for home use and do that again, not because I like it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    scolaris wrote: »

*raises hand*

I have the Zombies Run app, and that helps, but I don't like walking. I can't run, I don't like going to the gym, I don't know why but exercise videos annoy me, and I'm horribly uncoordinated which makes sports a bad idea. Swimming is ok on my body, but I find it boring. About the only think that counts as exercise that I like is DDR, but until I get my asthma under control, I can't do it for long enough to make a difference before having an asthma attack. So my walking is to try and get my asthma under control so I can justify spending money on a good DDR pad for home use and do that again, not because I like it.

My gym has those treadmills that have Solitaire on them. It's made my walking sessions much more bearable, lol (because unfortunately I don't get phone signal there so I can't watch something on my phone). And I have a stationary bike at home for when I watch TV.