Look what fast food & ice cream have done to my cholesterol

Options

Replies

• dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    woot! thats awesome! you are shredded. ahh im hoping in six months I can have definition like that with the lifting.

I've tried all kinds of eating. no joke. through trail and error I have noticed that in the beginning I was able to eat all things in moderation and still lose a lot of weight. the more weight i lost, the harder it got to lose weight and the cleaner i had to eat to see a loss (granted i wasnt doing heavy lifting at this point either and i think my exercise routine was getting repetitive). i lost more weight and started to lift heavy in addition to my training and was so ravenous so i upped my calories and started eating all things in moderation again. that combination caused me to maintain although i lost a couple inches (not a lot though). i still lift and do intense cardio but now im being a little more restrictive and "clean" and the scale is moving again.

constantly changing my regiment helps me lose weight but that's what worked for me. im pretty jealous you could eat whatever all the time and still look like that lol. at this point i can eat "dirty" if i want to maintain but losing this extra body fat happens easier for me when i clean up my diet.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why MFP makes assumptions about how "proud" or "comfortable" you are based on posts like these.

It's pretty simple. If you have success doing something the way person x does it, you get applause and commendation from person x.

If you have success doing something the way person x thinks is no good, then you get accused of arrogance, preaching, and future health problems from person x.

ooooooooh I see ;)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Well done on all counts, OP. Very well done, indeed! Your heart will thank you for having lowered your blood lipid levels and brought up the "good cholesterol" levels like that. As a life-long high cholesterol patient, I know all too well what those numbers mean and am jealous that you were able to do it without meds.

May I add that you look totally amazing? I'm a happily married woman but I certainly appreciated seeing the results of your efforts. :drinker: Again I say to you--well done!
  • GoldenGraham1
    GoldenGraham1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your Cholesterol levels can be checked by a "finger stick" method similar to checking blood glucose levels for diabetics. Check into it! :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Your Cholesterol levels can be checked by a "finger stick" method similar to checking blood glucose levels for diabetics. Check into it! :-)

If your levels are really good you won't get a true reading wtih the fnger stick method. All they could tell me is that my triglycerides were < 45 and my LDL couldn't be calculated. I knew everything was good, but being a numbers person I was disappointed. I'm going ask my doc to draw a full panel at my next visit.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You should watch "Fat Head" by Tom Naughton...it was in response to Morgan Spurlock's "Super Size Me". I found it interesting. There is so much information about food/nutrition that I really don't know what to think anymore. We should probably just have everything in moderation and we will all be fine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your health improvement. Very nice! But your subject line would be more accurate as "Look what I've been able to prevent fast food & ice cream from doing to my cholesterol"

That's a BS title that implies fast food and ice cream have some sort of causative effect on cholesterol that other food would not. That's false.

The real story here is that exercise, calorie control, and macronutrient control are what have lowered my cholesterol. The fact that I eat a lot of fast food instead of "clean" food is completely irrelevant. I didn't get fat in the first place because I ate fast food; I got fat because I ate too much food. My cholesterol was bad because I was fat and didn't exercise. My cholesterol is now good because I have low body fat and exercise.

My change implies nothing about other foods. Your subject implies the fast food and ice cream caused your cholesterol levels to lower. Which is false.

The thread title is tongue in cheek. The obvious intent of my initial post was that the "cleanliness" of the food doesn't matter. Nutrients, body composition, and exercise are what matter.

Fast food is inherently neither good nor bad.

Okay, I can understand the need for a good headline.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is in the same boat as you, he eats taco bell 3 times a day (about 6000cals average), drinks a lot of soda and sugary drinks and doesn't gain weight or have bad cholesterol. He also has a very active lifestyle both personally and professionally.

The keys here have already been highlighted, you live an active lifestyle, you exercise regularly and despite the fact that you eat "junk" food you stay within your macros each day. I think this is a VERY important part of your claim. You have inputs and outputs that equal each other. So your initial statement is correct in that junk food doesn't make you unhealthy, eating too much of most any food makes you unhealthy. That being said, you have a unique situation and have adapted to this lifestyle, it works for you!

The main driver behind demonizing "junk" food is the additives that are added that drive you to want more of said food. There's a reason one 12oz can of soda has so much salt! Also you mention that you eat a lot of sugar, but sadly 60grams a day isn't considering a lot. The recommended daily levels are around 40g and on average most Americans consume around 150-200grams per day. You are actually within 1 standard deviation of what is recommended so I wouldn't consider that a lot of sugar.

"Fast food is inherently neither good nor bad.." - To you this is true, but assuming the exception proves the rule is misguided and dangerous. Perhaps if you were really sincere on this topic you would bring forth more than personal experience and inject unbiased statistics and data to prove your points.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Where's the spare?

Awesome job!

The point of the post was that counting calories and exercising is what changes your body. You can still have pizza, fast food, macaroni and cheese and if accounted for, and using the energy you've consumed- will lose weight.

If it doesn't work for you- move on- but a congrats are in order for anyone that has brought down their cholesteral and lost weight.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    it is about what works for you. Your post is just as bad as clean eaters criticizing junk food eaters. I could not eat like that and have the same results period. I had one weekend of junk food eating while still exercising, and my PT session Monday was still harder than any I had while simple eating, and I had no energy all weekend. So, be comfortable and proud of yourself without being snide and smug. What works for you doesn't mean it should be the norm. And what works for me does not mean it should be the norm.

Showing that it can be done another way through your own story does not make you snide or smug. I think he's saying if you find it hard to cut out processed food, sodium, fast food, etc...try moderation. I really don't understand why MFP makes assumptions about how "proud" or "comfortable" you are based on posts like these. I'm not knocking clean eating, however my experience was that trying to do clean eating 100% of the time made me miserable. I was not comfortable or proud and my relationship with food got worse instead of better. I didn't feel any better either. I felt a lot worse because I hadn't dealt with the REAL problem, which was not "dirty" food for me. I'm sure it IS the problem for some people but that wasn't my truth. There's a billion and one people out there preaching that fast food, sodium, processed food, etc makes you fat, unhappy, and unhealthy. It's just a bowl of lies, over consumption is the problem and whether your food is clean or dirty if over consumption is your problem, moderation is the answer. Calling out those lies is not wrong or an attack on clean eaters. It is simply saying you do not need to cut out everything you love to be healthy and feel awesome...which is 100% true.

Great post. I agree completely that 100% clean eating made my relationship with food worse because of the guilt of eating BAD foods. Also, it made it harder to get together with friends, and my poor husband who never struggled with his weigh had to put up with it....
    A point to make to those who say they cannot moderate themselves. I was like that too but it got easier over time. I found for me I am better off eating a large portion of "junk" less often, than a little of something every day. So I might eat a pint of gelato in a weekend,(double dark Talenti) It is pretty rich and satisfying, so it usually lasts 2 days. When I eat candy, I normally eat 2 regular sized at a time. that way I am satisfied when im done and move on. I cant understand you people who can eat one square of dark chocolate a day and be happy with it! I spend the next few hours trying to distract myself from wanting the whole thing!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Solid work, man!

You'd enjoy the documentary "Fat Head" on Netflix. It's biased like anything else, but pretty good stuff... but it really touches on this topic, debunking the lipid hypothesis.

It inspired me to Eat More Bacon, for sure.

Pop-tarts forever!!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bravo!

(and can I just say... lose the towel? lol)

awesome work and ignore the haters

Yes! This ..... especially the towel ;) Looking good!!!!

I'm IN for the man-in-towel thread!

LoL! Great job and keep up the good work!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Awesome work, Jon. I am not kidding even a little bit when I say that you are the reason I took the "clean food" stick out of my *kitten* and started eating things I like.

I try and leave it in most of the time, but I'm taking it out more often :p
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Solid work, man!

You'd enjoy the documentary "Fat Head" on Netflix. It's biased like anything else, but pretty good stuff... but it really touches on this topic, debunking the lipid hypothesis.

It inspired me to Eat More Bacon, for sure.

Pop-tarts forever!!

The lipid hypothesis is bull****. I eat bacon no fewer than 4 times a week and my doctor asked ME how I improved my hdl amounts and ratios. I told him butter, bacon and the occasional scoop of ice cream. He told me to keep doing what I was doing. My BP also dropped from 170-190/90 to 130/76 <- still room for improvement but pretty solid for 4 months work.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Cool story bro!

Seriously though . . . good stuff and couldn't agree more.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You look freaking fantastic! I completely agree with not forbidding foods. If you want to eat "clean" more power to you, but that's not the only way to be healthy.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This may work now, but long term i doubt. Definitely won't work for females. Eat that way if that's what you like but there are other benefits besides weight to consider of eating clean - more balanced energy levels, less temptation/urge to binge, better hair, skin and nails,, tec. I wouldn't advocate this plan for the masses
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I am glad this has worked for you and good job on your success :drinker:

However, I have genetic hyperlipidemia, as do many others here on mfp.

I do both cardio and strength.
    I am at goal weight and a very healthy person.
    However, eating "non clean" foods is not an option for me.
    And I am not comfortable with the side effects of the statin drugs used to lower cholesterol.
    So, I need to eat as "clean" as possible along with exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This may work now, but long term i doubt. Definitely won't work for females. Eat that way if that's what you like but there are other benefits besides weight to consider of eating clean - more balanced energy levels, less temptation/urge to binge, better hair, skin and nails,, tec. I wouldn't advocate this plan for the masses

How long do I have to maintain this weight for it to be long term...? I went from about 210 maximum to 160 in 2004. I haven't been more than 5 lbs above that since. That's like..... 9 years.

And what do you know about my energy levels, hair, skin, or nails?
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Where is one of those cool graphics when you need one. AWESOME post! You look great! Confirmation that you don't have to cut out the foods you love and you can still be healthy and look great! Cheers! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!