Joint bank accounts for couples?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ive been married 5 years and we have seperate bank accounts. We each pay for designated things. I'm not sure that this is the best way for us, but it is how it is, and I doubt he would ever considered having a joint one. Sometimes it is a bit irritating when something out of the ordinary comes up how to decide who pays for it, or figuring out "I paid for daycare so you have to pay for the formula and diapers" etc. I also dislike the fact that he is in charge of buying the food, which means he buys what HE wants and is willing to spend money on rather than what I want, so if I want to buy healthy things for myself, I dip into my budget for gas, or daycare, or whatever. I personally think it would be easier FOR US to have them together, but we dont, and probably never will, and it works mostly.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    The only reason I have a joint account is because I am married to him, also it makes it easier for me to embezzle his money into my secret hair weave account.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It comes to mindset of the union, not of the money for which is in.

You are either completely one, or not.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, when married. No, when dating.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Married and definitely joint finances.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    the pitfall of joint accounts is that after a while everyone sees the balance left over as theirs....you'll go to spend it and it's gone...they will go to spend it and it's gone...

it was resentful and stressful...

Yeah, that would drive me crazy! As I said, I'm a control freak. Even as sensible as DH is, I'd have a hard time sharing an account with him for just that reason.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think this is more than just a simplistic problem. You need to know the law in your state. In mine, if I was married and my spouse did something that would render a lawsuit being pursued against him, then, in order to gain restitution, anything that had his name on it could be attached to settle the debt. That is why here it is so important to keep assests separate: houses, cars, bank accts, 401Ks etc. Don't just do something because you're married and you think everything about you should be joint. Make an informed decision to protect your assets for you and your family.

401(k)s cannot be attached to debts except for a government debt.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

• nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Separate accounts...I've been married for 15 years...we split 5 years ago because we always fought about money...we now have separate accounts and split the bills...we have never been happier!!!
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

Not. I think even married people should have a few privacies. Joint account is practical for house stuff, but each should have a separate "mad" money account.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes we do.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Living together/engaged :) ... separate accounts, but he wants to have an account together once we are married and still have our own too