OK guys... what's the best greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I like the plain Chobani. I add fruit. I've never seen the Fage.
  • diamondgirl4404
    Options
    Chobani, they are packed full of protein and you can get it in a ton of different flavors. If you don't have time to cut up fruit some day, a lot of them have flavors with fruit on the bottom!
  • lifu1
    lifu1 Posts: 10
    Options
    i usually hate greek yogurt but found that i like stonyfield
  • sassabella
    Options
    Chobani is the only one I eat.

Chobani is amazing!
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hands down adore Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt. I love the traditional plain. It tastes like pure sour cream. YUM!!! :happy:
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Fage , Chobani and The Greek Gods.I like the full-fat, not 0% fat!! I only use the plain--add berries and stevia, or 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa and stevia. Tastes smooth and creamy, like pudding. Also put taco seasoning in a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt for a salad dressing. Yum!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    FAGE 2% plain ... Hands down, FAGE is the best ... I preferred it better when it was imported from Greece (before they opened plants in the US), but even though it's not TOTALLY the same, it's still better than the other brands ... Icelandic skyr is also good ...
  • Chuki5
    Chuki5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying the Chobani but just had some from ALDI that was rockin....sounds like I have to try this Fage......apple cinnamon cherrios and granola are great to mix in........yummy just thinking about it
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Liberte 0% Plain... divine :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Fage and dannon
  • jarednuzzi
    Options
    I like the Yoplait 100 with 2x protein. Black cherry is the best flavor for them, although I’m upset because they haven’t come out with a Blueberry yet.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Fage is the best I've had. I like the plain with some honey drizzled on it. Muller and Liberte are good too. Chobani black cherry and Dannon Oikos pineapple are great fruit flavored ones.

The only ones I avoid are Yoplait because they add thickeners instead of straining the yogurt (or at least used to) and my local store brand (Fred Meyer / Kroger) because they sweetened it with splenda which I cannot stand.
  • judyisok
    judyisok Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love it! My favorite is Greek Gods non-fat greek yogurt (plain). I can do so much with it. My heart dietician turned me on to it a couple of years ago.

To top a salad, I use 1/2 cup of it mixed with 1/2 Tblsp of Litehouse Jalapeno Ranch dressing.
    For a treat, I mix a small amount (like a tsp or to taste) of my favorite Jello sugar-free pudding mix, right out of the box, into it. (Vanilla pudding mix actually makes it taste like the boxed cheesecake mix to me, however we all have our own preferences).
    You can mix so many different things with it.

More recently, my heart dietician recommended the Dannon Greek, Light & Fit (80 calories, flavored. My personal favorite in that is the black cherry.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you're in the Northeast, then check out Cabot's Plain Greek Yogurt with 10% milk fat. It is far and above any other brand I've tried. Being full fat (4% in milk netting 10%), it's the thickest and creamiest and doesn't separate like most lowfat yogurts in the large size with stabilizers do after a day or so. It's so good, I just eat it plain anymore without adding anything. It only comes in the big size, though.

Cabot is also a socially responsible co-op that distributes profits directly to the farmers.

I eat full fat everything and it hasn't had any negative effects on my weight loss. If anything, fat (like protein) fills me up so much more than carbs, so I don't get nearly as hungry and the net result ends up being less total calories per day than if I ate a lowfat diet. I can eat carbs all day and still be hungry so I need more fat and protein to balance that out and keep my total calories down.

I agree. I've tried a lot of brands and Cabot's is outstanding!!! I usually add my own fruit and like the big size since I go through a lot of it.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the acknowledgment, nmtGurl.

I get a lot of push back from people for advocating eating a fat rich diet to lose weight. I've lost over 40 pounds since January and about 50% of my calories for most of the recent part of that came from fat. I also eat a lot of protein, so between the fat and protein, I don't have many issues with being hungry all day and can get by on much smaller meals and still net less calories per day than if I ate any version of a low fat diet. Carbs just don't fill me up at all. I love them, but I can eat them all day and still be hungry and end up over my calories before I know it. Once I figured out that fat took longer to digest and full fat foods were much more satisfying both in flavor and heft, my weight loss increased and my body fat started to fall much faster.

I don't eat manufactured trans-fats and not much poly-unsaturated, but do eat a lot of saturated fats, olive oil, butter, coconut oil, etc...

If you really want to try something good, add a TBSP of a good quality liquid coconut oil to a cup of the Cabot 10%. That makes it about as creamy as half and half or real whipped cream. Add some fresh peaches and a little maple syrup to counteract the tartness of the yogurt a bit and it doesn't get much better than that.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Only Fage and chobani are true strained greek yogurts. Other brands like dannon oikos, Cabot, and Stonyfield are thickened with added ingredients.

That's true for the Cabot low fat yogurts, but not for the 10% milk fat one. It's pure yogurt made from whole milk and after being strained it's as thick as sour cream with no thickeners added.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Fage with honey or Chobani anything :) The rest seem pretty icky and artificial.
  • 902sexxi
    902sexxi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, Walmarts Greek yogurt tastes great! I like it better than the expensive stuff and it has a nice silky texture.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My favorite Greek yogurt is either Fage Non-Fat Plain or Wallaby Organic Non-Fat Plain. They are both thick and creamy and are packed with protein with low calories (1 cup = 23g of protein, 130 calories). I like to either mix it with honey, cinnamon, and fruit or with low-sodium taco seasoning and dip bell pepper strips in it.
  • aishacandoit
    aishacandoit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try Dannon Oikos® Greek Yogurt... banana cream or toasted coconut vanilla...YUMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!!!