ultrahoon wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »

That is not an assumption. That's an opinion.

All assumptions are opinions.

Hmm maybe. But all opinions are not assumptions.

True, but when your opinion is that someone with realistic goals has weighed the pros and cons, it contains an assumption. I pulled my initial goals out of a hat (figuratively speaking), I most certainly did not weight the pros and cons until much later on my journey, so as it pertains to me, that would most definitely be an assumption.

That wasn't my opinion. I said IF they have weighed pros and cons AND have realistic expectations AND they aren't starving themselves AND they know that they have to continue eating at a deficit after the 10 days, then if they chose to see if it will help them to start their journey, then they should go for it.

You really come across as trying to have a meaningful conversation. Please look at my past posts and do not let others color your interpretation of what I actually said. I'm not saying that in a snarky or condescending way. I really just am asking for you to take a fair and non biased read of what I actually said. Because I never said what you stated.

The extra 'AND's you have added change your statement significantly, the statement as quoted in a previous post contains only one if condition and zero and conditions, a very very different statement.

Yes, respectfully you have to read what I've said in its entirety. Nor did I say that "someone with realistic goals has weighed pros and cons." Seriously point out the pages where I said that. If that's there it must be some typo or I misspoke. Because I don't think I said that.

I am mistaken, the post does contain an AND clause, you're in the option 2 category in my book!

Yes o:)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Reading along here, I am just gobsmacked that anyone would encourage someone to ingest nothing but "green smoothies" for 10 days. Not only do they sound gross, the idea of putting your body through that is just...gross. (Not to mention potentially harmful.) Shudder.

How is it harmful? This is a serious question. If I am not mistaken, the OP has not explained what she is putting into her smoothies. It is possible to eat a balanced diet in smoothie form, if one must... (I am not saying that one should - I drink a delicious one for breakfast every morning and it is packed full of vegetables, some fruit, fiber, healthy fats, and protein, although I prefer eating solid foods for the rest of the day, but that is my choice.)

She wants to do only smoothies for 10 days straight which is completely different then having one or so a day to supplement her diet which may be lacking in veggies or fruits.

Again, I ask, how is it harmful if she is getting all necessary nutrients? Boring, yes. Harmful, no.

No fat, no protein.

So if I add fat and protein to my smoothie, it magically disappears? Again, I will reiterate - she did not list her ingredients (unless I missed it) and one can certainly add fats and proteins to smoothies. It makes them more delicious.

Just to jump off the back of this. My one daily smoothie contains around 39g protein and 43g fat

Exactly.

But the recipes called for by this cleanse do not.

I think a lot of the confusion in this thread is coming from the distinction between 'A green smoothie cleanse', and 'THE green smoothie cleanse'. While I certainly don't agree with cleanses, it would be possible to make A green smoothie diet that contained proper nutrients (possible omitting enough fibre?) but THE green smoothie diet would not contain the proper nutrients because it is a specific recipe.

Absolutely. But the title of the thread is the name of a specific cleanse with recipes. While it may be an assumption, I think it is a fair assumption it is what the OP plans to do.

I was not aware that there is a "specific cleanse with recipes" based on the name of this thread, nor am I aware of "THE green smoothie diet." I still have not seen these recipes, nor has the OP stated that she is following these alleged "plans," so I stand by my argument that eating only green smoothies can be healthy - my smoothies all contain spinach, kale, other greens depending on what I have on hand, frozen bananas and berries, nut milk or water for liquid, sometimes a fat, and ALWAYS an added protein. I wouldn't have that for every meal, but it's not unhealthy to do so if one pays attention to the ingredients...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Reading along here, I am just gobsmacked that anyone would encourage someone to ingest nothing but "green smoothies" for 10 days. Not only do they sound gross, the idea of putting your body through that is just...gross. (Not to mention potentially harmful.) Shudder.

How is it harmful? This is a serious question. If I am not mistaken, the OP has not explained what she is putting into her smoothies. It is possible to eat a balanced diet in smoothie form, if one must... (I am not saying that one should - I drink a delicious one for breakfast every morning and it is packed full of vegetables, some fruit, fiber, healthy fats, and protein, although I prefer eating solid foods for the rest of the day, but that is my choice.)

She wants to do only smoothies for 10 days straight which is completely different then having one or so a day to supplement her diet which may be lacking in veggies or fruits.

Again, I ask, how is it harmful if she is getting all necessary nutrients? Boring, yes. Harmful, no.

No fat, no protein.

So if I add fat and protein to my smoothie, it magically disappears? Again, I will reiterate - she did not list her ingredients (unless I missed it) and one can certainly add fats and proteins to smoothies. It makes them more delicious.

Just to jump off the back of this. My one daily smoothie contains around 39g protein and 43g fat

Exactly.

I think a lot of the confusion in this thread is coming from the distinction between 'A green smoothie cleanse', and 'THE green smoothie cleanse'. While I certainly don't agree with cleanses, it would be possible to make A green smoothie diet that contained proper nutrients (possible omitting enough fibre?) but THE green smoothie diet would not contain the proper nutrients because it is a specific recipe.

Absolutely. But the title of the thread is the name of a specific cleanse with recipes. While it may be an assumption, I think it is a fair assumption it is what the OP plans to do.

I was not aware that there is a "specific cleanse with recipes" based on the name of this thread, nor am I aware of "THE green smoothie diet." I still have not seen these recipes, nor has the OP stated that she is following these alleged "plans," so I stand by my argument that eating only green smoothies can be healthy - my smoothies all contain spinach, kale, other greens depending on what I have on hand, frozen bananas and berries, nut milk or water for liquid, sometimes a fat, and ALWAYS an added protein. I wouldn't have that for every meal, but it's not unhealthy to do so if one pays attention to the ingredients...

So you are assuming you know the OP's intent, I see.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What the OP specifies is a certain cleanse that lacks fat and protein. Any post asserting that she is deviating from THE cleanse is based on assumptions.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

It is my understanding that the OP is talking about a cleanse, using green smoothies, and nothing but green smoothies for 10 straight days. Not supplementing a diet of food. Replacing all food, with the intent to "cleanse" - flush the system - for a prolonged amount of time. I don't know or care what she is putting into her smoothies, to me it sounds gross and potentially harmful.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No fat, no protein.

Exactly.

On the first page.
    There's two different options. You can have a smoothie for each meal or do 2 smoothies and a healthy 3rd meal with chicken or fish and veggies. Look it up 10 day green smoothie cleanse it works and you can lose up to 15 lbs off it.

Google "10 day green smoothie cleanse".

The oddly specific thread title is also a clue.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Green smoothies are not harmful, and are quite delicious depending on what ingredients you put in them. The ones I used to make are very fruity tasting, and usually involve spinach, kale, cucumber, pineapple, banana, cantaloupe, or any other fruit that sounds good or that you have on hand - pears, strawberries, apple, raspberries, peaches, etc. Sometimes for the liquid I'd add carrot or fresh apple juice instead of water, or a freshly juiced orange.

I didn't like the ones I made that were ones that were "more green" than sweet - i.e., lots of green veggies like spinach, romaine, kale, beet greens, etc. and very little fruit. Those...were...not exactly gross but not as appealing at all as the fruity ones.

Don't see how they can be harmful at all - no more harmful than eating spinach & cucumber salads and lots of fruit.

OK - so you drank these green smoothies exclusively for 10 days to flush out your body? Because that was my understanding of the gist of this thread.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No...though I did consume MOSTLY green smoothies for about 2 weeks....with no ill effects and in fact I felt GREAT...it wasn't a cleanse, just a choice I made.... I was responding to your remarks that "green smoothies sounded gross and harmful."
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    On the first page.
    There's two different options. You can have a smoothie for each meal or do 2 smoothies and a healthy 3rd meal with chicken or fish and veggies. Look it up 10 day green smoothie cleanse it works and you can lose up to 15 lbs off it.

Funny how context changes when the actual original topic is considered rather than a bunch of white knighting and assumptions with no basis in fact.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    No...though I did consume MOSTLY green smoothies for about 2 weeks....with no ill effects and in fact I felt GREAT... I was responding to your remarks that "green smoothies sounded gross and harmful."

Yes, with the qualifier that those green smoothies are all that is ingested, with the sole purpose of flushing the system. I stand by my opinion. If you enjoyed your experience, great.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    On the first page.

Funny how context changes when the actual original topic is considered rather than a bunch of white knighting and assumptions with no basis in fact.

I think 3dogsrunning nailed it. OP isn't coming back.

• vivmom2014
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    On the first page.

+1

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You said "not only do THEY sound gross...." Meaning just the green smoothie alone sounded gross....and then you continued with what you presume the effect is being gross.... The opinion that a green smoothie sounded gross was the trigger for my response.
  • lynn1982
    edited November 2015
    Options

It is my understanding that the OP is talking about a cleanse, using green smoothies, and nothing but green smoothies for 10 straight days. Not supplementing a diet of food. Replacing all food, with the intent to "cleanse" - flush the system - for a prolonged amount of time. I don't know or care what she is putting into her smoothies, to me it sounds gross and potentially harmful.

I think you (and many others) are reading "green smoothie" as "juicing." NOT the same thing.

My morning (green) smoothie tastes like a milk shake. I'm sorry that is gross to you.

ETA: the OP might think she is "cleansing," we all know she's not, etc. That's really neither here nor there.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    You said "not only do THEY sound gross...." Meaning just the green smoothie alone sounded gross....and then you continued with what you presume the effect is being gross.... The opinion that a green smoothie sounded gross was the trigger for my response.

Ya know, if you love green smoothies, rock on. But this thread is talking about a completely different use of green smoothies, in my opinion, than as a nutritious diet supplement.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I think you (and many others) are reading "green smoothie" as "juicing." NOT the same thing.

My morning (green) smoothie tastes like a milk shake. I'm sorry that is gross to you.

ETA: the OP might think she is "cleansing," we all know she's not, etc. That's really neither here nor there.

What is in your morning smoothie?
  • lynn1982
    Options

Ya know, if you love green smoothies, rock on. But this thread is talking about a completely different use of green smoothies, in my opinion, than as a nutritious diet supplement.

No, it's really not. My green smoothies are very nutritious. But we already established that I am gross to you.

Rock on. And grow up.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.