10 day green smoothie cleanse

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Hey I'm Ashley and I need to lose like 60lbs. I'm starting my 10 day green smoothie cleanse Wed. Let me know if you are jnterested. I need a support buddy and I'm new to these discussion post

Maybe Ashley needs this cleanse as more of a mind reset. If this temporary smoothie cleanse will set her up to succeed in her future food choices then its a positive move.

I see nothing wrong with giving your body a break from processed foods, refined sugars and heavy starches.

Maybe I missed something; where did the OP ask for her a break from any of these foods? If someone is agreeing with this statement and the OP never said these food types. . . .is. . .this. . . .just. . . .an. . . .a-s-s-u-m-p-t-i-o-n?!?

Seems like language is tough.

It's only an assumption of @emhunter says so
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

There are no pros to cleansing because there is no such thing..

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.

you can't debate it because it is non debatable..

again, you can't debate something that does not exist….

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.

please list the pros of doing something that does not exist...

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.

you are assuming that OP will be motivated by a scale drop…and you are assuming that a ten day smoothie cleanse will set OP up for long term weight loss.

Nope I'm not. Did not say it's a fact that she will be motivated. I've said some people are motivated by a scale deand accordingly she should go for it provided she understands what she is doing and how weight loss works.

yes, which is an assumption on your part.

You truly can't understand the word you are using. Anyone that does know what assumption means will not say that that was an assumption. You are just dead wrong here.

I never said that the OP will be motivated by a scale drop or that she will keep that weight off if she does lose weight after 10 days of drinking green smoothies. That would be an assumption. I said that it happens for some so if she wants to, she should go for it and see because it may happen for her.

To make an assumption I would have to assert that everything here is a definite and I have not.

go back and read the definition of assumption..,

I'm sorry, no one that knows that term will agree I made assumptions. I know the definition. I won't debate it anymore. It's useless here. If you think me saying that something is worth a try because it may be useful is an assumption than there's no hope for a meaningful conversation between us. Think what you want. You're bent on making your own definition.

I'm just going by the dictionary definition...

You are the one encouraging ignorance by telling op it's ok to believe in mythical cleanses...

A definition that you have read but you don't understand. Seriously. Can't have a conversation with you. Have a great night. I'm officially no longer trying with you.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Knew by the title of the post I'd be in for a good laugh and this thread did not disappoint. Brava.

p.s. Maybe just maybe, the OP and everyone else who uses the term "cleanse" improperly, truly means that they just want to feel better. If you've been eating nothing but junk for years and suddenly decided to drink smoothies for a couple of meals, as long as you're putting all the good stuff in, including lots and lots of veggies, then you're going to feel "better" or, dare I say it, "cleansed." True, this is not the meaning of the word and if your kidneys are not doing a very good job at cleansing your system of toxins, then I doubt a green smoothie will help, but it will help people eat more veggies (assuming they shove them into the blender...), and that results in more vitamins and fiber which may just help one feel better or healthier. It's all in perception. But I think everyone arguing about the definition of words actually knew this...

Basically it's a placebo effect.

No, it's not actually. Crap food makes me feel like crap. Maybe that's not the case for you, but maybe it is for the OP. BUT, it has nothing to do with toxins or even weight loss for that matter...

She's not harming herself by replacing meals with smoothies. Even for 10 days, as others have argued. You can pack a lot of nutrients into a smoothie...
  • emhunter
    Options
    Sorry @ndj1979 can't engage with you. :s
  • lynn1982
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Reading along here, I am just gobsmacked that anyone would encourage someone to ingest nothing but "green smoothies" for 10 days. Not only do they sound gross, the idea of putting your body through that is just...gross. (Not to mention potentially harmful.) Shudder.

How is it harmful? This is a serious question. If I am not mistaken, the OP has not explained what she is putting into her smoothies. It is possible to eat a balanced diet in smoothie form, if one must... (I am not saying that one should - I drink a delicious one for breakfast every morning and it is packed full of vegetables, some fruit, fiber, healthy fats, and protein, although I prefer eating solid foods for the rest of the day, but that is my choice.)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Knew by the title of the post I'd be in for a good laugh and this thread did not disappoint. Brava.

p.s. Maybe just maybe, the OP and everyone else who uses the term "cleanse" improperly, truly means that they just want to feel better. If you've been eating nothing but junk for years and suddenly decided to drink smoothies for a couple of meals, as long as you're putting all the good stuff in, including lots and lots of veggies, then you're going to feel "better" or, dare I say it, "cleansed." True, this is not the meaning of the word and if your kidneys are not doing a very good job at cleansing your system of toxins, then I doubt a green smoothie will help, but it will help people eat more veggies (assuming they shove them into the blender...), and that results in more vitamins and fiber which may just help one feel better or healthier. It's all in perception. But I think everyone arguing about the definition of words actually knew this...

Basically it's a placebo effect.

No, it's not actually. Crap food makes me feel like crap. Maybe that's not the case for you, but maybe it is for the OP. BUT, it has nothing to do with toxins or even weight loss for that matter...

She's not harming herself by replacing meals with smoothies. Even for 10 days, as others have argued. You can pack a lot of nutrients into a smoothie...
    The feels is not a valid reason to define a food as crap....
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm glad you realized that your reasoning is incorrect and are going to disengage from this thread.

Enjoy your evening.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Reading along here, I am just gobsmacked that anyone would encourage someone to ingest nothing but "green smoothies" for 10 days. Not only do they sound gross, the idea of putting your body through that is just...gross. (Not to mention potentially harmful.) Shudder.

How is it harmful? This is a serious question. If I am not mistaken, the OP has not explained what she is putting into her smoothies. It is possible to eat a balanced diet in smoothie form, if one must... (I am not saying that one should - I drink a delicious one for breakfast every morning and it is packed full of vegetables, some fruit, fiber, healthy fats, and protein, although I prefer eating solid foods for the rest of the day, but that is my choice.)

She wants to do only smoothies for 10 days straight which is completely different then having one or so a day to supplement her diet which may be lacking in veggies or fruits.
  • emhunter
    Options

I'm glad you realized that your reasoning is incorrect and are going to disengage from this thread.

Enjoy your evening.

Lol more assumptions. Wise people say never debate with people on the Internet. This conversation is why.

You assume that me not engaging with you is because I "realize my reasoning is incorrect" and that I won't respond to others. I will. Just not you because you don't make much sense.

• queenliz99
    Options
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.

Your assumption has been bolded.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

She wants to do only smoothies for 10 days straight which is completely different then having one or so a day to supplement her diet which may be lacking in veggies or fruits.

Again, I ask, how is it harmful if she is getting all necessary nutrients? Boring, yes. Harmful, no.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Again, I ask, how is it harmful if she is getting all necessary nutrients? Boring, yes. Harmful, no.

No fat, no protein.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Green smoothies are not harmful, and are quite delicious depending on what ingredients you put in them. The ones I used to make are very fruity tasting, and usually involve spinach, kale, cucumber, pineapple, banana, cantaloupe, or any other fruit that sounds good or that you have on hand - pears, strawberries, apple, raspberries, peaches, etc. Sometimes for the liquid I'd add carrot or fresh apple juice instead of water, or a freshly juiced orange.

I didn't like the ones I made that were ones that were "more green" than sweet - i.e., lots of green veggies like spinach, romaine, kale, beet greens, etc. and very little fruit. Those...were...not exactly gross but not as appealing at all as the fruity ones.

Don't see how they can be harmful at all - no more harmful than eating spinach & cucumber salads and lots of fruit.

• emhunter
    Options

Your assumption has been bolded.

That is not an assumption. That's an opinion.
  • lynn1982
    Options

No fat, no protein.

So if I add fat and protein to my smoothie, it magically disappears? Again, I will reiterate - she did not list her ingredients (unless I missed it) and one can certainly add fats and proteins to smoothies. It makes them more delicious.

People contributing to this thread need to start using their brains...
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options

All assumptions are opinions.

• emhunter
    Options

Enjoy your evening.

Lol more assumptions. Wise people say never debate with people on the Internet. This conversation is why.

You assume that me not engaging with you is because I "realize my reasoning is incorrect" and that I won't respond to others. I will. Just not you because you don't make much sense.

DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS GUY! He is a meat head and a waste of everyone's time, energy and breath.

Lol I am done.
  • queenliz99
    Options

No fat, no protein.

So if I add fat and protein to my smoothie, it magically disappears? Again, I will reiterate - she did not list her ingredients (unless I missed it) and one can certainly add fats and proteins to smoothies. It makes them more delicious.

Excuse me?
  • lynn1982
    edited November 2015
    Options

No fat, no protein.

Excuse me?

Did I stutter?

Ohhh, I hurt your feelings by pointing out your lack of logic. Got it.
  • emhunter
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

All assumptions are opinions.

Hmm maybe. But all opinions are not assumptions.
This discussion has been closed.