10 day green smoothie cleanse

Options

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Proguy101 wrote: »
    The hardest part of a diet is getting started so what ever gets you going and motivated is really important even if it isn't the best way ... just my thoughts... so drink those smoothies:)
    A truly motivated person doesn't NEED a "detox/cleanse" to get started. If one is truly committed, they just start and do it right from the start. People that use gimmicks to start, usually quit in a short time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But I don't think they said that the OP NEEDS a cleanse or "gimmick."

But I agree that many that start with these things don't stay focused. However the same is true with many people that try to lose weight without the gimmicks.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Plus the bounce back effect when they switch to a normal deficit convinces many that 'this doesn't work, I might as well quit.' Which is why yo yo dieting is so prevalent. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The hardest part of a diet is getting started so what ever gets you going and motivated is really important even if it isn't the best way ... just my thoughts... so drink those smoothies:)

sorry, but you are dead wrong. Believing that you have to have a jumpstart and cleanse is not going to put one on the path to long term sustainable weight loss.

Not true. Believing you have a jumpstart DOES help some people get started and some of those people DO achieve long term sustainable weight loss. However they start does not mean it's how they finish. People are motivated by different things and respond differently to different scenarios. Blanket statements about people's responses and reactions that completely rule out other possible scenarios are not complete.

But saying a 10 day cleansing is a good way to start is giving the poster false hope. All the poster will get is disappointment when she starts eating regular meals. Cleansing toxins from your body is all part of the myth from diet hucksters.

How is it false hope? Do you think that all of these people that start a cleanse believe that they don't have to do any work after they complete the cleanse? Many of them know that they will need to continue to consume less calories than they expend.

But it is false hope! Drinking smoothies leaves you famished and weak.

How is that false hope? The claim with cleanses is that they will help you lose weight. The claims aren't that the weight you lose will mostly be fat and no water. They don't claim that they aren't difficult for some or that you magically lose 60 pounds in 10 days from it. Accordingly if you complete a cleanse, despite feeling weak or famished, and lose weight, there is no false hope.

IF you feel famished and weak that doesn't mean that you were given false hope. I'm not debating that some people could feel famished and weak, what im questioning is how that is false hope.

I'm also not debating whether it's the best way for many to lose weight or why one would chose to undergo a cleanse. Just trying to understand what the false hope is.

Because most people are hoping for long term, sustainable results, and encouraging a short term cleanse that results in water weight loss may lead them to believe that they will continue that rapid loss (false hope) is not something that one should be promoting.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Plus the bounce back effect when they switch to a normal deficit convinces many that 'this doesn't work, I might as well quit.' Which is why yo yo dieting is so prevalent. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    I saw. . .blah blah blah(which was all very accurate) BUT.....where is my fish?!?!?!?
  • emhunter
    Options
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Drinking smoothies does not mean you are getting 1200 cals. You could die from not getting enough calories. There could be harm.

• emhunter
    Options
    Drinking smoothies does not mean you are getting 1200 cals. You could die from not getting enough calories. There could be harm.

True. No one ever said that people couldn't do harmful things while drinking smoothies. My point is that drinking smoothies can be done without "starving" and therefor to automatically dismiss them as an option for SOME people to start their weight loss goals is over broad and unnecessary.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

True. No one ever said that people couldn't do harmful things while drinking smoothies. My point is that drinking smoothies can be done without "starving" and therefor to automatically dismiss them as an option for SOME people to start their weight loss goals is over broad and unnecessary.

And to automatically support & encourage them is dangerous.
  • emhunter
    Options

True. Don't think we have seen it on this thread. I personally said I'd discuss juicing in a PM.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

True. Don't think we have seen it on this thread. I personally said I'd discuss juicing in a PM.

Good idea because threads like these are hard to give good advice regarding drinking smoothies because they are not needed for weight loss.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

sorry, but you are dead wrong. Believing that you have to have a jumpstart and cleanse is not going to put one on the path to long term sustainable weight loss.

Not true. Believing you have a jumpstart DOES help some people get started and some of those people DO achieve long term sustainable weight loss. However they start does not mean it's how they finish. People are motivated by different things and respond differently to different scenarios. Blanket statements about people's responses and reactions that completely rule out other possible scenarios are not complete.

But saying a 10 day cleansing is a good way to start is giving the poster false hope. All the poster will get is disappointment when she starts eating regular meals. Cleansing toxins from your body is all part of the myth from diet hucksters.
    This. I'm sure some of us have been there at some point, and felt the same way afterwards.
    I prefer a 10 day whiskey cleanse. The alcohol can kill all the toxins.
    Ha!
    "I'm scared that if I stop drinking all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me".

• emhunter
    Options

Good idea because threads like these are hard to give good advice regarding drinking smoothies because they are not needed for weight loss.

I don't think anyone said smoothies are needed. But if done in a healthy way, nothing wrong with them to jumpstart a weight loss journey. I'd also talk to the OP about this too should they want to.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

The water weight that one loses when doing a cleanse is almost always done via unpleasant and extreme bathroom experiences. Do you also mention that when you are encouraging someone to jumpstart their weight loss?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone said smoothies are needed. But if done in a healthy way, nothing wrong with them to jumpstart a weight loss journey. I'd also talk to the OP about this too should they want to.

But why head down a completely unnecessary path that has a high chance of either harm or setback? It's actually doing folks a favor to say "jumpstart" methods to weight loss usually backfire and aren't needed.

• emhunter
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

But why head down a completely unnecessary path that has a high chance of either harm or setback? It's actually doing folks a favor to say "jumpstart" methods to weight loss usually backfire and aren't needed.

It's not unnecessary for some people to do things like this to get themselves started. I've already said that if you have realistic expectations of what the gimmick will do, you are aware of the pros and cons, and you do it in a healthy way, they then it's not a bad idea.

I used a "gimmick" to start my journey years ago. I have been consistently logging and exercising. I've maintained my loss. Since I'm aware success comes for some with the various "gimmicks", I will not dismiss OPs smoothies without more information.
  • Proguy101
    Proguy101 Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I hope your drinking a smoothie while you read this. Pretty sure your old enough to know you can switch for long term eating goal anytime.
    Remember -All food turns into a smoothy once you swallow!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

It's not unnecessary for some people to do things like this to get themselves started. I've already said that if you have realistic expectations of what the gimmick will do, you are aware of the pros and cons, and you do it in a healthy way, they then it's not a bad idea.

I used a "gimmick" to start my journey years ago. I have been consistently logging and exercising. I've maintained my loss. Since I'm aware success comes for some with the various "gimmicks", I will not dismiss OPs smoothies without more information.

Did you PM her yet? And what did she tell you.
  • emhunter
    Options

Did you PM her yet? And what did she tell you.

I am not sure if this is a serious question, but if we are communicating in a PM, I will/would not divulge that information. Nor will/would I tell you what we discussed.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Not that I want to disturb the circles we're going in, but I have a question. Everybody's giving advice. I started wondering how well some of that advice is working, so I clicked on a member's profile and found that it's closed to all but friends, unless her friends can't see it either. So I clicked on the next one and the one after that. I wound up going through the entire thread and can't find a single open profile. That can't be right, can it?

Has MFP changed the way people can access profiles? Or do we just happen to have a perfect collection of people who want to tell others what to do but don't want anyone to see how effective they themselves have been? I'm guessing it's the former.
This discussion has been closed.