10 day green smoothie cleanse

Options

Replies

• Proguy101
    Proguy101 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of a diet is getting started so what ever gets you going and motivated is really important even if it isn't the best way ... just my thoughts... so drink those smoothies:)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    Original poster, are you even following along anymore? With a lot of the comments you received, I'm wondering if you've either changed your mind and don't want to do your cleanse OR so turned off by your responses that you aren't reading.

There are some threads and groups about juicing that are helpful. Also feel free to send me a message if you want to chat about smoothies and juicing.

Whichever way you go, best luck with reaching your goals. :)

I'm going to hope for option 1, OP read the good advice of people in this thread that said that cleanses are unnecessary, and hopefully is working on setting reasonable calorie goals, finding ways to fit in a variety of foods she enjoys, and and starting to enjoy the benefits of this approach immediately rather than waiting till after Thanksgiving to implement a plan that is arbitrary and restrictive.

I'm feeling optimistic today. o:)
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nobody starts a thread and doesn't keep reading

Even flouncers keep reading

There are always exceptions. In addition, my first thread I started i forgot to check the responses. It's possible she's tuned out. So I ask because I don't like to assume or generalize.
  • emhunter
    Options
    Proguy101 wrote: »
    The hardest part of a diet is getting started so what ever gets you going and motivated is really important even if it isn't the best way ... just my thoughts... so drink those smoothies:)

Agreed!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Didn't see the op return.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Aani15 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Every detox post ends in a similar fashion.
    People who try to help, now, please make me understand how all that links and information works out for the posters?
    Even if OPs simply ignore it, like others, who eat whatever they want, citing that they watch their CICO, maintain a deficit, maintained their 'ideal BMI range weight', for 'x' number of years, enjoying variety of foods, no restriction on food groups.

and the funny thing is that we like to reach our goal the way we want but do not like a few terminologies even if when they are not being advertised as healthy at all. Who is getting benefitted from such posts and is it a way to show off your knowledge when it is not asked for or for other unknown reasons.

If all helpful people, really want to help, the only way I think of, is to sit down with those 'ops' into 'detox', 'sugar free life', 'low carb' people, and make them eat what 'helpful people' think would be beneficial for them. Is it feasible? Is it practical? are we adults? are we free to make our own choices?

Think!

Have no idea what you're trying to say.

My point was that you can put seat belts in the car but can't force the drivers to use it, drunk driving is prohibited but still you can't stop this practice, you can share all the good information regarding nutrition, but you can't force people to follow it, if they are simply not interested.

Just to make my replies relevant to this thread, I do not have an opinion on detoxes, same for eating out occasionally, drinking occasionally, smoking occasionally, etc. etc. etc.
    What people do with their weight loss strategy is none of my business.

So what you're saying is that no one should be bothered trying to help anyone on a forum dedicated to helping people. Gotcha.

Actually, just the opposite.
    Why wasting your precious time and energy on someone when they simply do not care.
    I see a lot of threads starting with or have this word in the topic, HELP!

So those people deserve this kind of effort and help.
    I hope you 'Gotcha' this time.

If it wasn't for people wasting their precious time telling me things that I didn't want to hear I'd still be obese. I would never have competed in bodybuilding competitions. I would never have set a world record for deadlift. I would be in the starve myself and binge eat cycle while taking the newest pills on the market or still trying to cut carbs completely or I would have given up.

That's why people sit here and tell people the truth about detoxes or let people know that cutting out carbs isn't absolutely necessary. The person who started the thread may not care, but others are out there reading and not posting. Someone out there is reading this thread and wondering if maybe they have been wrong for years. Someone out there is learning that the diet industry as a whole should be ashamed of itself.

Sometimes the people who feel they are trying to help should just let it go and offer to help if the person fails. Sometimes they should use different tactics. Sometimes they should realize that people need to fail or that dieting/fitness doesn't have to be black and white to their terms. I think it's great that people hear someone talking about doing a detox and want to share the truth about the word detox as a sales pitch and what it really means from a science perspective. Those are the kind of people that helped me be successful.

All above highlighted lines are in fact great points!
    I'm also among those people like you, who have been benefitted from MFP community.
    MFP website will become irrelevant without these helpful people, contributing so much to the boards and giving their precious time for newbies, no one can take it away from them. Because of this reason, I had started a thread to nominate people who deserved appreciation and acknowledgement, which was sadly closed.

But my point is that it is simply impossible to get everyone on the same page and it does not mean that helpful people should stop posting. But once it becomes apparent that OP does not care, they can give their precious time to other needy people, who will in fact thank and appreciate them. Every day, there are new threads created at MFP community, most of them seeking help.

And as long as people like @SideSteel, are the part of this community, no woo, shoo or poo can misguide anyone here. This community is blessed with so many wonderful people, contributing generously, for free. May God bless them all!

You missed my point that continuing to talk about why a detox can be harmful or trying to make sure that someone realizes that if their plan fails there are other methods isn't for the OP. Continuing a discussion is what a lot of lurkers, like I used to be, get points to research. If some guy hadn't stayed through a thread to tell a woman how to be more effective with her workouts I would still be out there trying to run as punishment for eating a slice of pizza. As long as people remain polite there is no need for them to leave a discussion even if the OP says they don't care.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Agreed!

I will have to disagree.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

sorry, but you are dead wrong. Believing that you have to have a jumpstart and cleanse is not going to put one on the path to long term sustainable weight loss.
  • emhunter
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

sorry, but you are dead wrong. Believing that you have to have a jumpstart and cleanse is not going to put one on the path to long term sustainable weight loss.

Not true. Believing you have a jumpstart DOES help some people get started and some of those people DO achieve long term sustainable weight loss. However they start does not mean it's how they finish. People are motivated by different things and respond differently to different scenarios. Blanket statements about people's responses and reactions that completely rule out other possible scenarios are not complete.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Not true. Believing you have a jumpstart DOES help some people get started and some of those people DO achieve long term sustainable weight loss. However they start does not mean it's how they finish. People are motivated by different things and respond differently to different scenarios. Blanket statements about people's responses and reactions that completely rule out other possible scenarios are not complete.

But saying a 10 day cleansing is a good way to start is giving the poster false hope. All the poster will get is disappointment when she starts eating regular meals. Cleansing toxins from your body is all part of the myth from diet hucksters.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

There are always exceptions. In addition, my first thread I started i forgot to check the responses. It's possible she's tuned out. So I ask because I don't like to assume or generalize.

Crazy idea, and I know I've said this before. . . . .message them. B-O-O-M.

• emhunter
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

But saying a 10 day cleansing is a good way to start is giving the poster false hope. All the poster will get is disappointment when she starts eating regular meals. Cleansing toxins from your body is all part of the myth from diet hucksters.

How is it false hope? Do you think that all of these people that start a cleanse believe that they don't have to do any work after they complete the cleanse? Many of them know that they will need to continue to consume less calories than they expend.
  • emhunter
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Crazy idea, and I know I've said this before. . . . .message them. B-O-O-M.

Sometimes I do message. This time I did not want to because there is the possibility that the OP is still following along and/or I want those reading the thread to see there are others with different views.
  • queenliz99
    Options

How is it false hope? Do you think that all of these people that start a cleanse believe that they don't have to do any work after they complete the cleanse? Many of them know that they will need to continue to consume less calories than they expend.

But it is false hope! Drinking smoothies leaves you famished and weak.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

My point was that you can put seat belts in the car but can't force the drivers to use it, drunk driving is prohibited but still you can't stop this practice, you can share all the good information regarding nutrition, but you can't force people to follow it, if they are simply not interested.

[/quote]

If "they're simply not interested", why are they starting a thread? That shows at least a modicum of doubt.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    A truly motivated person doesn't NEED a "detox/cleanse" to get started. If one is truly committed, they just start and do it right from the start. People that use gimmicks to start, usually quit in a short time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Most days I drink two smoothies, followed by dinner with soup and a half pound of chicken. It's not a "cleanse" though. It's food. Both smoothies are over 500 calories and are a nearly ideal (for me) mix of protein, carbs and fats. They're also good for probiotics with yogurt in one and kefir in the other. And they help me get in a good combination of micronutrients.

I've been on a "soup thing" for dinner lately. Both Progresso and Campbell's have reduced sodium chunky-style soups. I add in a half pound of chicken for additional protein. I try not to eat soup every night, but they're so convenient that I've been eating them 5 or 6 times a week.

Again, it's not a cleanse. A "cleanse" is marketing BS. You don't need a cleanse. Eating nutritious food is something you can do raw or cooked, blended or whole. There is nothing magical about a smoothie. If you put whole, non-processed foods into a blender, you get a nutritious smoothie. If you put pizza, beer and Twinkies into a blender, you get . . .

Hey wait, forget that last part. I think I just came up with an idea that could make me millions.
  • emhunter
    edited November 2015
    Options

But it is false hope! Drinking smoothies leaves you famished and weak.

How is that false hope? The claim with cleanses is that they will help you lose weight. The claims aren't that the weight you lose will mostly be fat and no water. They don't claim that they aren't difficult for some or that you magically lose 60 pounds in 10 days from it. Accordingly if you complete a cleanse, despite feeling weak or famished, and lose weight, there is no false hope.

IF you feel famished and weak that doesn't mean that you were given false hope. I'm not debating that some people could feel famished and weak, what im questioning is how that is false hope.

I'm also not debating whether it's the best way for many to lose weight or why one would chose to undergo a cleanse. Just trying to understand what the false hope is.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Regardless of whether they think they can return to their former diet or whether they think they will have to modify and eat at a calorie deficit, they are likely to see weight gain after the cleanse is over since a "cleanse" usually results in rapid loss of water weight. Even if they do segue into a modest calorie deficit they are likely to see scale rebound, and many get discouraged by that.

This is why people recommend not engaging in a cleanse in the first place, they are unnecessary, unpleasant, ineffective, and I'm not sure why someone would ever support one.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    But what does a cleanse actually do? It's mostly water weight not fat loss. Bingeing is the most likely outcome.
This discussion has been closed.