Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Not that I want to disturb the circles we're going in, but I have a question. Everybody's giving advice. I started wondering how well some of that advice is working, so I clicked on a member's profile and found that it's closed to all but friends, unless her friends can't see it either. So I clicked on the next one and the one after that. I wound up going through the entire thread and can't find a single open profile. That can't be right, can it?

Has MFP changed the way people can access profiles? Or do we just happen to have a perfect collection of people who want to tell others what to do but don't want anyone to see how effective they themselves have been? I'm guessing it's the former.

I see your information. Mine is open. Let me know.

Yowzers! It is open...and I like it. Dana Torres a local hero to quite a few swimmers here. I need to read no more. Okay, carry on people....

Now I'm blushing B)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    There is the usual imprecise post by members that recite incomplete and inaccurate characterizations of what actually happened.

Ok then, what actually happened?
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

There are no pros to cleansing because there is no such thing..

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Not that I want to disturb the circles we're going in, but I have a question. Everybody's giving advice. I started wondering how well some of that advice is working, so I clicked on a member's profile and found that it's closed to all but friends, unless her friends can't see it either. So I clicked on the next one and the one after that. I wound up going through the entire thread and can't find a single open profile. That can't be right, can it?

Has MFP changed the way people can access profiles? Or do we just happen to have a perfect collection of people who want to tell others what to do but don't want anyone to see how effective they themselves have been? I'm guessing it's the former.

my profile is only viewable by friends bc some on my friend list had their profile pictures taken off and posted in the forums in a not so flattering way ..since then my profile has been locked down.

I fail to see how having a closed profile impacts advice being given...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.

you can't debate it because it is non debatable..

again, you can't debate something that does not exist….
  • ndj1979
    Options

A "cleanse" as OP is describing as absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. YOu can "cleanse" eat in a surplus, and you will lose zero weight.

weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out
  • emhunter
    Options

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.

please list the pros of doing something that does not exist...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There is the usual imprecise post Which post is imprecise and how?

by members that recite incomplete and inaccurate characterizations of what actually happened.
    What was recited in an incomplete and inaccurate manner?

I'm sorry, I can't pick out which of the posts you are referring to.
  • emhunter
    Options

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Plus the bounce back effect when they switch to a normal deficit convinces many that 'this doesn't work, I might as well quit.' Which is why yo yo dieting is so prevalent. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

That's wrong @blankiefinder

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him to use google and he'll leave you alone for 3 weeks.

:)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

So you are saying that it is fine to just let the op believe she is "Cleansing" because the cleanse will be less calories than her normal diet?

Then why is it wrong to say to eat anything you like that is less calories? That is all that people are saying, eat anything you like but less calories.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Eating burgers and fries is a better idea than thinking a green smoothie is the path to health.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Eating burgers and fries is a better idea than thinking a green smoothie is the path to health.

I'll second that with a craft beer, FTW!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

By your own standard, no one should heed what you say.
    enc168dewj7r.png

Or MFP is broken again. That's entirely possible. Likely, even.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

By your own standard, no one should heed what you say.
    enc168dewj7r.png

oh so busted….
  • emhunter
    Options

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I can see most people's profiles *shrugs*
  • queenliz99
    Options

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.

So you are know all and the rest of us are assuming. Wow if that don't take the cake.
This discussion has been closed.