emhunter wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Drinking smoothies does not mean you are getting 1200 cals. You could die from not getting enough calories. There could be harm.

True. No one ever said that people couldn't do harmful things while drinking smoothies. My point is that drinking smoothies can be done without "starving" and therefor to automatically dismiss them as an option for SOME people to start their weight loss goals is over broad and unnecessary.

And to automatically support & encourage them is dangerous.

True. Don't think we have seen it on this thread. I personally said I'd discuss juicing in a PM.

Good idea because threads like these are hard to give good advice regarding drinking smoothies because they are not needed for weight loss.

I don't think anyone said smoothies are needed. But if done in a healthy way, nothing wrong with them to jumpstart a weight loss journey. I'd also talk to the OP about this too should they want to.

But why head down a completely unnecessary path that has a high chance of either harm or setback? It's actually doing folks a favor to say "jumpstart" methods to weight loss usually backfire and aren't needed.

It's not unnecessary for some people to do things like this to get themselves started. I've already said that if you have realistic expectations of what the gimmick will do, you are aware of the pros and cons, and you do it in a healthy way, they then it's not a bad idea.

I used a "gimmick" to start my journey years ago. I have been consistently logging and exercising. I've maintained my loss. Since I'm aware success comes for some with the various "gimmicks", I will not dismiss OPs smoothies without more information.

Did you PM her yet? And what did she tell you.

I am not sure if this is a serious question, but if we are communicating in a PM, I will/would not divulge that information. Nor will/would I tell you what we discussed.

I actually don't really care, I was just wondering if you did because you keep going on about this. Just curious.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Not that I want to disturb the circles we're going in, but I have a question. Everybody's giving advice. I started wondering how well some of that advice is working, so I clicked on a member's profile and found that it's closed to all but friends, unless her friends can't see it either. So I clicked on the next one and the one after that. I wound up going through the entire thread and can't find a single open profile. That can't be right, can it?

Has MFP changed the way people can access profiles? Or do we just happen to have a perfect collection of people who want to tell others what to do but don't want anyone to see how effective they themselves have been? I'm guessing it's the former.

I see your information. Mine is open. Let me know.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Queen, for you I get "This user's feed is private," the same message I get for everyone else.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Not that I want to disturb the circles we're going in, but I have a question. Everybody's giving advice. I started wondering how well some of that advice is working, so I clicked on a member's profile and found that it's closed to all but friends, unless her friends can't see it either. So I clicked on the next one and the one after that. I wound up going through the entire thread and can't find a single open profile. That can't be right, can it?

Has MFP changed the way people can access profiles? Or do we just happen to have a perfect collection of people who want to tell others what to do but don't want anyone to see how effective they themselves have been? I'm guessing it's the former.

It's possible. You can have a closed and private profile and their or friends can be the same way.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

If you are using the app, and maybe only certain platforms, I think that is a known glitch they are working on. I think from a PC you can see if someone truly does have an open profile/feed/diary.

Not sure if I'm one you tried to look at but no secrets here. I've been here for just over 1000 days, lost the 30 lbs I set out to lose and am currently maintaining. No jumpstart or cleanse, I just started doing what I needed to do but had put off for a long time. Figure out a reasonable deficit, track everything I eat, try to add more nutrient dense options, exercise regularly, move more daily, and keep eating the foods I like in moderation.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Drinking smoothies does not mean you are getting 1200 cals. You could die from not getting enough calories. There could be harm.

True. No one ever said that people couldn't do harmful things while drinking smoothies. My point is that drinking smoothies can be done without "starving" and therefor to automatically dismiss them as an option for SOME people to start their weight loss goals is over broad and unnecessary.

And to automatically support & encourage them is dangerous.

True. Don't think we have seen it on this thread. I personally said I'd discuss juicing in a PM.

Good idea because threads like these are hard to give good advice regarding drinking smoothies because they are not needed for weight loss.

I don't think anyone said smoothies are needed. But if done in a healthy way, nothing wrong with them to jumpstart a weight loss journey. I'd also talk to the OP about this too should they want to.

But why head down a completely unnecessary path that has a high chance of either harm or setback? It's actually doing folks a favor to say "jumpstart" methods to weight loss usually backfire and aren't needed.

I will not dismiss OPs smoothies without more information.

What further information would you like that isn't available online? Before I commented on this cleanse I googled the cleanse and the person that pushes/sells it.

JJ Virgin, (no idea if that is her real name or not) claims that we are only over weight due to food intolerances. No need to take personal responsibility for over eating or any thing.

She claims to be trained in all sorts of things yet has no real credentials.

Each book or diet she comes up with contradicts the previous one. First one says it takes a minimum of 21 days to cleanse you of the high FI foods, now this one is only 10 days.

One man she created a diet plan for was put on just 1100 calories.

http://thedamienzone.com/2010/07/07/nutraceutical-and-macrobiotic-are-fake-words-the-unhappy-truth-about-people-like-jj-virgin-and-her-medical-degrees-and-the-fraud-that-is-called-holistic-medicine/

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Blogs/CelebrityDiagnosis/36896

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

If you are using the app, and maybe only certain platforms, I think that is a known glitch they are working on. I think from a PC you can see if someone truly does have an open profile/feed/diary.

Not sure if I'm one you tried to look at but no secrets here. I've been here for just over 1000 days, lost the 30 lbs I set out to lose and am currently maintaining. No jumpstart or cleanse, I just started doing what I needed to do but had put off for a long time. Figure out a reasonable deficit, track everything I eat, try to add more nutrient dense options, exercise regularly, move more daily, and keep eating the foods I like in moderation.

Thanks, that was it. I was on my iPhone. Now I'm back on my computer and I can see profiles again. But the urge passed. I think I'll shovel the driveway rather than seeing how well people's advice match up to their actual results. (Although it looks like it's working for you.)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

My profile is open & always has been.

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

If it wasn't for people wasting their precious time telling me things that I didn't want to hear I'd still be obese. I would never have competed in bodybuilding competitions. I would never have set a world record for deadlift. I would be in the starve myself and binge eat cycle while taking the newest pills on the market or still trying to cut carbs completely or I would have given up.

That's why people sit here and tell people the truth about detoxes or let people know that cutting out carbs isn't absolutely necessary. The person who started the thread may not care, but others are out there reading and not posting. Someone out there is reading this thread and wondering if maybe they have been wrong for years. Someone out there is learning that the diet industry as a whole should be ashamed of itself.

Sometimes the people who feel they are trying to help should just let it go and offer to help if the person fails. Sometimes they should use different tactics. Sometimes they should realize that people need to fail or that dieting/fitness doesn't have to be black and white to their terms. I think it's great that people hear someone talking about doing a detox and want to share the truth about the word detox as a sales pitch and what it really means from a science perspective. Those are the kind of people that helped me be successful.

Thank you @usmcmp
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I believe mine is open as well, but yes, there are some who keep theirs closed. I don't see the point what with Google and all...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    This thread follows a worn out pattern . the OP sspecifically about a "cleanse" and gets answers based on that wording. It then devolved into people supporting things not inquired about by the OP complete with the usual requests to PM for support on this unnecessary juicing tactic.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options

Yes, that.

ashley wrote:
    I have done it before
    So it didn't work, yet you're going to do it again and hope that it works this time??? :confused:
    What are you doing differently.

And are you going to keep doing this "cleanse" the rest of your life?
    If not, how are you going to avoid regaining the weight (if you actually lose anything more than water)?

What did your doctor say about your plan?

OP wrote:
    I wasn't asking for an opinion. I don't need that. You can keep scrolling to other discussion groups this was specifically for people INTERESTED not posting your opinions. Sry I can care less how or what you feel about a detox.
    So you do care about other peoples' opinions. We figured that out on our own. If you didn't you wouldn't
    have posted in a public forum. You would have searched the groups for a private "juice cleanse" group,
    or you would have searched posts in the public message boards for other similarly misinformed people
    and messaged them privately.

Since you've posted in a public forum, you're going to get comments from anyone with an opinion.
    And since most people have the brains god gave a kumquat, we're going to tell you not to do stupid stuff
    with your health / diet. Eat sensibly, eat less than your body needs to run, and you will lose weight...
    and be healthy while you're doing it.

What you eat matters to health, so eat a wide variety of foods, food groups, colors of veggies & fruits.

How much you eat controls what you weigh.
    If your body needs 1800 cal/day to run, and you eat 2000, you will gain weight.
    If you eat 1600, you will lose weight.
    It matters not a bit whether those calories come from twinkies or broccoli, other than that eating high-fat
    &/or high-sugar foods will run up calories without sating you, so you'll be miserably hungry long before
    you run out of calories (likely to overeat). Eating lower on the food chain, more natural, less processed,
    tends to also mean that you're eating lower fat & higher fiber. Fiber helps you feel full sooner & longer.
    I looked it up once, and IIRC it takes something like 5 pounds of carrots to equal the calories in 2 Big Macs.
    Could you even eat 5 lb of carrots in a day??

Exercise improves health. Weightlifting in particular improves your appearance & daily function.

Not that I'd know what I'm talking about...

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Instead of juicing / blending pounds of produce to get your shakes every day,
    how about just eating the food?
    I bet you'll get full long before you can eat it all (in solid form).

And if this "cleanse" requires that you buy something, count up how much you spend & how much normal food
    you could buy with that money. Compare the calories per dollar.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    mccindy wrote:
    IN for a good round of spicy bloody maries. Marys? Maries? Howinell do you spell that in plural?
    Marys.
    But is there some saying for that like there is for tequila?
    (One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.)

• MKEgal
    Options
    processed foods are poison to your system. I just eliminated them... my body feels better without the extra chemicals, ingredients etc.
    Please read this:
    http://io9.com/what-if-natural-products-came-with-a-list-of-ingredient-1503320184

Everything has 'chemicals'.
    Everything can be scary-sounding.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Are you asking to peek under the hood?!? Okay, send me a FR, I'll let you wonder around my wall. Nothing earth shattering...and not the former....and effective is relative to the individual and their goals. But if you'd like a peek just ask.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

There are no pros to cleansing because there is no such thing..

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

I see your information. Mine is open. Let me know.

Yowzers! It is open...and I like it. Dana Torres a local hero to quite a few swimmers here. I need to read no more. Okay, carry on people....
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    There is the usual imprecise post by members that recite incomplete and inaccurate characterizations of what actually happened.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    ndj wrote:
    There are no pros to cleansing because there is no such thing.
    Unless someone is having a colonoscopy. :anguished:
    Or taking a shower.
This discussion has been closed.