0 calorie snacks

Options
124»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @ashlyndeff welcome to the MFP forums. While celery can effectively have negative calories per the article do read at the end one reason that cause us to have cravings and the bit about sea salt.

naturalnews.com/030912_negative-calorie_foods_burn_fat.html

Best of success.

Wow OP ...of all the ridiculous stuff that is just the most ridiculous

^ Cosign. Absolutely, positively NO such thing as negative calorie foods. It's physically impossible. Ignore the above advice and the linked article, 100% junk science.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    Walden Farms chocolate spread is *apparently* zero calorie. As is their coffee creamer.
    I am highly suspicious about this, but having tried the coffee creamer I would also rather eat nothing than just that.

I think companies can call something "zero calorie" if it has less than 5 calories per serving, but I might be mistaken.

Yep. And a 'serving' can be whatever they want it to be.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ^ Cosign. Absolutely, positively NO such thing as negative calorie foods. It's physically impossible. Ignore the above advice and the linked article, 100% junk science.

Terrifyingly bad science in that article, particularly the end bit about salt, which is laughable.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can't believe people still believe in negative calorie foods. May as well believe in Unicorns.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly
    Seafood sticks
    Cottage cheese with celery
    Carrot sticks
    Pickled onions
    Pickled any thing veg type
    A huge bowl of salad leaves with a few pickles chopped up through it as the dressing
    Sugar free boiled sweets- I love the Sula brand
    A pkt of garbanzo- only 88 calories
    A Pkt of Quavers- Around 90 calories

No zero calories I'm afraid but most of these are under 50 calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    choppie70 wrote: »
    ebouchie wrote: »
    I had a friend once that would munch on ice cubes to curb her crunch craving without calories. I like to chew gum when my mouth feels like eating but I'm not hungry (if that makes sense).

Crunching on ice cubes can be a sign of anemia.

Or it can just a way of tricking your mind into thinking it is eating. And getting water at same time. If you uncontrollably chew ice without a good reason for doing so then yeah, it might be because you have low iron. But if you are doing it consciously what's the harm? I like adding crushed ice to my water for that reason. Those small bits won't damage my teeth and it helps me overcoming the craving to just eat something.

I have a coworker who was hospitalized recently. She had severe anemia. She was trying to lose weight and was eating ice cubes to help her urge to chew. She was not "uncontrollably" chewing the ice, she did it consciously, but she didn't recognize that it was an urge. She mistook the urge for ice as an urge to chew. Although the cause/effect here is unclear, it shows how the line between "I am doing this on purpose" and "I am craving this " can be blurred.

What's the harm?

The ADA also does not recommend chewing ice, even smaller pieces but melting ice slivers in your mouth. They recommend chewing baby carrots or apple slices, or chewing sugar free gum over chewing ice. There are lots of articles about the dangers of chewing ice which include: wearing down enamel, increasing sensitivity to hot and cold, making teeth more vulnerable to decay, plus the damage it can cause to any dental work.
    ebouchie wrote: »
    I had a friend once that would munch on ice cubes to curb her crunch craving without calories. I like to chew gum when my mouth feels like eating but I'm not hungry (if that makes sense).

Crunching on ice cubes can be a sign of anemia.

Or it can just a way of tricking your mind into thinking it is eating. And getting water at same time. If you uncontrollably chew ice without a good reason for doing so then yeah, it might be because you have low iron. But if you are doing it consciously what's the harm? I like adding crushed ice to my water for that reason. Those small bits won't damage my teeth and it helps me overcoming the craving to just eat something.

I have a coworker who was hospitalized recently. She had severe anemia. She was trying to lose weight and was eating ice cubes to help her urge to chew. She was not "uncontrollably" chewing the ice, she did it consciously, but she didn't recognize that it was an urge. She mistook the urge for ice as an urge to chew. Although the cause/effect here is unclear, it shows how the line between "I am doing this on purpose" and "I am craving this " can be blurred.

What's the harm?

The ADA also does not recommend chewing ice, even smaller pieces but melting ice slivers in your mouth. They recommend chewing baby carrots or apple slices, or chewing sugar free gum over chewing ice. There are lots of articles about the dangers of chewing ice which include: wearing down enamel, increasing sensitivity to hot and cold, making teeth more vulnerable to decay, plus the damage it can cause to any dental work.

Danger? I was expecting the list of dangers to be more extreme then that.

Soda does the same thing, even food. Everything is a danger lol even ice cubes now.

Good dental health is important. Not sure why you are so worked up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    chewing ice is also super annoying to anyone near you. just saying

veggies are low calorie
    fruits are not so much but berries are pretty low and have fiber to help you fill full
    I save calories for ice cream. I think tonight I might have eggnog gelato
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Gum has calories too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    @ashlyndeff welcome to the MFP forums. While celery can effectively have negative calories per the article do read at the end one reason that cause us to have cravings and the bit about sea salt.

Best of success.

Wow OP ...of all the ridiculous stuff that is just the most ridiculous

@AnvilHead you and the article are correct that is NO real food item that does not contain calories. Effectively having negative calories is explained in the article as is the craving for calories when it may only be a craving for minerals.

@ashlyndeff was only asking for items other than celery that she could eat after dinner that was filling and low in calories. The article offers some suggestions.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Best of success.

yeah, no. Foods do not have "Negative calories"
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Best of success.

yeah, no. Foods do not have "Negative calories"

Unless, of course, it's spoiled and is coming back up.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Celery has calories

Dust?

That made me LOL!

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    When you find it let me know. No such thing. H2O is it.