Water
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ice cubes.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I rely on baby dills and popcorn, but I try to keep 100-200 calories for the end of the day just in case.
    I find when I really go all out with water through the day though, it curbs my nighttime snack inclination.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Ice.
    A piece of chewing gum.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ice.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    Some low calories choices I like are cucumber slices, dill pickles, and radishes. They aren't 0 calories, but they aren't much.

La Zuppa also has a very low cal lentil soup. The serving is small, but apparently it is only 26 cal. I usually add it to my lunchtime chicken, rice and veg for a different flavour.
    http://www.lazuppa.com.au/la-zuppa/less-than-100-calories/lentil-soup
  • ceva034
    ceva034 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly is a good thing to have in your fridge in my opinion if you are fond of late night snacking. You can eat a lot for very few calories. Also things such as air popped popcorn, again you get a decent volume for low calories.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    My other half and I always joke that if we have a bit of the others food, that it's a zero calorie bite.
    So just eat your friends food.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My other half and I always joke that if we have a bit of the others food, that it's a zero calorie bite.
    So just eat your friends food.

That's not zero calorie, that's just that the calories belong to your other half

*nods*

Also if you eat a biscuit but break it in two .. calorie leakage
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    and if nobody sees you eat it - doesn't count
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had a friend once that would munch on ice cubes to curb her crunch craving without calories. I like to chew gum when my mouth feels like eating but I'm not hungry (if that makes sense).

Crunching on ice cubes can be a sign of anemia.
  • James00020
    James00020 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ashlyndeff wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions besides celery for a zero or low calorie snack to feel full? Especially at night after dinner, this is when I get most of my cravings!

Every food has calories so if it's hunger your trying to overcome then I suggest you drink lots of water.
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I had a friend once that would munch on ice cubes to curb her crunch craving without calories. I like to chew gum when my mouth feels like eating but I'm not hungry (if that makes sense).

Or it can just a way of tricking your mind into thinking it is eating. And getting water at same time. If you uncontrollably chew ice without a good reason for doing so then yeah, it might be because you have low iron. But if you are doing it consciously what's the harm? I like adding crushed ice to my water for that reason. Those small bits won't damage my teeth and it helps me overcoming the craving to just eat something.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    ebouchie wrote: »

Or it can just a way of tricking your mind into thinking it is eating. And getting water at same time. If you uncontrollably chew ice without a good reason for doing so then yeah, it might be because you have low iron. But if you are doing it consciously what's the harm? I like adding crushed ice to my water for that reason. Those small bits won't damage my teeth and it helps me overcoming the craving to just eat something.

I have a coworker who was hospitalized recently. She had severe anemia. She was trying to lose weight and was eating ice cubes to help her urge to chew. She was not "uncontrollably" chewing the ice, she did it consciously, but she didn't recognize that it was an urge. She mistook the urge for ice as an urge to chew. Although the cause/effect here is unclear, it shows how the line between "I am doing this on purpose" and "I am craving this " can be blurred.

What's the harm?

The ADA also does not recommend chewing ice, even smaller pieces but melting ice slivers in your mouth. They recommend chewing baby carrots or apple slices, or chewing sugar free gum over chewing ice. There are lots of articles about the dangers of chewing ice which include: wearing down enamel, increasing sensitivity to hot and cold, making teeth more vulnerable to decay, plus the damage it can cause to any dental work.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    While they still have calories (even if the jar says otherwise), my go to when I'm very limited on calories is pickles. NOW, they are FULL of sodium. So they may affect the scale if you are a daily weigher. I'm not, weekly here, so I rarely see water weight.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms chocolate spread is *apparently* zero calorie. As is their coffee creamer.
    I am highly suspicious about this, but having tried the coffee creamer I would also rather eat nothing than just that.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If there IS such thing as zero calorie snacks, I can't imagine them being in the LEAST bit fulfilling!
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ebouchie wrote: »

Really? I wish my food cravings could be squashed chewing water; I hate to sound like a skeptic but it sounds as useful as keeping a straw in my mouth to beat smoking.
    Maybe it's because its the comfort of feeling full that I'm looking for, not just chewing.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I was thinking maybe she meant Zero Points food, like in Weight Watchers? LOL. If there is a true zero calorie food I'd like to know! ha ha