Help! I'm gaining weight with diet and exercise!

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Folks,

Perhaps we should stop feeding the troll (since it won't make any difference due to all the power-walking) and go back to trying to help the OP (who hasn't been back in a couple pages). What we can do is provide solid information about CICO and the impact exercise has on fitness so OP and people stumbling into the thread don't buy into one person's recipe for success as generalizable results for all. :blush:
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What exercises are you doing? It would very likely be that you are putting on more muscle. Remember muscle weighs a LOT more than fat (mostly because muscle has more water in it, and water is heavy), so even if you put on a small amount of muscle, and lost a fair amount of fat, you can end up weighing more.

I also find that people who exercise drink more water, which again, will make you weigh more (hence you should only ever weigh yourself first thing in the morning when you have little fluids in your body).

Ignoring the weight, how do you look? Is your fav pair of jeans tighter or looser? You might find that if you go by the measurements of how your clothes fit, you are in fact thinner, even though you weigh more.

Other than that, people fastly underestimate the amount of calories they consume. We tend to forget to log the 1 biscuit we ate at a colleague's desk at work, or the 2tablespoons of olive oil over our salad, or the sugar in our coffee/tea.

No you don't put on muscle in a defecit unless under specific circumstances and certainly not in that time frame or as a woman..I really wish it was that easy

Drinking more makes you less water retentive not more, when you are dehydrated your water weight will go up

so, according to you, the OP has gained weight because is not in a deficit, but hasn't gained muscles because she is in a deficit?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nm
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? It would very likely be that you are putting on more muscle. Remember muscle weighs a LOT more than fat (mostly because muscle has more water in it, and water is heavy), so even if you put on a small amount of muscle, and lost a fair amount of fat, you can end up weighing more.

I also find that people who exercise drink more water, which again, will make you weigh more (hence you should only ever weigh yourself first thing in the morning when you have little fluids in your body).

Ignoring the weight, how do you look? Is your fav pair of jeans tighter or looser? You might find that if you go by the measurements of how your clothes fit, you are in fact thinner, even though you weigh more.

Other than that, people fastly underestimate the amount of calories they consume. We tend to forget to log the 1 biscuit we ate at a colleague's desk at work, or the 2tablespoons of olive oil over our salad, or the sugar in our coffee/tea.

No you don't put on muscle in a defecit unless under specific circumstances and certainly not in that time frame or as a woman..I really wish it was that easy

Drinking more makes you less water retentive not more, when you are dehydrated your water weight will go up

so, according to you, the OP has gained weight because is not in a deficit, but hasn't gained muscles because she is in a deficit?

No ..and I shall ignore your sniping and answer that actually it's according to physics:

people gain weight when they are not in defecit and

people find it difficult to gain muscle when they are in defecit (catabolic) ...there are small exceptions, teen boys, new lifters but it doesn't belie the basic premise that muscle is created with a whole lot of work and focus ..not by accident and not in a defecit

• Gianfranco_R
    Options

No ..and I shall ignore your sniping and answer that actually it's according to physics:

people find it difficult to gain muscle when they are in defecit (catabolic) ...there are small exceptions, teen boys, new lifters but it doesn't belie the basic premise that muscle is created with a whole lot of work and focus ..not by accident and not in a defecit

Didn't you write upthread: If you have gained 5lbs in 8 weeks you have logging issues and are eating more than you're burning by around 300 calories a day?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

Ah, btw, sorry to bother you, just another question: are you sure that physics laws have "exceptions"?

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Well the human body is a bizarre and complex organism - and there are of course other complex factors in play that may result in under certain circumstances such that in teen boys and new lifters the energy must be taken from elsewhere which means that biologically these exceptions occur - do I believe that it belies the over-riding concept that to create matter you require energy - no I don't believe it does.

Do I know why it occurs? no .. but then unlike some I don't profess to know everything. Even those whose knowledge is far superior to mine don't seem to know either .. it's some kind of magic as @stroutman81 once said

It is however generally recognised that building muscle requires progressive resistance work, adequate protein (you know the building blocks of cell repair) and adequate calories - it takes focus - it is slow-going, it doesn't happen quickly, particularly not for women

What is your contention? Would you like to discuss what you believe to be true? And why? Or are you just trying to make a point by not making any points at all

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Just as an aside - I am unwell and pmting so I may well be reading your comments are far more snarky than meant - if so I apologise

Didn't you write upthread: If you have gained 5lbs in 8 weeks you have logging issues and are eating more than you're burning by around 300 calories a day?

Why yes, yes I did :)

But this isn't about the OP and her specific issue - which I believe was inaccurate logging as she did say she was getting a scale

This was a response to someone up thread saying you've put on muscle and muscle weighs more than fat

putting on muscle takes a concerted effort and focus - do you believe otherwise? What is your position on this?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Ah, btw, sorry to bother you, just another question: are you sure that physics laws have "exceptions"?

Jesus. You're not putting on muscle in a deficit because the act of putting on muscle would increase your deficit further and your body doesn't want that. The exceptions are out of necessity where your body has no choice but to grudgingly build some muscle as a response to suddenly having to go from 0 muscle work to the limit.

If you're storing energy as muscle, that energy is missing for your other bodily functions, increasing your deficit and your weight loss. So if you're in a 1 pound per week deficit and think you're gaining 1 pound of muscle that masks it, your deficit wouldn't be 1 pound per week anymore but higher from the energy that gets stored in the muscle and the energy required to build that muscle, you'd still lose weight, no masking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

no where ddid OP indicate that she is involved in a progressive lifting program and even if OP was it is highly doubtful she would put on 8 pounds of muscle in 8 weeks…

not sure why that is so hard to understand.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wow. You know, it's funny how everyone else here is a bully, but you've made a ton of loaded statements in this thread and have swatted down any other ideas shared by anyone else. You've asserted the following:
    1. The best way to achieve weight loss is by power walking each day. Other exercise is fine, including muscular work twice per week, but power walking is king.
    2. That calorie counting is disordered and useless. You've disregarded the basic science of the human body which is that you lose weight by consuming less calories than you burn. This is done by decreasing one's food intake and/or creating a calorie deficit by form of exercise including power walking.
    3. That weighing your food is disordered and useless. You've disregarded everyone else's experience and based it all on your own. Guess what? As a man who is heavier and taller than most women, you get to eat more calories per day than women do. This is why most people have the notion that men lose weight at a faster rate than women. You do not have to put in as much of an effort to lose weight in that sense.
    4. That CICO is a made up term. It's science, not a made up term. Really?
    5. That anyone who calorie counts and/or weighs food will fail. Then you wonder why a bunch of people who have been successful using the following methods get upset with you for saying they are all wrong and only you are right? You are posting on a site where an integral part of it is calorie counting. It baffles me that people have to defend their position with you on this.

Sorry, but everyone has different levels of fitness and goals. Your non-calorie counting, power walking method will not work for me. I am only 5'3" and I weigh 116 pounds. I'm already beyond a healthy weight for my height. My goals are to lower my bodyfat percentage and then build muscle. My eating and logging require the utmost precision calorie and macro wise. I'm not going to get that all done by power walking. I lift weights three days per week, do cardio two days per week, do interval training once per week, and I get over 10,000 steps daily, so activity is a non-issue for me. We all have different methods and opinions and that's great, but would I tell someone they have to do every single thing I'm doing and disregard every other method? No. That's the difference between us.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Folks,

Perhaps we should stop feeding the troll (since it won't make any difference due to all the power-walking) and go back to trying to help the OP (who hasn't been back in a couple pages). What we can do is provide solid information about CICO and the impact exercise has on fitness so OP and people stumbling into the thread don't buy into one person's recipe for success as generalizable results for all. :blush:

There is no need to try and moderate the discussion. People will share what they share, and then we will all discuss. That's what an interent forum iis all about.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    OP just way all your food, count and log it.
    And by weighing i mean....weighing! Not measuring anything even serving sizes, cups and spoons forget them.

create a deficit and you will lose weight ( eyeballing food works only for some people )

Than exercise helps a lot to get fit But is not necessary needed for weight loss. Of course it is better for overall health

But start weighing your food you eat more calories than you think...you are gaining

that is all there is to it.

Yes. Follow this advice and replace one bad habit with another.

Just sit on the couch and weigh your food. Make sure you get an accurate scale too cause you're going to need every gram of food. Then when you starve yourself long enough you will start binging, and most likely put more weight on than you started with.

But don't worry, you can always start over.

and over... and over... and over...

Or... You can follow my advice, and do it the right way.

You will feel better, look better, and be better. And you will most likely never have to worry about your weight, because you will be healthy as a whole, and not just a half.

The statement I have put in bold unsettles me, really unsettles me.....and when someone says to follow their advice and do it the right way, turn and run the other way.

The only thing required for weight loss is the calorie deficit, but there really is no right way to get there. How you get there is indiviudal.
  • SLLRunner
    edited November 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If that is not how it generally works, then maybe that is why most people fail, and it worked for me because I put the work in to get the result.

I think many people make it much more complicated than it needs to be. I also think many people just don't want to put the work in. Lets face it. Its very strenuous and uncomfortable to exercise, and many people do not want to do it. But once you make it a habit, and once you reach a healthy weight and good fitness level, its not that hard to maintain it. The hardest part is getting to that level.

It's really pretty simple.

if you are not active enough and eat too much you will be over weight.

if you are active enough and don't eat too much you will not be over weight.

But many people who are already over weight do not want to go through the discomfort of activity. So what do they do? They turn to weighing food, counting calories, and starving themselves. IMO, that is just replacing one bad habit with another.

What I have bolded above are not untrue statements.

They are equally true when edited as such:

if you are not active enough and eat too much you will be over weight.

if you are active enough and don't eat too much you will not be over weight.

Exercise can increase the deficit, but you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. People who can't/don't want to exercise are certainly losing out on other benefits, but they're still perfectly capable of losing weight. Exercise isn't the determining factor in weight loss; calorie deficit is. How that deficit is created is up to the individual.

It's an important distinction because there are people who think they can eat as much as they want as long as they're exercising, which is far from the truth.

Do you even realize that you crossed out parts of what I said, and then said pretty much the exact same thing but in different words?

Don't you realise that the editing is the point ...the activity means little, the food intake lots

That's the point everyone is making
    " It's an important distinction because there are people who think they can eat as much as they want as long as they're exercising, which is far from the truth."

On the flip side there are people who think that if they don't exercise, they will never be able to lose weight, because they don't think they consume that many calories. Without weighing and counting calories this side of the equation is unbalanced.

Good point!

It stems from an argument with a former friend who insists he doesn't eat much. Chocolate bars, chips, ice cream, and regular soda are not volume foods, but wow those calories add up when they are all consumed on a daily basis. He insists that he could lose weight if he would work out every day. He might, but it would be beneficial to balance the CI part of the equation.

I used to think I could eat whatever I want and lose but I never could. Those last 20 pounds never went away. I was a fitness instructor for many years. I was fit but overweight. Until I understood how essential accurate calorie counting was I never lost. Along comes MFP which made it crazy easy to count, I finally lost those pounds. You cannot out exercise over eating.

This! 1,000 times this!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Isn't ballparking calories how many of us got here anyway? I'd rather be sure I'm eating the amount I am.

not how I got here.

I got here by decreasing my activity level to near zero for about 20 years. Never really changed my eating habits.

I am simply reversing it by increasing my activity and eating a little smarter (ball parking).

I have a similar experience with weight and activity level - when I have an active job and lifestyle, I'm at a healthy weight. When I have a desk job, I have problems. Seems like I unconsciously want to eat the same amount of calories regardless of activity level, so I have to do some combination of eating less/moving more when I have a desk job.

I like using MFP to log what I eat because I like the mindfulness this brings.

I also like the concept of earning exercise calories as this motivates me to exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    OP just way all your food, count and log it.
    And by weighing i mean....weighing! Not measuring anything even serving sizes, cups and spoons forget them.

create a deficit and you will lose weight ( eyeballing food works only for some people )

Than exercise helps a lot to get fit But is not necessary needed for weight loss. Of course it is better for overall health

But start weighing your food you eat more calories than you think...you are gaining

that is all there is to it.

Yes. Follow this advice and replace one bad habit with another.

Just sit on the couch and weigh your food. Make sure you get an accurate scale too cause you're going to need every gram of food. Then when you starve yourself long enough you will start binging, and most likely put more weight on than you started with.

But don't worry, you can always start over.

and over... and over... and over...

Or... You can follow my advice, and do it the right way.

You will feel better, look better, and be better. And you will most likely never have to worry about your weight, because you will be healthy as a whole, and not just a half.

The statement I have put in bold unsettles me, really unsettles me.....and when someone says to follow their advice and do it the right way, turn and run the other way.

The only thing required for weight loss is the calorie deficit, but there really is no right way to get there. How you get there is indiviudal.

It really unsettles me too

And I agree with your summary

The only thing required for weight loss is the calorie deficit, but there really is no right way to get there. How you get there is individual.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    +100 on the individuality thing.

When I exercise, a lot of times it suppresses my appetite. I would never presume that happens for *everybody*. It doesn't even happen every time for me.

What stays the same? That a caloric deficit will result in weight loss.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The only thing required for weight loss is the calorie deficit, but there really is no right way to get there. How you get there is individual.

I must've been bad and crossed a line or something because my post is gone. But...yes, this.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Isn't ballparking calories how many of us got here anyway? I'd rather be sure I'm eating the amount I am.

not how I got here.

I got here by decreasing my activity level to near zero for about 20 years. Never really changed my eating habits.

I am simply reversing it by increasing my activity and eating a little smarter (ball parking).

My husband is able to lose weight fairly easily as well without much thought. I gain weight when I go at it without much thought. Excercise helps me but not enough. Good for you for being like my husband and having it easy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I must've been bad and crossed a line or something because my post is gone. But...yes, this.

Sorry about that! I had to clean up the thread and ended up deleting instead of editing a few that quoted things. It was nothing personal, just a noob mod making messes :)