Do you count the calories in fruits and vegtables?

Options
Hi MFP Community,

So, I was just wondering what others think of this idea. It's not my own. I've done some research and I have friends who count everything, don't count veggies and some who don't count either. One girlfriend specifically only counts starchy vegetables and fruit that are not berries (I like this idea). All of which with varying success, however in most cases (possibly where they are honest with themselves) they have been successful at losing weight.

Here's what I'm thinking, using the later example.

Pros:
1. I can consume vegetables (or non starchy ones) and fruits (the berries!) without limitation. Very encouraging for healthy food selection.
2. I can add some extra (and filling) oomph to a dish; like spinach and peppers in an omelet or extra lettuce, tomato's or cucumbers in a salad. Whats unhealthy about a lil' extra veggie?
3. I will pick fruit and veggies as a snack since i won't feel guilty about it.
4. For my specific calorie goal, I try to consume 1200 calories a day/base. It's had to get healthy, protein and good fat packed foods in and still have room for all those other wonderfully healthy foods. At 1200 calories, every calorie counts. So that onion and garlic that I love to saute in coconut oil (I would of course count the oil calories) with my chicken, just doesn't make the cut. :neutral:
5. Extra fiber! :+1:

Cons:
2. I will be over the "1200 calorie" mark, most certainly.

I think, overall It's not at all a bad idea and would be very encouraging to keep on track and gives me room to snack when I'm hungry, on healthy things. It would help me keep on track on better and avoid starvation or poor food choices because of calories...

Just my thoughts based on my scenario.

What is/are yours?

Ps. If you've got some science on this or links, I'd love to read it!

:blush: Thanks MFP'ers

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I count everything that has calories. Veggies and fruit contain calories.

What if you only have a 250 calorie deficit per day (like me), and you eat over 200 calories in fruit and veg but don't count it. This would mean your practically eating at maintenance rather than a deficit.
  • KateQuattro
    KateQuattro Posts: 20 Member
    Options

What if you only have a 250 calorie deficit per day (like me), and you eat over 200 calories in fruit and veg but don't count it. This would mean your practically eating at maintenance rather than a deficit.

True. Where others have tried this method, they've had success. Even while working towards weight loss. Is it really only strictly about calories in and out? :/
  • Christine_72
    Options

True. Where others have tried this method, they've had success. Even while working towards weight loss. Is it really only strictly about calories in and out? :/

Some people think a calorie is a calorie, others look at where the calories are coming from and feel like that makes a difference.. For example, a lot of low carbers struggled to lose weight on the calories in an out premise, but managed to lose the weight easily once they restricted carbs. Different horses for courses sorta thing.

You'll get loads of replies on this one, sit tight :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @KateQuattro , Weight Watchers typically lists fruits and vegetables as being zero points, as many of us simply don't eat enough. Zero points on a restrictive diet is pretty good motivation! To make up for this bonus, Weight Watchers also lowers the daily calorie allowance, less than is given on MFP.

But here on MFP, you don't lower your allowance less than 1,200. So you have to count everything, even fruit and veggies. I still find them highly satisfying to log, as they are so low calorie usually.

If you think the other method has more success, join Weight Watchers.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You asked for science. Here's a ten year old article that calls for better studies.

http://nutritionreviews.oxfordjournals.org/content/62/10/365

In favour of fruits and vegetables, because they typically end up being a lower calorie diet.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/6/1362.short
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Food is food. Calories are calories. If you are keeping a food diary to help with your weight loss you should track everything as accurately as you can.
    I would log everything you consume that has calories if you want to lose weight.
    if you aren't strictly accurate with the calories of a stalk of celery or bunch of spinach it might not make much difference but it could add up if you aren't logging any fruits or vegetables at all.
    You don't need to feel guilty about food or avoid foods.

I like pre-logging my food in my diary so I know it fits my calorie goal. It helps me make better choices.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

FTR I'm not a LOW carber, I just lowered them to what I was eating previously

I'm confused, Nov 16th and 17th you posted that you had tried Keto before and were now low carb, and that you're a member of the low carb group... plus I am sure I remember you posting about low carb a while back.

Anyway, back to the topic, I count everything, fruits and veggies included. We all lose weight from a calorie deficit, even low carb'ers.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    More fruit and vegetables are great but if you're over your goal, you're over your goal and it doesn't matter what the calories are from weight wise.
  • Christine_72
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm confused, Nov 16th and 17th you posted that you had tried Keto before and were now low carb, and that you're a member of the low carb group... plus I am sure I remember you posting about low carb a while back.

Anyway, back to the topic, I count everything, fruits and veggies included. We all lose weight from a calorie deficit, even low carb'ers.

I just don't see 100ish grams of carbs a day low carb. The low carb group is informative, peaceful, helpful and best of all no trolls or drama. Sometimes It's nice to have a timeout from the main forums, so I will continue to regularly visit the group because I have learned a ton in the short time I've been there, and not just about carbs..
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't count veggies at all (starchy roots i.e. Potato, sweet potato are not classified as vegetables by world health organization) I do count starchy roots. Fruit i only count avacado and bananas! I have had great success doing things this way!! I also think it's a great way of teaching you to make full time lifestyle changes.....might go grab an apple now :smile:
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm tracking my calories so I track everything that has calories, which includes veggies and especially fruits!

I eat a fair amount of produce and it all adds up. For example, on Monday I ate 165 calories of vegetables (none of these were starchy), plus 61 calories worth of fruit, and 105 calories worth of starchy roots (potato). These are all weighed raw amounts, no estimates. If I wasn't tracking them it'd be a fair chunk out of my deficit and I would have no idea, which is exactly what happened the first time I tried using MFP and decided not to track them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some of what I've read in this thread.

Yes, it's true, you can lose weight without accounting for every single calorie, but for the sake of all that is holy... calories are calories.

Your body will account for the calories even if you don't, just remember that. How successful you will be with the method of not counting certain veggies will depend the quantities you're eating.

I'm just thinking here... I just ate a meal where I literally had a pound of broccoli (check my diary under lunch). That's 150 calories, right there. There are days where my intake of non-starchy veg and berries has been up to 300 calories of food. That would be an awful lot to leave unaccounted.

In fact, I used to eat 1200 calories and have that amount of intake. If you were to eat that many veggies PLUS 1200 calories? Well, you'd be getting quite a different total daily calorie count!

Count your veggies. Your body does.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I count and log everything; fruits, vegetables, beverages, condiments...they all add up and faster than one would think!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count them, because they have calories.
    1. I can consume vegetables (or non starchy ones) and fruits (the berries!) without limitation. Very encouraging for healthy food selection.
    Since veggies and fruits have calories have calories, eating them without limitiation doesn't mean you can lose weight this way. Suppose your calorie goal is 1400 calories and your maintenance calories are 1900 calories (giving you a 500 calorie deficit). You eat your meals and then you have fruits/veggies for snacks. Those can easily and quickly add up. I had a 126g apple today. That was 66 calories. I had a 92g banana the other day, that was 82 calories. See how they can add up? You could find yourself wiping away your deficit quickly, or worse, going over your maintenance calories.
    2. I can add some extra (and filling) oomph to a dish; like spinach and peppers in an omelet or extra lettuce, tomato's or cucumbers in a salad. Whats unhealthy about a lil' extra veggie?
    You can do this anyway. Why can't you add these things to your food anyway?
    3. I will pick fruit and veggies as a snack since i won't feel guilty about it.
    Why would you feel guilty about eating anything?
    4. For my specific calorie goal, I try to consume 1200 calories a day/base. It's had to get healthy, protein and good fat packed foods in and still have room for all those other wonderfully healthy foods. At 1200 calories, every calorie counts. So that onion and garlic that I love to saute in coconut oil (I would of course count the oil calories) with my chicken, just doesn't make the cut. :neutral:
    You can always exercise to increase your goal and maintain your same deficit. You don't have to make concessions. You may also want to re-evaluate whether your goal is too aggressive.
    5. Extra fiber! :+1:
    Fiber is good.
    Cons:
    2. I will be over the "1200 calorie" mark, most certainly.
    So do you want your diary to just look good on paper? Don't you want to log honestly and accurately so that you lose weight? What if you find yourself not losing weight? Wouldn't you want to be able to see why and adjust accordingly? And why can't you fit them into your calorie goal anyway? Why not increase your goal to fit them? Does being in the red bother you so much? Bump up your calories and you'll be in the green, albeit with a slightly smaller deficit. It's really not that big of a deal. You just lose weight a little slower. Big deal.

• summerkissed
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can't believe some of what I've read in this thread.

Yes, it's true, you can lose weight without accounting for every single calorie, but for the sake of all that is holy... calories are calories.

Your body will account for the calories even if you don't, just remember that. How successful you will be with the method of not counting certain veggies will depend the quantities you're eating.

I'm just thinking here... I just ate a meal where I literally had a pound of broccoli (check my diary under lunch). That's 150 calories, right there. There are days where my intake of non-starchy veg and berries has been up to 300 calories of food. That would be an awful lot to leave unaccounted.

In fact, I used to eat 1200 calories and have that amount of intake. If you were to eat that many veggies PLUS 1200 calories? Well, you'd be getting quite a different total daily calorie count!

Count your veggies. Your body does.

What can't you believe?? The fact that people like me don't log veggies or fruit? Think about it for a moment.........
    •Fact 90% of people DONT eat enough fruit and veggies
    •Fact 90% of people don't reach minimum daily fibre intake
    •Fact fibre makes you feel full
    •People with diets low in fibre have trouble loosing weight
    •Studies have shown that increasing a persons fibre from fruit and veggies without changing overall calorie intake can result in weight loss (so by just replacing some food with fibre rich fruit and veggies)

Just think for a moment if instead of grabbing something not so good for you, with very little fibre and little nutrition and logging it, you thought I'll grab an apple or a carrot that contains lots of fibre and nutritional value but also made you feel full and not thinking about logging it, would you then stop eating so much of the foods that got you in a bad place already?? What if it changed the way you actually thought about food??
    I have competed in 4 figure comps eating this way and I've also changed the lives of many people by using this method! Instead of reading labels and constantly logging food I've taught them to grab natures food without a second thought!

BTW eating a pound of broccoli isn't normal (but still only 120cals)!! I couldn't eat a pound steak (800+ cals) or a pound of chocolate (2000+ cals) And I very much doubt someone that could eat 1200 cals worth of veggies and fruit would have room left for anything else let alone the time to eat that amount or much time off the toilet due to the fibre content!!!

Ohhhh and my base cals is 1600 I also eat back my exercise cals on top of that bringing me in at about 2000 a day that's without logging the fruit and veggies I eat......and guess what??? I'm still losing Fat at a very steady rate!!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    @PeachyCarol are you sure you are logging and weighing properly?? I just used my electric scales to weigh 1 pound of cauliflower......there is no way I could eat that in one sitting!!!! 1 pound of cartots is 7 big cartots! If I ate those I wouldn't eat my dinner tonight!! I'd be full for the rest of the day on under 150cals!!! ucnimmbn2tte.jpg
    pdb97lq06uon.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @PeachyCarol are you sure you are logging and weighing properly?? I just used my electric scales to weigh 1 pound of cauliflower......there is no way I could eat that in one sitting!!!! 1 pound of cartots is 7 big cartots! If I ate those I wouldn't eat my dinner tonight!! I'd be full for the rest of the day on under 150cals!!! ucnimmbn2tte.jpg
    pdb97lq06uon.jpg

I use a scale and I regularly eat close to a pound of broccoli or cauliflower as part of my dinner. Maybe some people would be full on a pound of vegetables, but I'm usually not.

OP, my body counts all the calories in fruits and vegetables, so I do too. If I consume more than my body is burning, my body doesn't care if it is from broccoli, bananas, wine, or chocolate chip cookies.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    pdb97lq06uon.jpg

I use a scale and I regularly eat close to a pound of broccoli or cauliflower as part of my dinner. Maybe some people would be full on a pound of vegetables, but I'm usually not.

OP, my body counts all the calories in fruits and vegetables, so I do too. If I consume more than my body is burning, my body doesn't care if it is from broccoli, bananas, wine, or chocolate chip cookies.

This is where portion sizes come into play big time!!! And what is a normal portion size? And how you train your body to feel full on normal portion sizes! Being able to consume huge amounts of food and not feeling full is another big part of the puzzle that needs to be corrected!