Do you count the calories in fruits and vegtables?

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Wow the 10% of the population that eats enough fruit and veggies is on this thread......just imagine the chances of that!!!!

Well because this is a calorie counting site that promotes health and fitness , I would say most of the long time members here are concerned with their nutrition. Some , like myself, even count macros and micros here . so it's not at all surprising that there is a group of people here who eat enough veggies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Wow the 10% of the population that eats enough fruit and veggies is on this thread......just imagine the chances of that!!!!

Uh, you're on a weight and fitness forum, in a thread about vegetables. I'd say statistically, the odds are a bit skewed in that direction...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Uh, you're on a weight and fitness forum, in a thread about vegetables. I'd say statistically, the odds are a bit skewed in that direction...

heheheh well said.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Why on earth was this flagged?
  • Alatariel75
    edited November 2015
    Options

Because some people are flag-happy individuals who have a minuscule threshold for adult conversation and believe that "abuse" involves anyone saying anything that is even vaguely contrary to their personal opinion.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Because some people are flag-happy twits who have a minuscule threshold for adult conversation and believe that "abuse" involves anyone saying anything that is even vaguely contrary to their personal opinion.

Unbelievable. I'm afraid you're probably right..
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Somebody was bored?

Somebody was offended?

Somebody misunderstood or lost the context what was written?

Who knows.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Somebody was bored?

Somebody was offended?

Somebody misunderstood or lost the context what was written?

Who knows.

It was Wednesday?

Veggies is a dirty word?

Exclamation points are evil?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Hahaha point taken. I don't think I've ever flagged anyone. It reminds me of the tattlers in primary school which nobody liked :huh:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I never said she eats too much veg I said that in one sitting if that is a normal meal size then her portion sizes are out.....or is that the only thing on the plate? I doubt it!! My referral to the other foods are cals in relation to portion size...which brings us back to logging fruit and veg! The weight, and cal contents have HUGE differences which is why I teach my girls to eat up the fruit and veg and not to worry about logging (but on saying that I've not come across a girl that eats a pound of broccoli for lunch or dinner and if they did wasn't bloated and full) and if I did I'd be changing that habit for a more proportionally balanced meal and portion size...I'm yet to have one girl not be successful!!! There portion and food decisions are awesome and that is showing!!

My lunch yesterday was 464 grams (1.02 pounds) of brocoli, 175 grams of mixed peppers and grean beans, 17gs of spinach, 427 grams of skinless chicken breast, and 2 high fiber torilla wraps. I was full but not bloated. My fiber for the whole day was 52 grams, 34 of it in that meal. If lack of processed food meant I was supposed to be excessively full on that, I'd end up starving to death without processed food screwing up my appetite, because that lunch was 1142 calories, and I had an estimated burn of 3192 calories.
    Most days during the work week my lunches include around 1 pound of vegetables.
  • senecarr
    Options

Yeah it's funny, when I take a poll of medical staff, I get a higher than expected number of people who have a college education! When I poll people at the humane society, I get a higher than expect number rate of pet ownership!
    It's almost like there is a bias in the population selected.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,149 Member
    Options
    1) I count everything.

2) I eat a lot of fruit and veg.

3) I've lost 55 lbs that way ... so something seems to be working. :)

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I count, and log, everything. Fruits and vegetables have calories. Some more than others.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Yeah it's funny, when I take a poll of medical staff, I get a higher than expected number of people who have a college education! When I poll people at the humane society, I get a higher than expect number rate of pet ownership!

:noway: [/sarcasm]
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,149 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I count, and log, everything. Fruits and vegetables have calories. Some more than others.

Yes ... take mangos for example. They are my favourite fruit, but I'm having to do some shuffling of the other things I eat in order to fit them in because .... they are 200 calories.

If I were on a 1200 cal diet, that's 1/6th of my day's total right there. Fortunately I'm eating a bit more than that, but even so, 200 cal for a fruit is still quite a bit.

• senecarr
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

There was absolutely no sarcasm in those examples. Not one single gram, and definitely not one whole pound of it.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

There was absolutely no sarcasm in those examples. Not one single gram, and definitely not one whole pound of it.

I hope you logged that pound.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't count green veggies. The amount of calories in them is fairly minimal for a couple of "standard" size servings (not a 1lb). I count fruits and things like carrots because it's easy to eat a few hundred calories with a a couple of servings. You can just try to see what works for you. If you have enough of a deficit, it probably won't make much of a difference and be less stressful. But if a 100 calories here and there over your target would stop you from losing weight, then it might make a difference.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    200 cals from tomatoes for example are the same 200 cals from chocolate or from meat in terms of cals

I can eat a couple of apples and easily take 200 cals - so everything needs to be counted
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    @PeachyCarol are you sure you are logging and weighing properly?? I just used my electric scales to weigh 1 pound of cauliflower......there is no way I could eat that in one sitting!!!! 1 pound of cartots is 7 big cartots! If I ate those I wouldn't eat my dinner tonight!! I'd be full for the rest of the day on under 150cals!!! ucnimmbn2tte.jpg
    pdb97lq06uon.jpg

Check my diary. 454 grams of broccoli.

That you don't think it's "normal" doesn't bother me. You're not the food police. I tossed it with bean pasta and parmesan cheese with some butter and nutmeg. It was tasty, nutritious and filling.

I regularly eat veggies in quantity. I LIKE them. They're low cal and filling.

You've made my point for me, though.

You can get away with not logging veggies if you're not eating them in quantity. If you're eating them in quantity?

Well, the calories add up.

And you know what? You should be eating them in quantity. They're nutrient-packed. Maybe get more variety than me, but I'm moving this week and rushed for time.