Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you count the calories in fruits and vegtables?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    justrollme wrote: »
    @christinev297 Roast it! :D It shrinks up like crazy, and is sooooo delicious!

That's the thing. Cooking shrinks veggies WAY down.
  • KateQuattro
    KateQuattro Posts: 20 Member
    Wow, lots of great info here. Most of which, pointing to the same conclusion.

For those asking, 1200 cals is MFP's suggestion as base calories, white exercising I would get more. I'm not sure why it's so tight... I'm 5'5", currently 170lbs and intent even suggest 2 lbs a week, it said 1 lb a week max.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I just found this thread and am confused at what I've read so far. Let me see if I've got this right...

OP it sounds like you are trying to figure out a way to "cheat" the system by looking for foods that you can eat in unlimited quantities without logging. As others have pointed out, whether you log them or not, the calories in them count. Are you averse to logging for some reason? I don't really understand why you would log some things and not others?

Also, I'm amused at advice being given to some of the successful people on MFP (one that is a vegetarian and one that is a vegan) that they are eating too many vegetables because their portion size requirements are skewed due to over consumption of processed foods?

Did I read that correctly?
  • KateQuattro
    KateQuattro Posts: 20 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I just found this thread and am confused at what I've read so far. Let me see if I've got this right...

OP it sounds like you are trying to figure out a way to "cheat" the system by looking for foods that you can eat in unlimited quantities without logging. As others have pointed out, whether you log them or not, the calories in them count. Are you averse to logging for some reason? I don't really understand why you would log some things and not others?

Also, I'm amused at advice being given to some of the successful people on MFP (one that is a vegetarian and one that is a vegan) that they are eating too many vegetables because their portion size requirements are skewed due to over consumption of processed foods?

I wouldn't say cheat but I suppose that's an accurate term, hahaha. A few people I know have had success with this method - for weight loss. So I thought I would vet the MFP community for their opinions. After which I agree that although fruits and vegetables are healthy, they should be logged and going over my calorie count a tad don't kill me. :P
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited November 2015
    Here's something else to consider. Not logging is erasing knowledge. If in a few weeks you aren't seeing the results you expected, you will have no way of knowing if the fruit and vegetables had anything to do with it.

People can lose weight accidentally in many ways. They may restrict a certain food group. They may only shop on the perimeter of the stores. They stop eating after dinner. Or they may be like your friends and monitor all their foods except fruits and vegetables. My daughter-in-law lost 26 pounds in three months chiefly by cutting sugar soda from her diet. These are mental tricks or rules, fairly easy to follow, that can lead to success. But they all won the same way; by keeping at a calorie deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I wouldn't say cheat but I suppose that's an accurate term, hahaha. A few people I know have had success with this method - for weight loss. So I thought I would vet the MFP community for their opinions. After which I agree that although fruits and vegetables are healthy, they should be logged and going over my calorie count a tad don't kill me. :P
    Are the friends who are doing this also using MFP? Or another system, like WW? As others have said, WW allows for unlimited fruits and veggies (I think, I've never tried WW) but if you are using MFP it is really designed to track everything.

The other thing I would suggest for you is to read the "Most Helpful" threads at the top of each forum section: getting started, food and nutrition, etc. There is a wealth of knowledge in those about how to best set up your goals in MFP, how to understand your TDEE and set a reasonable calorie deficit, how to log accurately, why you should eat back exercise cals, etc.

My standard advice, and I'm by no means an expert but I've been logging for over 1000 days consistently, achieved my 30 lb weight loss goal and am successfully maintaining, FWIW...

1. Have reasonable expectations for total pounds to lose and rate of loss (if aiming for 25-50 lbs it should be 1 lb/week, if under 25 lbs maybe 0.5 lb/week is more appropriate)
    2. Enter those goals along with accurate stats into MFP to get an appropriate calorie deficit (1200 may be too low)
    3. Log everything, using a food scale preferably for the most accuracy.
    4. Eat primarily nutrient dense foods but leave room for foods you enjoy as treats or indulgences or what have you.
    5. Exercise if you enjoy it, making sure you eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories.
    6. Don't rely on quick fixes, gimmicks or tricks to get around the system. Eat the way you enjoy eating and can sustain forever.
    7. Be patient.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If I don't count the calories from vegetables and fruits I will end up with 500-1000 calories net a day. Seeing that I consume 1500 calories in average I will actually gain weight if I attempt to hit my calorie goal without counting vegetables and fruits. I snack on tomatoes and cucumbers consistently throughout the day and eat at least 2 pounds in tomatoes alone, not to mention all the different vegetables I have with my meals. Sometimes I even have full meals that are nothing but fruits.

This strategy may work for someone who does not eat many vegetables and fruits to encourage them to eat more of them, but would leave me absolutely unable to tell if I'm losing, maintaining or gaining until it shows on the scale.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

Yuppers!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat a few hundred calories worth of fruit and vegetables daily...not sure why those calories wouldn't count.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    kkenseth wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Wow the 10% of the population that eats enough fruit and veggies is on this thread......just imagine the chances of that!!!!

Why on earth was this flagged?

Somebody was bored?

Somebody was offended?

Somebody misunderstood or lost the context what was written?

Who knows.

It was Wednesday?

Veggies is a dirty word?

Exclamation points are evil?

For sharts and googles I had yams for breakfast this AM. I found, and my math could be off, the grams to calories worked out pretty well. And yes, they were dirty yams, so I cleaned them and then ran a 5k. Happy Thanksgiving people! I also added sugar(brown) and butter. So a little evil with dirty. . . .muah ha hahahaha.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I count everything that has calories. Veggies and fruit contain calories.

What if you only have a 250 calorie deficit per day (like me), and you eat over 200 calories in fruit and veg but don't count it. This would mean your practically eating at maintenance rather than a deficit.

True. Where others have tried this method, they've had success. Even while working towards weight loss. Is it really only strictly about calories in and out? :/

yes, it is, as it is basic math.

• oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    For MFP to work the way it is supposed to a calorie is a calorie and all need to be counted. I used to be on 1200 calories a day and found that too hard to stick to and if I went over I got frustrated and would quit. I have changed to 1500/day and find it much easier to stay under my calorie goal while still having a daily deficit. That way there is room for those extra veggies that can make food that much more interesting. I think it is much more of a sustainable lifestyle.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Laughing at the notion that a pound of cauliflower is a huge amount no one should eat.
  • stevencloser

Did you know a pound of brussel sprouts fills an entire baking tray but is only half a plate once they're done?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I ate 272 calories of veg yesterday. Count everything.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited November 2015

Did you know a pound of brussel sprouts fills an entire baking tray but is only half a plate once they're done?

...And now I want roasted brussel sprouts TYVM...with bacon of course

I think I still have some frozen from the garden *adds to dinner list*
  • stevencloser
    You're welcome. I cut them in half with the cut side on top, sprinkle olive oil on them, then salt and pepper. I got that from some blog called the 99 cent chef or something along those lines I don't remember. I don't eat brussel sprouts any other way ever since.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    You're welcome. I cut them in half with the cut side on top, sprinkle olive oil on them, then salt and pepper. I got that from some blog called the 99 cent chef or something along those lines I don't remember. I don't eat brussel sprouts any other way ever since.

I do mine the same way, except without the pepper. We do them until they are caramelized, yum! Now I want a pound of roasted brussels sprouts, and I can't, I have to go to work :'(
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Laughing at the notion that a pound of cauliflower is a huge amount no one should eat.

It is by virtue of being cauliflower. It may be the worst of the cruciferous family.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I never said she eats too much veg I said that in one sitting if that is a normal meal size then her portion sizes are out.....or is that the only thing on the plate? I doubt it!! My referral to the other foods are cals in relation to portion size...which brings us back to logging fruit and veg! The weight, and cal contents have HUGE differences which is why I teach my girls to eat up the fruit and veg and not to worry about logging (but on saying that I've not come across a girl that eats a pound of broccoli for lunch or dinner and if they did wasn't bloated and full) and if I did I'd be changing that habit for a more proportionally balanced meal and portion size...I'm yet to have one girl not be successful!!! There portion and food decisions are awesome and that is showing!!

The two people you are saying eat too many vegetables are a vegetarian and a vegan. What's wrong with having lots of vegetables? Why is a meal with a lot of vegetables bad just because it isn't "normal"?

I'm glad your "girls" are successful, but Carol and I are pretty successful too. She's made awe-inspiring progress to her goals, I'm maintaining my weight loss comfortably. You shouldn't dismiss the way other people eat just because it isn't your method. I can and do eat large amounts of vegetables without bloating.