Do you count the calories in fruits and vegtables?

Options

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to being rude here if it comes across that way but eating unhealthy processed foods (empty calories) has taught you you consume large quantities without feeling full.....this needs to be corrected to help you be successful in changing lifestyles permanently!

Sorry @KateQuattro for taking over the post but I'm very passionate about changing attitudes towards food for the better! No one wants to need to log food for the rest of there lives so as to not put on weight or be unhealthy!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @PeachyCarol are you sure you are logging and weighing properly?? I just used my electric scales to weigh 1 pound of cauliflower......there is no way I could eat that in one sitting!!!! 1 pound of cartots is 7 big cartots! If I ate those I wouldn't eat my dinner tonight!! I'd be full for the rest of the day on under 150cals!!! ucnimmbn2tte.jpg
    pdb97lq06uon.jpg

I use a scale and I regularly eat close to a pound of broccoli or cauliflower as part of my dinner. Maybe some people would be full on a pound of vegetables, but I'm usually not.

OP, my body counts all the calories in fruits and vegetables, so I do too. If I consume more than my body is burning, my body doesn't care if it is from broccoli, bananas, wine, or chocolate chip cookies.

This is where portion sizes come into play big time!!! And what is a normal portion size? And how you train your body to feel full on normal portion sizes! Being able to consume huge amounts of food and not feeling full is another big part of the puzzle that needs to be corrected!

I don't think the fact that a couple hundred calories doesn't leave me full for hours needs to be corrected -- I like to eat lots of vegetables. If a few carrots left me full for the rest of the day, I would struggle to maintain my weight.

A pound of broccoli isn't what I consider a "huge" amount of food. A handful of broccoli doesn't seem like a portion size to me (although if it works for other people, that's great). I'm maintaining my weight comfortably and setting PRs in running regularly. Nothing needs to be "corrected."
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    So many consecutive posts it makes it hard to know where to begin.

1. Carol is right, people starting out, or people with small margins of error (low TDEE due to being small for example) should weigh their fruits and vegetables.
    2. You say that 90% of people don't eat enough fruits and veg, but then you say that Carol & Jane are eating too much? PS, cooked they would have a lot less weight than raw. By the way, I happily eat a pound or more of berries every day in the summer, and they are all weighed, and with milk, a dash of cream, and white sugar.
    3. Comparing eating a pound of broccoli to a pound of steak makes no sense, since most of the broccoli is water weight, which is why it's low in calories.
    No one wants to need to log food for the rest of there lives so as to not put on weight or be unhealthy!
    Who ever said that people need to log for the rest of their life??? I logged while I was losing, and have maintained for 8 months in a 3 pound range, with no logging since the summer. I still weigh sometimes though, to check my portions.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to being rude here if it comes across that way but eating unhealthy processed foods (empty calories) has taught you you consume large quantities without feeling full.....this needs to be corrected to help you be successful in changing lifestyles permanently!

Sorry @KateQuattro for taking over the post but I'm very passionate about changing attitudes towards food for the better! No one wants to need to log food for the rest of there lives so as to not put on weight or be unhealthy!

How do you know she eats "unhealthy" processed foods? IMO, there's nothing wrong with processed foods. Heck, if you wash your fruits and veggies, technically it's been processed. If a butcher cuts your meat, it's been processed. I know that's getting nitty gritty, but it's all about perspective. And just because @PeachyCarol logs a pound of veggies doesn't mean there's anything wrong or needs to be corrected. That's a pretty big assumption on your part.

And I also happen to disagree about wanting to log food for the rest of their lives. I actually do. Because it allows me to see if I'm in need of certain macros, or if I'm consuming too much sodium... or any host of reasons. I've logged 900 days as of today and I look forward to the next 900. This has become part of my life... just like brushing my teeth, I log my food.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I never said she eats too much veg I said that in one sitting if that is a normal meal size then her portion sizes are out.....or is that the only thing on the plate? I doubt it!! My referral to the other foods are cals in relation to portion size...which brings us back to logging fruit and veg! The weight, and cal contents have HUGE differences which is why I teach my girls to eat up the fruit and veg and not to worry about logging (but on saying that I've not come across a girl that eats a pound of broccoli for lunch or dinner and if they did wasn't bloated and full) and if I did I'd be changing that habit for a more proportionally balanced meal and portion size...I'm yet to have one girl not be successful!!! There portion and food decisions are awesome and that is showing!!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If not counting fruits and veggies allows you to lose weight, then the bottom line trumps any 'logic' people may throw your way. They might be correct but you will be skinny.
    HOWEVER, if you do not lose by doing that...they have every right to scream "I told you so!"

Pretty sure everyone has a few habits and tendencies that aren't strict MFP calorie counting cico 101, but still succeed. You asked for advice, got some great stuff, but ultimately what works for you is all that matters.
    Good luck.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

How do you know she eats "unhealthy" processed foods? IMO, there's nothing wrong with processed foods. Heck, if you wash your fruits and veggies, technically it's been processed. If a butcher cuts your meat, it's been processed. I know that's getting nitty gritty, but it's all about perspective. And just because @PeachyCarol logs a pound of veggies doesn't mean there's anything wrong or needs to be corrected. That's a pretty big assumption on your part.

This. It's an absurd assumption.

I'm another who logs vegetables (and fruit) because I eat a LOT of vegetables and want to know what my real calorie count is. I suppose if I tended to not eat many or needed to force myself to eat more by pretending like they were "free" I might feel differently.

How I approach it is that for me vegetables are a non-negotiable. I've always eaten lots (yes, even when I was gaining weight -- NOT due to lots of "unhealthy" processed foods, for the record, but eating mostly whole foods and so-called "healthy" stuff, just too much). So I eat multiple servings with all meals, and then add some protein and whatever else I want to eat in that meal. I log everything -- in fact, that helps me see that I'm getting as many vegetables as I want and a variety of them, that I am not in a rut with my selections. If I am not losing and can see how many calories I'm really eating (let's say 1600), I can then cut calories. I wouldn't cut the vegetable calories, though (I'd be more likely to start subbing more vegetables for some starchy things, as that's how I now cut dinner calories if I happen to eat a bit more in my other meals than intended and want a light dinner).

I fit in plenty of vegetables without trying that hard when I was at 1250 too (I tended to cut down on sweets and starches and added fat or fattier meats -- it wasn't low fat at all, though). However, most people likely should not be at 1200, and of course when you exercise you get more calories. So I certainly would not forsake vegetables to meet a 1200 limit. (I might eat a bit less of some fruits, but that's precisely why it would be especially inaccurate to not log fruit.)

Essentially if you don't log fruits and veg you are eating more calories than you are logging. Seems more helpful to me to log everything and just raise your calorie limit by whatever you think the average cals are in the fruits and veg -- whatever the # of calories you hope to eat of them. And then make sure you eat them.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I never said she eats too much veg I said that in one sitting if that is a normal meal size then her portion sizes are out.....or is that the only thing on the plate? I doubt it!! My referral to the other foods are cals in relation to portion size...which brings us back to logging fruit and veg! The weight, and cal contents have HUGE differences which is why I teach my girls to eat up the fruit and veg and not to worry about logging (but on saying that I've not come across a girl that eats a pound of broccoli for lunch or dinner and if they did wasn't bloated and full) and if I did I'd be changing that habit for a more proportionally balanced meal and portion size...I'm yet to have one girl not be successful!!! There portion and food decisions are awesome and that is showing!!

You said 'it isn't normal' and 'it needs to be corrected' so I don't know how you can say you didn't say that a pound of broccoli was too much.

Again, I strongly disagree with telling people not to weigh their fruits and vegetables. You are doing them a disservice. It's easy, and it gives you knowledge, and knowledge is power.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Well I often eat a pound of cauliflower in a sitting , and I weigh it and log it. There's nothing wrong with that, because its a food I like. There's nothing wrong with someone eating a pound of broccoli or cauliflower in a sitting, if that's what they enjoy and it fits into their calories and macros. Some people like larger lunches. No big deal .there's certainly nothing wrong with me and I eat vegetables by the pound often.

As far as the op - food is food, calories are calories. I weigh everything and log it here . ( in time you'll likely be able to eyeball it , I have been doing this for years so I get pretty close. But it still doesn't hurt to weigh everything, especially if your new. It takes time to learn how much calories food has an what amount will equal what calories , so the food scale makes things easy. The more accurate , the better !)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I never eat a lb of anything, but I routinely eat 100-150 g each of 3-4 different vegetables with a meal, which amounts to the same thing, size-wise. I don't think it's weird at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I just weighed 500g of broccoli :open_mouth: Yowsa's it is a lot. I'd have to be ravenous to get that lot down, and I've got a big appetite.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    @PeachyCarol are you sure you are logging and weighing properly?? I just used my electric scales to weigh 1 pound of cauliflower......there is no way I could eat that in one sitting!!!! 1 pound of cartots is 7 big cartots! If I ate those I wouldn't eat my dinner tonight!! I'd be full for the rest of the day on under 150cals!!! ucnimmbn2tte.jpg
    pdb97lq06uon.jpg

I use a scale and I regularly eat close to a pound of broccoli or cauliflower as part of my dinner. Maybe some people would be full on a pound of vegetables, but I'm usually not.

OP, my body counts all the calories in fruits and vegetables, so I do too. If I consume more than my body is burning, my body doesn't care if it is from broccoli, bananas, wine, or chocolate chip cookies.

+1 And I regularly eat that much of various veggies as part of a meal, too. Logging all calories, regardless of from which foods is critical if you want to know a reasonably accurate total of your CI. Is it possible to lose weight without knowledge of that total? Yes, but that has solely to do with a deficit still existing. Personally, while losing, I prefer to know I'm in a deficit, rather than just hoping that I am.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    @christinev297 Roast it! :D It shrinks up like crazy, and is sooooo delicious!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    @christinev297 Roast it! :D It shrinks up like crazy, and is sooooo delicious!

Yum, I love roasted broccoli, drizzled with olive oil and garlic :lol:
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I think a lot of this " I don't have to weigh veggies " comes from the myth that people don't gain weight from eating healthy or "clean ". When in fact, all that's needed to gain weight is a calorie surplus. If I ate at a surplus, while only eating "clean" foods - I would still gain weight.
    Calorie surplus - weight gain
    Calorie deficit - weight loss

I have known clean eating vegans who have Gained weight while eating healthy " clean " foods

I also know people who have lost weight while eating McDonalds and donuts.

.this is because it comes down to calories.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some of what I've read in this thread.

Yes, it's true, you can lose weight without accounting for every single calorie, but for the sake of all that is holy... calories are calories.

Your body will account for the calories even if you don't, just remember that. How successful you will be with the method of not counting certain veggies will depend the quantities you're eating.

I'm just thinking here... I just ate a meal where I literally had a pound of broccoli (check my diary under lunch). That's 150 calories, right there. There are days where my intake of non-starchy veg and berries has been up to 300 calories of food. That would be an awful lot to leave unaccounted.

In fact, I used to eat 1200 calories and have that amount of intake. If you were to eat that many veggies PLUS 1200 calories? Well, you'd be getting quite a different total daily calorie count!

Count your veggies. Your body does.

Alllllll of this. I was on a, "mostly fruits and vegetables," diet for all of 2014 and I was gaining weight. If I wasn't counting fruits and vegetables, I was probably eating 1200 calories a day and gaining weight. That is not possible because I was probably eating, easily, 1500 calories in fruits and vegetables.

Now I'm counting EVERYTHING and losing while enjoying the little, "bad," foods I was not able to enjoy before.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I ate over a pound of veg with dinner last night, once I chopped it up and roasted it, it wasn't that much at all. I also logged it all, because I like to know what I actually eat rather than lying to myself about fruit and veg not counting (a reason I left WW).
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Wow the 10% of the population that eats enough fruit and veggies is on this thread......just imagine the chances of that!!!!
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I ate over a pound of veg with dinner last night, once I chopped it up and roasted it, it wasn't that much at all. I also logged it all, because I like to know what I actually eat rather than lying to myself about fruit and veg not counting (a reason I left WW).

I knew a girl who was a long time " clean " eater. She wouldn't touch any processed foods, everything was fresh veggies, fresh fruits, fresh meats and guess what ?!? She was still gaining weight. She couldn't understand it ( she had read some derpy book about eating clean and followed every word of it thinking she'd lose weight because the book said so . she followed the books guidelines for almost 27 months )
    Finally when she learned about cico, she realized why she was gaining. It was about the calories. It was a major blow to her ego, as she truly believed that book to be a good source of info but unfortunately had to learn the hard way.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Your body counts those calories, whether you put them in your diary or not.

Also, why are you trying to stay _under_ 1200 calories???
    Are you so short (5' or less) that 120 lb would be a healthy weight?
    For women of average height, 1200 cal/day is the minimum to eat in order to get all the necessary nutrition.

There's nothing wrong with someone eating a pound of broccoli or cauliflower in a sitting
    As long as they've worked up to it & are used to it,
    or live & work alone.
    Doing that when you haven't regularly been eating cruciferous veggies will cause severe... um... gastrointestinal distress.