Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    facebook is hilarious right now
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    if we all agreed on everything, the world would be a boring place. There's just a right way and wrong way to disagree.
    You and he would probably be the first to report a thread if it was something you found against the rules. If it is a topic you agree with you don't care what the rules are.

I have reported you for being a fake profile. You just joined the site, your first forum past was today and you somehow end up only in a relationship thread before switching over to this DOMA thread...how convenient. Are you Lone_Wolf? I bet you are. If not, you're still just a troll. TROLL!
    I have my bet on Mrsallypants.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    if we all agreed on everything, the world would be a boring place. There's just a right way and wrong way to disagree.
    You and he would probably be the first to report a thread if it was something you found against the rules. If it is a topic you agree with you don't care what the rules are.

I have reported you for being a fake profile. You just joined the site, your first forum past was today and you somehow end up only in a relationship thread before switching over to this DOMA thread...how convenient. Are you Lone_Wolf? I bet you are. If not, you're still just a troll. TROLL!

Nah, doubt it was a troll. Trolls are usually MUCH more obvious ... there is a chance that the person genuinely just joined recently and was just hanging out on the forums. I didn't really care for their assumption that we'd all instantly report a thread we disagreed with. I'd like to think most of us are a little better than that. Ah well. Such is.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I got back from my morning walk, and was greeted at the door by my mom, yelling, "We won!" I was still on my endorphin rush, and wasn't sure what she was talking about. My son is gay, and I am so relieved that one day, he may be able to find and be with the love of his life, equally.

<3 YES!
  • jenifr818
    Options

Nah, what's gonna be hilarious is when I go to my (VERY CONSERVATIVE) in-laws house next week. I can hear this conversation already ... you think things get ugly in the forums? You ain't seen nothing, and I promise the ugliness won't be coming out of me :grumble:
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Nah, what's gonna be hilarious is when I go to my (VERY CONSERVATIVE) in-laws house next week. I can hear this conversation already :grumble:

I live in tx you should hear the conversations at the gas station this morning
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Nah, what's gonna be hilarious is when I go to my (VERY CONSERVATIVE) in-laws house next week. I can hear this conversation already :grumble:
    ...and my eyes are rolling as I'm just thinking about what my parents are probably hearing on FOX News right now :laugh:
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That was nice, now hopefully Prop 8 might get taken down too.
  • jenifr818
    Options
    First off I want to say I completely disagree with Lone_Wolf. I do think this is something worth celebrating.

That said I think Lone_Wolf and everyone who agrees with him should be allowed to rain on our parade and that we should just learn to dance in the rain.

We are having this conversation in an open chat forum on the internet. This means we should expect that not everyone is going to agree with us and that even those that disagree with us should have the right to post the same as we do.

I say that the best thing to do is to put their comments through logical scrutiny. If they can defend their position with logic then they their position deserves to be heard. If their position does not stand up to logic then it deserves to be publicly destroyed.

I welcome everyone's input because I certainly don't want mine excluded.

I also think that they should be allowed to make a thread lamenting the loss of DOMA's power and they should expect people like me to be in there debating with them.

You don't make the rules for MFP. This is a divisice topic and should not be allowed to be up.

if this is a divisive topic and shouldn't be allowed to be up, then my existence is divisive.

To which I give a hearty *kitten* YOU!

:bigsmile: that probably just guaranteed the demise of this thread, but agree with your main point. Your very existence and the rights that come along with it SHOULDN'T be divisive
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    I think it is interesting to see how people react to things like this...

Someone on here said we shouldn't be proud because the ruling wasn't 9-0. I hear ya, but at the same time, if you read the court's opinions (including dissent) the Court wasn't just making a determination about the Constitutionality of DOMA, but about the Court's place in making a decision. There was a huge question of standing. We can't have a supreme court that knocks down a law as unconstitutional any time they want- there has to be an actual controversy with real impacts in order for the SCOTUS to review...

In this case, standing was iffy. What is really interesting to me is that the standing was iffy because the Obama administration had a policy of refusing tax exemptions to gay couples, but also had a policy of not challenging any court case they lost... meaning if you were gay and wanting your spousal tax break, you would had to sue the IRS in court, you would win, and then there would never be a case with standing to go to SCOTUS to challenge DOMA.

Clever clever president. Way to sit on the fence.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    I also think that people who take this ruling as some victory for queers need to... yes yes celebrate because the real impact in the lives of queers is positive BUT.. the reality is the ruling wasn't so much about equality for all, but about the federalist system and the role the states play in defining marriage.

IE, don't expect NC to have recognized gay marriages any time soon.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Finally.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

if this is a divisive topic and shouldn't be allowed to be up, then my existence is divisive.

To which I give a hearty *kitten* YOU!

:bigsmile: that probably just guaranteed the demise of this thread, but agree with your main point. Your very existence and the rights that come along with it SHOULDN'T be divisive

Maybe, but people need to wise up and realize that MFP is full of people who are *gasp!* gay, POC, transgendered, or just politically progressive. Also, if discussing one of the most important political events of our time is "divisive" then they don't know what democracy is.

also, I agree MFP can make their own rules and the 1st amendment doesn't apply to MFP. So if MFP says it can't be here, I wouldn't expect anything less really...tho I would have a much lower opinion of the MODS here.
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options

I'm not really sure what your deal is. I am just saying we can all have civil discussions without slinging mud. I'm not a whistle blower, so I don't report threads, unless people are out and out name-calling and/or attacking other members or body bashing.

This isnt true, if someone who came in here was against gay marriage and made that clear in an educated manner without "slinging mud" i really doubt everyone would be civil and engage in discussion with said individual especially since lone_wolf got attacked for simply stateing this doesnt belong in chit chat.

Most of you preach equality, well then how come I cant put up a prayer board without being attacked by the masses on here? NO your not preaching true equality your preaching "equality only to those who agree with the masses." Bull****. Im not against gay marriage, however i am against the hypocritical direction this board is going.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I also think that people who take this ruling as some victory for queers need to... yes yes celebrate because the real impact in the lives of queers is positive BUT.. the reality is the ruling wasn't so much about equality for all, but about the federalist system and the role the states play in defining marriage.

Correct....I wonder how Prop 8 in California will play out......this could be a slippery slope where the federal gov't "could" trump states rights.....
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What a proud day to be an American - finally, it really is FREEDOM for all!

Unless you live in Oklahoma or one of the other horrible states.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

I'm not really sure what your deal is. I am just saying we can all have civil discussions without slinging mud. I'm not a whistle blower, so I don't report threads, unless people are out and out name-calling and/or attacking other members or body bashing.

This isnt true, if someone who came in here was against gay marriage and made that clear in an educated manner without "slinging mud" i really doubt everyone would be civil and engage in discussion with said individual especially since lone_wolf got attacked for simply stateing this doesnt belong in chit chat.

Most of you preach equality, well then how come I cant put up a prayer board without being attacked by the masses on here? NO your not preaching true equality your preaching "equality only to those who agree with the masses." Bull****. Im not against gay marriage, however i am against the hypocritical direction this board is going.

I preach equality for all. I cannot speak for everyone else. I think its perfectly acceptable to have your own opinion, so long as you're not attacking others. Not once did I attack anyone or say anyone was wrong for their opinions. Also, I've never gone into a prayer thread and asked that it be removed... in fact, the day the Boston bombing happened, I sent my prayers as well in a thread or two, myself. Again, I can only speak for myself and my thoughts. But, we can all agree to disagree without being ugly about it.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Correct....I wonder how Prop 8 in California will play out......this could be a slippery slope where the federal gov't "could" trump states rights.....

I only read the opinion quickly, but I found it interesting that they mentioned Loving v. Virginia and didn't follow suit. It would have been better in my opinion.
  • BurningAway
    Options

I love you, i love reading your responses your incredible! :flowerforyou:
  • BurningAway
    Options

I preach equality for all. I cannot speak for everyone else. I think its perfectly acceptable to have your own opinion, so long as you're not attacking others. Not once did I attack anyone or say anyone was wrong for their opinions. Also, I've never gone into a prayer thread and asked that it be removed... in fact, the day the Boston bombing happened, I sent my prayers as well in a thread or two, myself. Again, I can only speak for myself and my thoughts. But, we can all agree to disagree without being ugly about it.

:flowerforyou: thankyou :)
This discussion has been closed.