Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    This thread doesnt belong here.

So where does it belong?

Politics does not belong in Chit Chat.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    my guess is you don't love any gay people.

my guess is you don't stand for anything and will fall for everything.

My guess is that you are a fan of country music.

Hey! I'm a fan of country music - don't lump us in with the bigots
    Oh I like country music too. I was not saying that because he is against gay marriage. I was saying that because he is paraphrasing the lyrics to a country long.

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything- It is by Aaron Tippin

When I was a kid it came on the radio every morning so I don't think I will ever forget it.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

So where does it belong?

Well, then someone needs to start a politics group for it. In the meantime, I say this is probably the best suited place. If you don't want to read a *clearly* political thread, then don't click it. Simple enough
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    *hugs thread* :flowerforyou:
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I woke up, checked the news on my mobile and just started crying.:sad: :sad: And now that Prop 8 is also dead the good people of California will again have their legal right to equal marriage restored. Today is a brilliant day in the history of the LGB community. :smile: I hope equality begins to spread quickly across the United States and the rest of the world. :heart:

Hate to tell you this but a lot of the rest of the world (ie a lot of Europe, etc) already have equality legislation. There has been an argument about gay marriage in the UK (but not equality, we already have legal gay partnerships) with the love your neighbour crowd squealing that marriage can only be between a man and a woman, something about Leviticus I think, and the muslims not at all in favour but legislation is going ahead. Good to see America catching up!

There's no need to 'hate to tell me'. I am English and am quite familiar with what goes on back home and throughout Europe. :) My comment about equality was a declaration of hope that equality would spread to the areas of the world where equality does not currently exist. The United States still has a long way to go to catch up, which is unfortunate, but they'll get there. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

So where does it belong?

Well, then someone needs to start a politics group for it. In the meantime, I say this is probably the best suited place. If you don't want to read a *clearly* political thread, then don't click it. Simple enough

There are thousands of political groups. Feel free to join it. My point is, if this were a thread lamenting DOMA being stuck down it would last about 2 minutes before it was removed.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

You don't belong in this thread. :wink:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • jenifr818
    Options

So where does it belong?

There are thousands of political groups. Feel free to join it. My point is, if this were a thread lamenting DOMA being stuck down it would last about 2 minutes before it was removed.

I'm sure this'll be removed by the end of the day, too. :noway: In the meantime, leave us to our celebration while it lasts
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES! I know this is going to be a thread laden with differing opinions but this ruling is truly a step in the right direction. Beautiful. :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....I just took it to be celebration of equal rights, rather than politics.

Silly me, what WAS I thinking? :huh:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    glad america is joining the 21st century. Proud of my country today, and that's a rare occasion.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thbgy7tj.gif
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm lost... someone help me out here?

The supreme court just eliminated DOMA. DOMA is the defense of marriage act which was an act that defined marriage as being between one man and one women. Since there was no secular justification for the claim it was determined that the act was respecting the rules of an established religion which makes it a violation of the first amendment and therefore unconstitutional. Please bare in mind this is a laymen interpretation of the information that I have read and heard in the general media. I am sure the case was a bit more nuanced then that but in a nutshell that is what I have read so far.

I believe it was actually found unconstitutional under the 5th amendment as a deprivation of equal liberty.

The 5th amendment states that you don't have to testify against yourself in court.
    It just occurred to me that you must have meant the 14th amendment. That also sounds like a logical case for its unconstitutionality. It is messed up that an act which violates two constitutional amendments was able to survive as long as it did.

It is also a little embarrassing that it took me as long as it did to realize what you meant to say but I am a bit distracted with other stuff.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    People don't have to like it. Let them have their opinions. The world won't end, and we'll still be one step closer to treating people equally under the law.
  • jenifr818
    Options
    Lone_Wolf...go find something better to do with your time. There's no need to come in to what has been a mostly supportive and celebratory thread and try to ruin the good feels. Move on.

Excuse me?

Is that you seeing yourself out? I hope so. If so, you're excused and may pass freely through the wide open thread door back into the main forum.

:laugh: Just wanted to say you're awesome
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

My guess is that you are a fan of country music.

Hey! I'm a fan of country music - don't lump us in with the bigots

This for sure.
    I'm a huge fan of alt-country and americana. Lots of us are liberals and care about the poor, and the rights of others.
This discussion has been closed.