USA! USA! (DOMA)

Options

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It was an EPIC 24 hours, from the Texas Senate to the Supreme Court!

Absolutely this!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm a tiny bit more proud of being an American today than I ever have. Being even the slightest bit more equal is a great feeling.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am THRILLED! The first wedding I ever officiated was for two men who love each other deeply and have grandkids together.... That these people should ever have felt hurt or demeaned is a source of terrible pain to me! I hope future generations will be free of all of this devaluation and not have to contend with it EVER again! YAYYYYYY!
  • Internistella
    Internistella Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Glad to see love and equality on the boards this AM!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm lost... someone help me out here?

The supreme court just eliminated DOMA. DOMA is the defense of marriage act which was an act that defined marriage as being between one man and one women. Since there was no secular justification for the claim it was determined that the act was respecting the rules of an established religion which makes it a violation of the first amendment and therefore unconstitutional. Please bare in mind this is a laymen interpretation of the information that I have read and heard in the general media. I am sure the case was a bit more nuanced then that but in a nutshell that is what I have read so far.
  • bikeswimrunnergal
    Options
    didn't want to be that one oddball judgmental person in the thread?
    my guess is you don't even have a clue what all is involved with DOMA.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Super happy!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Welcome to 2005 lol
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    OK enlighten us
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

my guess is you don't love any gay people.
  • THE_DOCTORSWIFE
    THE_DOCTORSWIFE Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OK enlighten us
    Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act
    By Pete Williams and Erin McClam, NBC News
    In a landmark ruling for gay rights, the Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law blocking federal recognition of same-sex marriages.
    The decision was 5-4, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy. It said that the law amounted to the “deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment.”
    In a separate case, the court ruled that it could not take up a challenge to Proposition 8, the California law that banned gay marriage in that state. That decision means that gay marriage will once again be legal in California.
    The ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act means that the federal government must recognize the gay marriages deemed legal by the states — 12 plus the District of Columbia, before the California case was decided. The law helps determine who is covered by more than 1,100 federal laws, programs and benefits, including Social Security survivor benefits, immigration rights and family leave.
  • bikeswimrunnergal
    Options

my guess is you don't stand for anything and will fall for everything.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If you are pinning your hopes to the idea that we are uneducated simply because we disagree with you then you are welcome to test that assumption at your leisure.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I woke up, checked the news on my mobile and just started crying.:sad: :sad: And now that Prop 8 is also dead the good people of California will again have their legal right to equal marriage restored. Today is a brilliant day in the history of the LGB community. :smile: I hope equality begins to spread quickly across the United States and the rest of the world. :heart:
  • bikeswimrunnergal
    Options
    If you are pinning your hopes to the idea that we are uneducated simply because we disagree with you then you are welcome to test that assumption at your leisure.

my comment was for that one person and not everyone who disagrees with me.
    Options

aw, aren't you cute? Too bad you don't know me at all. I only stand for that which I believe in, and I believe in equality for all.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Just ignore the troll and let's keep this positive.

I. Am. So. Happy. Between the excitement of Texas and now living in a state that no longer has Prop8 I am a happy mess.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    OK enlighten us
    Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act
    By Pete Williams and Erin McClam, NBC News
    In a landmark ruling for gay rights, the Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law blocking federal recognition of same-sex marriages.
    The decision was 5-4, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy. It said that the law amounted to the “deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment.”
    In a separate case, the court ruled that it could not take up a challenge to Proposition 8, the California law that banned gay marriage in that state. That decision means that gay marriage will once again be legal in California.
    The ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act means that the federal government must recognize the gay marriages deemed legal by the states — 12 plus the District of Columbia, before the California case was decided. The law helps determine who is covered by more than 1,100 federal laws, programs and benefits, including Social Security survivor benefits, immigration rights and family leave.
    Lol I knew what it meant, I was wondering what it meant to bikeswimrunner
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

My guess is that she stands for equal rights among all human beings.
    Options

My guess is that she stands for equal rights among all human beings.

yes ma'am! :bigsmile: its a happy happy day!! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.