USA! USA! (DOMA)

Options

Replies

• kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm so happy. My partner and I were married five years ago in Connecticut. Now she can be on my health insurance!!!

That is amazing!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i love seeing the images of couples who have been living together for decades after they finally get married. i cant imagine what that must be like.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is good news! Shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's not enough, but it's a step in the right direction.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    its good, but a proud moment to be an american? hardly.

why not proud?

5-4 vote, about the same ratio for the sentiment of the american population. that we even needed to vote on it. i could go on. Go ahead and celebrate, its good, but proud? nah. I will pass.

but it shows that times are changing that's something to be proud of
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a tiny bit more proud of being an American today than I ever have. Being even the slightest bit more equal is a great feeling.

I am with you here....
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's not enough, but it's a step in the right direction.

Agree. Not enough but a step.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy. My partner and I were married five years ago in Connecticut. Now she can be on my health insurance!!!
    Congratulations to you....its a shame it took so long, but hopefully this is the beginning of a "new day" for people who have waited way too long to be recognized.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Proud, and yet a bit disappointed that the Supreme Court seems to have sent it back to the states.

I am especially curious to see how it will go down in California.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

Very happy for you and your partner! My uncle and his husband married in Canada and are moving back here to Houston from Tunisia today. He has patiently been awaiting the news. He will be so excited!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Proud, and yet a bit disappointed that the Supreme Court seems to have sent it back to the states.

Yeah, it seems to bounce back and forth between federal and states for the last several years. Same with the legalization of marijuana.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A "Supreme" waste of taxpayer money in my opinion.....anyone should be able to get married if they want to make the committment. I'm happy it went the way it did, but doesn't the government have bigger things to concern itself with?

LOL! It just goes to show that you do not understand how huge of an issue this is for millions of people. It's not about the ceremony. It's about legal rights to spousal benefits, immigration, adoption, and a thousand more. There are no "bigger" things than civil rights.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    hopefully this is like a snowball rolling down hill now and in a few years it wont even be an issue.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I am curious too, but the fact that the initial trial courts declaration that Prop 8 is unconstitutional is still standing I think equal marriage will be restored in California within weeks. :) Hopefully the momentum is set now and equality spreads across the country.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    So proud to be an American today. Especially with the Wendy Davis thing that happened less than 12 hours ago. I watched until 4am, crying with pride at the incredible democracy that took place in this decision. Finally fell asleep, woke up and heard about DOMA, and started crying all over again. Today will go down in history.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm lost... someone help me out here?

The supreme court just eliminated DOMA. DOMA is the defense of marriage act which was an act that defined marriage as being between one man and one women. Since there was no secular justification for the claim it was determined that the act was respecting the rules of an established religion which makes it a violation of the first amendment and therefore unconstitutional. Please bare in mind this is a laymen interpretation of the information that I have read and heard in the general media. I am sure the case was a bit more nuanced then that but in a nutshell that is what I have read so far.

I believe it was actually found unconstitutional under the 5th amendment as a deprivation of equal liberty.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    As someone who was legally allowed to marry her partner, I cannot imagine the pain of loving someone so much and wanting to spend the rest of your life with him or her, and being legally banned from being able to do so. My husband and I are an interracial couple, and our children are biracial, but we can walk down the street without feeling shame with regard to the makeup of our family. In terms of social norms, our family doesn’t fit into that perfect mold, but we are somehow accepted because my husband is a man and I am a woman. Same-sex couples deserve the right to feel accepted, and they deserve the right to not feel shame with regard to the partner with whom they have chosen to share their life, their love, and their home.

I think of my children and the dreams I have for them. I have no way of knowing who they will be when they grow up, or who they will choose as a life partner. I will love them regardless of whether or not they attend college or become successful in life. I will love them if they are gay and I will love them if they are straight. If one or both of my sons tells me that they are gay, I will be able to look them in the eye and tell them that I did my part in supporting a movement that will one day allow them to legally marry their life partner, regardless of whether their partner is a man or a woman. I will be there, and I will support my sons and the choices they make because I love them.

Ruling DOMA as unconstitutional does not violate the sanctity of marriage, in my opinion. It allows all couples the legal right to marry, and gives same sex couples the equal rights and opportunities they deserve.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

This made me cry all over again... so happy for you :heart:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I am curious too, but the fact that the initial trial courts declaration that Prop 8 is unconstitutional is still standing I think equal marriage will be restored in California within weeks. :) Hopefully the momentum is set now and equality spreads across the country.

I hope so. It was an embarrassing time to be a Californian there for a while.... :ohwell:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I tried to watch, but honestly, the whole thing made my brain hurt.

I am so glad that it went the way it did and I'm proud to be a straight ally. =)
This discussion has been closed.