USA! USA! (DOMA)

Options

Replies

• GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just for the record....the SCOTUS did NOT strike down or invalidate the entire DOMA...mainly the provision that affected Federal benefits to same sex couples and the constitutional rights of the states regarding their definition of marriage.

While opinions on the matter "may vary", let's keep the facts straight in what the SCOTUS actually did today. DOMA isn't gone, it's been modified.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    <3

Should have a been a vote of 9 to 0 though. Just common sense to give humans the right to marry.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For anyone who wants to read the opinion (there is a syllabus at the front summarizing it):

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-307_g2bh.pdf
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Just for the record....the SCOTUS did NOT strike down or invalidate the entire DOMA...mainly the provision that affected Federal benefits to same sex couples and the constitutional rights of the states regarding their definition of marriage.

While opinions on the matter "may vary", let's keep the facts straight in what the SCOTUS actually did today. DOMA isn't gone, it's been modified.

While you are correct, the precedent set by this ruling paves the way for same sex marriage. All Federal barriers are now removed as unconstitutional and this precedent should percolate down to the state courts. It will be slow going but the momentum is building.
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    Being Canadian, I haven't had to worry about the issues so many gay people face all over the world.
    I do however have many American friends who are gay and have eagerly been awaiting this news. I am so happy for them, and all Americans, about this news. It is a great start to a country that believes in equality and love being more important than religion.

Congrats to the USA today <3
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!
    certainly a step in the right direction!

photo.jpg
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!
    certainly a step in the right direction!

photo.jpg

Yay! Grumpy cat is pleased with this too. :drinker:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's a happy day for my family.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    <3

Should have a been a vote of 9 to 0 though. Just common sense to give humans the right to marry.

Hey now, you have very high expectations :D I am happy beyond words!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think it's wonderful. Too bad my state not only doesn't recognize it but has a ban against gay marriage. If my partner and I didn't have close family here, we would surely move.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I woke up, checked the news on my mobile and just started crying.:sad: :sad: And now that Prop 8 is also dead the good people of California will again have their legal right to equal marriage restored. Today is a brilliant day in the history of the LGB community. :smile: I hope equality begins to spread quickly across the United States and the rest of the world. :heart:

Hate to tell you this but a lot of the rest of the world (ie a lot of Europe, etc) already have equality legislation. There has been an argument about gay marriage in the UK (but not equality, we already have legal gay partnerships) with the love your neighbour crowd squealing that marriage can only be between a man and a woman, something about Leviticus I think, and the muslims not at all in favour but legislation is going ahead. Good to see America catching up!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    This certainly made me ridiculously happy, though I am not very popular with a lot of uber-conservatives right now. I am still in a state that doesn't recognize SSM (or even SS domestic partnership), and hearing/reading repeatedly about the demise of my soul because of my support on this? Well, it's gotten a wee bit tiresome, LOL...

I think this is awesome, and hope that at some point in the not too distant future, our state will recognize SSM. :flowerforyou:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm happy about it. Can the rest of DOMA stand alone? I'm not looking forward to the editorials that will surely come from my Southern (US) relatives. You can't have a discussion with people who barely leave the house except to mingle with people exactly like them. They even homeschool their children to avoid outside influences. I would love to explain all of this to them and why it's a good thing, but I have no foundation on which to build.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    my guess is you don't love any gay people.

my guess is you don't stand for anything and will fall for everything.

My guess is that you are a fan of country music.

Hey! I'm a fan of country music - don't lump us in with the bigots
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So proud to be an American today. Especially with the Wendy Davis thing that happened less than 12 hours ago. I watched until 4am, crying with pride at the incredible democracy that took place in this decision. Finally fell asleep, woke up and heard about DOMA, and started crying all over again. Today will go down in history.

^This right here. So proud.:smile:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm lost... someone help me out here?

The supreme court just eliminated DOMA. DOMA is the defense of marriage act which was an act that defined marriage as being between one man and one women. Since there was no secular justification for the claim it was determined that the act was respecting the rules of an established religion which makes it a violation of the first amendment and therefore unconstitutional. Please bare in mind this is a laymen interpretation of the information that I have read and heard in the general media. I am sure the case was a bit more nuanced then that but in a nutshell that is what I have read so far.

I believe it was actually found unconstitutional under the 5th amendment as a deprivation of equal liberty.

The 5th amendment states that you don't have to testify against yourself in court.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Took 'em long enough to figure out how unconstitutional it was.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    This thread doesnt belong here.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Jumping for joy this side of the Atlantic, for all my American friends, but especially those whose lives will be substantially improved by this ruling!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This thread doesnt belong here.

So where does it belong?
This discussion has been closed.