USA! USA! (DOMA)

Options
15678911»

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

This isnt true, if someone who came in here was against gay marriage and made that clear in an educated manner without "slinging mud" i really doubt everyone would be civil and engage in discussion with said individual especially since lone_wolf got attacked for simply stateing this doesnt belong in chit chat.

Most of you preach equality, well then how come I cant put up a prayer board without being attacked by the masses on here? NO your not preaching true equality your preaching "equality only to those who agree with the masses." Bull****. Im not against gay marriage, however i am against the hypocritical direction this board is going.

The problem is that there is no educated way to argue against equality under the law without being a bigot. It's just a fact. Plain as day. To stand up against bigotry is not "Intolerant" it is the right thing to do. Unless their post says "I'm against gay marriage and I know that the federal government doesn't legislate morality but I want them to make special exceptions for me" I am going to take issue.

On the other hand, I agree with you totally about the prayer board.

ETA: for the record, if someone were to say "gay marriage is against my religion" I wouldn't argue with that. But it is important to understand that our government cannot legislate religious beliefs of one religion.
    Also, FTR, lone_wolf made it clear to me that he is against gay marriage on my personal page, so.... I can't pretend he is just trying to make a point about the propriety of talking politics in a forum.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I also think that people who take this ruling as some victory for queers need to... yes yes celebrate because the real impact in the lives of queers is positive BUT.. the reality is the ruling wasn't so much about equality for all, but about the federalist system and the role the states play in defining marriage.

IE, don't expect NC to have recognized gay marriages any time soon.

Correct....I wonder how Prop 8 in California will play out......this could be a slippery slope where the federal gov't "could" trump states rights.....

Like the Civil Rights Amendment.......
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. These discussions are welcome to continue in a group.

The forum guidelines includes this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums
    Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.